Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 A good investment? MINI w/JCW GP - 08/01/06 04:55 PM
The MINI Cooper with John Cooper Works GP kit. Its oh so tempting and I dont think I would ever have to worry about needing to find a buyer down the road if I decide I need to sell it. Price = $31,500 and one is available to put down a deposit.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2006/2006-Mini-Cooper-John-Cooper-Works-GP-Tuning-FA-Speed-1024x768.jpg
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: A good investment? - 08/01/06 04:59 PM
I would not consider any new or newer vehicle an investment. They rarely ever appreciate.

Not sure what the numbers are running for the Coopers, but I am willing to bet it will definitely hold its value much better than the non-modified Coopers.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: A good investment? - 08/01/06 05:02 PM
Looks sweet if it's identical to that one. Don't know if it's worth 31k. Pretty small if you even have to take anything with you. They are quick & fun though. Definately do not use investment in conjunction with any late model car in that price range.
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Re: A good investment? - 08/01/06 05:03 PM
I guess I wouldnt say its something I consider making money on, just putting the money where your mouth is. It a lot of money for a car, but I think one can assume a car that's only going to have 414 of its brothers running around the US is going to sell well later.
Posted By: g r y m e s_dup1 Re: A good investment? - 08/01/06 05:05 PM
I think the car is identical, minus the Recaro seats and maybe some emissions adjustments. Supposed to make 216hp.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: A good investment? - 08/01/06 05:07 PM
Bah! No Recaro's?
Posted By: baco99 Re: A good investment? - 08/01/06 06:40 PM
buy it, store it in a bubble for 20 years, and then auction it at Barrett Jackson for $100k in 2026. i think it's a good investment as long as it's never driven.

i also think the MG SV is a good investment, but requires $100k initial cash instead of $30k.

Posted By: Pigeon Re: A good investment? - 08/02/06 02:28 AM
Regular Cooper S models are holding something like 90% + of their value over 3 or more years. Crazy!

Scott
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: A good investment? - 08/02/06 01:00 PM
I test-drove one (Cooper S) that was about 3 years old, with average miles, a scuffed interior, and nothing else particularly special, and the asking was right at $20K. And to be honest, I wasn't really impressed. It didn't pull any harder than a standard Duratec (didn't feel like it, anyway), I didn't like the clutch, and it seemed like the roofline was two feet forward of my head.
Posted By: baco99 Re: A good investment? - 08/02/06 03:54 PM
keep in mind, we're not talking about a regular Cooper S here. we're talking about a limited production run (~500?) John Cooper Works GP with no rear seats, more horsepower, stiffer suspension, and more grip.

all in a road-going go-kart under a factory warranty for about $30k.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: A good investment? - 08/02/06 04:00 PM
Originally posted by baco99:
buy it, store it in a bubble for 20 years, and then auction it at Barrett Jackson for $100k in 2026. i think it's a good investment as long as it's never driven.

i also think the MG SV is a good investment, but requires $100k initial cash instead of $30k.

That's something only the really rich would do. For someone looking for a car to drive it makes no sense. Besides, if he were to hang onto it for the sake of making money; there definitely are much more efficient and prosperous ways to do it, than through a car.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: A good investment? MINI w/JCW GP - 08/02/06 04:35 PM
If you got the money and want it, why not? As you said, you wouldn't lose much if/when you did sell it. Probably come out better than if you lease a car or buy a domestic and resale it a couple years later.
Posted By: spgoode_dup1 Re: A good investment? - 08/02/06 04:47 PM

Or you could buy a cd at 5.5% interest, compounded monthly and end up with $94,393.71. No guesswork there.
Posted By: baco99 Re: A good investment? - 08/02/06 04:49 PM
Originally posted by spgoode:

Or you could buy a cd at 5.5% interest, compounded monthly and end up with $94,393.71. No guesswork there.

but you can't sit in a CD and make VRRROOOOOM sounds.

i see your poiont, tho.
Posted By: baco99 Re: A good investment? - 08/02/06 04:51 PM
Originally posted by XKontour98:

That's something only the really rich would do. For someone looking for a car to drive it makes no sense. Besides, if he were to hang onto it for the sake of making money; there definitely are much more efficient and prosperous ways to do it, than through a car.

i agree. but the question wasn't, "how can i invest $30k?" the question was, "is the JCW GP a good car investment?"

i still say yes.

and if your a car collector, it should matter how much it's driven, just that you have it.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: A good investment? - 08/02/06 04:53 PM
Originally posted by spgoode:

but you can't sit in a CD and make VRRROOOOOM sounds.

i see your poiont, tho.

No, but you can sit ON a CD and make VRRROOOOOM sounds! Still not as fun though.
© CEG Archives