Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TGO Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 03:05 AM
They played the original pilot episode on NBC tonight. What a great show that was. So unlike anything that was on TV at the time - revolutionary even. Straight down to the music in the background!

Watching tubbs load the shotgun in the daytona while they were racing to stop calderon' from fleeing to cuba, with "in the air tonight" playing the whole way. And then sonny stops basically to make a last call to his ex wife. Goosebumps.

I actually found it on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tnyp9tRXRo

I was only 3 when this originally aired, but am a fan of this show (from reruns) and can't wait for the movie to come out next weekend.

Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 03:23 AM
crap i missed it. but i've seen it anyway. the tivo records the vice episodes from spike or tvland. i forget which channel it is.
Posted By: TGO Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 04:49 AM
has to be tvland, i've never seen it on spike
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 07:07 AM
It is not on Spike. It is on TVLand and the new Sleuth channel.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 11:20 AM
miami vice was the SH*T!! i love watching the old re-runs and spotting people who are big stars now but were just beginning their acting careers then. unbelieveable how many friggin people made a miami vice appearance!

i always crack up whenever Tubbs talks/yells "hey MAN! what TIME is the meeting AT?!!"
Posted By: GS474 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 02:27 PM
i never seen the original show but judging by the clip on youtube i woulda liked it alot
Posted By: 1FASTDAD Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 02:38 PM
I saw it last night I was soo happy that there was 3 hours of VICE on my gf hates it cant wait for the movie

Wesley
Posted By: TGO Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 03:38 PM
Originally posted by GS474:
i never seen the original show but judging by the clip on youtube i woulda liked it alot

That was the pre testarossa car. The black daytone got taken out by a missile IIRC!

I find it funny how tubbs always sounds like he's calling crockett "cracka."

I have to check out tvland and sleuth, because i had no idea it was on those channels.

Oh, also, before i'm told i'm wrong...in the clip they are racing to pick up calderon', after a dirty cop (crockett's ex partner, who was keeping the dealers ahead of the police) came clean and told them where the next big cocaine deal would be going down.

The guy they were going after had something to do with the death of crockett's partner, but also killed tubbs' brother...which is why the sawed off shotgun was his weapon of choice i guess.

One more thing - i have to get myself some clothes like that. I am a giant 80's nerd, but those suits they wear are pimp.
Posted By: bishop375_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 03:58 PM
What really amazes me is how much of it is still Michael Mann's style now. All of the car camera work, interior and exterior, is easily visible in Heat and Collateral, and I'm willing to bet in MV the movie.

I'm old enough to remember the show, but wasn't old enough then to really get into it.

Time to revisit it. Season 1 is on Netflix already.
Posted By: TGO Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 04:02 PM
yeah, even though for miami vice he was the producer, not the director.

i'm pretty sure the black daytona was also a corvette fake - but they did fix that eventually!
Posted By: kev.fitz Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 05:57 PM
Miami Wice number one new show!
But really aren't people sick of the movie studios doing this crap with every single movie.

BTW I'm putting 50 dollars on them remaking knight rider, double or nothing the Hoff won't be in it. any takers?
Posted By: bishop375_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 06:26 PM
Originally posted by kev.fitz:
But really aren't people sick of the movie studios doing this crap with every single movie.

BTW I'm putting 50 dollars on them remaking knight rider, double or nothing the Hoff won't be in it. any takers?

Same producer, same feel. I don't mind the same creative team being behind this... it'll be good.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 06:43 PM
Originally posted by bishop375:
What really amazes me is how much of it is still Michael Mann's style now. All of the car camera work, interior and exterior, is easily visible in Heat and Collateral, and I'm willing to bet in MV the movie.

Im soo exited about the movie, Michael mann is one of my favorite film makers. Is attention to detail with characters is one of the best. The best thing about the movie is its filmed entirely in high def. So all the amazing shots of LA at night(in colateral) Miami beach is goona look jaw dropping. I think this is gonna be right up there with Heat, as some of the best action dramas.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/23/06 07:43 PM
For anyone interested, Sleuth is running a M.V. marathon right now. It's channel 308 on DirecTV.
Posted By: TGO Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/24/06 12:50 AM
yeah i've been watching all day. new fav channel.
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/24/06 12:07 PM
I've probably seen that pilot and every other episode 5 times. I remember staying up Friday night to watch it. And I taped it when I wasn't home.

FWIW the plotline of Calderon killing Tubbs' brother was continued in the 2-hour opener to season 2, wherein Tubbs goes to NY to track him down.

Mann has ripped himself off quite a bit... Heat was more or less a high-budget remake of a made-for-TV movie he had done a few years prior - but I'm certainly a fan.
Posted By: Trapps_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/24/06 01:58 PM
<-- Complete Vice fan. The cars, the boats, the planes, the guns, the music and THE WOMEN!

Favorite episode was when some screwball took one last drive in a Porsche 962 and killed himself rather than man up.

When Crockett got the white TR too! He was complaining about showing up to 6 figure deals in a red pick up looking like Lil' Abner. Edward James Olomos thows him the keys and says the replacement is out back.
Posted By: TGO Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/24/06 02:44 PM
Yesterday there was an episode guest starring ted nugent, who was driving a really nicely done black vette. He buried some dude in his really nice 911 too.
Originally posted by TGO:
i'm pretty sure the black daytona was also a corvette fake - but they did fix that eventually!

Correct. The Daytona Spyder was a glass Ferrari body over a Corvette frame. The TR's were the real deal. When Ferrari caught wind of the shows popularity, it offered up two of its just introduced Testarossa's for the show. The shows creators wrote the plotline to have a dealer blow up Crockett's car and then he gets his "replacement" Ferrari. One of the two TR's was used for the outside shots, and the other was cut up a bit to rig camera's for the inside/action shots.

-Todd (who is like a kid on CHristmas eve waiting for the new movie)
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/24/06 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Trapps:
Favorite episode was when some screwball took one last drive in a Porsche 962 and killed himself rather than man up.

That was an awesome one. The "Miami Grand Prix" episode. Danny Sullivan guest-starred... I think he had won the Indy 500 that year. The guy who drives the Porsche into the wall was Sullivan's father in the show. He had been picking up hookers in a Porsche 908 and killing them.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/24/06 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Silver Snake:
The TR's were the real deal. When Ferrari caught wind of the shows popularity, it offered up two of its just introduced Testarossa's for the show.

Not entirely true. I still remember reading a Popular Mechanics issue that discussed that one of the TR's used was was a kit car using a tube frame and a fiberglass body. It had features like an auxillary brake pedal hooked only to the rear brakes for power 180s and such. They simply recored the audio tracks of a ferrari flat 12 from a real testarossa. I know that they were given 2 TR's from Ferrari but I don't think it was used too much. Probably for close detail shots.

-- Popular Mechanics, July 1987:

"...Ferrari North America offered to provide two bona-fide Ferraris for Miami Vice, and they chose their flagship model, the 12-cylinder muscle machine, the Testarossa."

"...Two show cars were provided by Ferrari North America and were originally delivered black, but were later repainted white for better contrast at night."

"In addition, a stunt car was created by the Roberts Motor Co. by beefing up a 1972 DeTomaso Pantera chassis with salvaged Testarossa body parts..."
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/24/06 03:47 PM
My fav episode was when Willie Nelson played the Texas Ranger. Can't wait for the Miami Vice movie to come out in 4 days!!

...although I don't know if an Irishman can pull off playing Crockett, but we'll see.
http://www.miamivice.com/
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Silver Snake:
The TR's were the real deal. When Ferrari caught wind of the shows popularity, it offered up two of its just introduced Testarossa's for the show.

Not entirely true <other stuff>

Yeah they had the pantera with the glass body, but only for the big stunts....big slides etc. Most of the normal driving scenes and chases were filmed with the TR's. It was much easier on the budget to risk cracking up the pantera with the replica body.

-Todd
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/24/06 04:00 PM
Originally posted by kev.fitz:

Mann has said that he'd wanted MV to be a movie from the start, but the TV deal came along and he went with it. So this is just a continuation of that goal.
Posted By: TGO Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/25/06 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Viss1:

FWIW the plotline of Calderon killing Tubbs' brother was continued in the 2-hour opener to season 2, wherein Tubbs goes to NY to track him down.

this episode, or atleast one of them is going on sleuth at 11pm eastern.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/25/06 01:05 PM
The upcoming movie looks TOIGHT!
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/25/06 02:51 PM
My cell phone actually has the Miami Vice Theme ringtone.

I hope the movie has the old theme song somewhere in it.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/25/06 02:58 PM
Originally posted by TexasRealtor:
My cell phone actually has the Miami Vice Theme ringtone.

please tell me you wear socks when you don a suit
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/25/06 03:02 PM
Funny thing is that when my phone rings my clients usually can't figure out what song is playing.
I had one say " isn't that the theme to Charlie's Angels?

...uhhh, no.

Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/26/06 12:33 AM
Funny thing is that when my phone rings my clients usually can't figure out what song is playing.
I had one say " isn't that the theme to Charlie's Angels?

Posted By: TGO Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/26/06 12:49 AM

Probably. There's a great cover of in the air tonight in the movie, obviously influenced by the original tv movie (the link i originally posted).
Posted By: TexasRealtor Re: Anyone watch Miami Vice tonight?? - 07/26/06 05:11 PM
Yea, I saw that pilot episode over Memorial Day weekend when some channel had a Miami Vice marathon.
© CEG Archives