Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 12:27 PM
Classic case of opening your mouth when you have no idea what you're talking about. Remember, folks, these are the people who are formulating net neutrality policy.

A few gems:
"Ten of them streaming across that internet and what happens to your own personal internet?"

"I just the other day got, an internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday and I just got it yesterday. Why? Because it got tangled up with all these things going on the internet commercially."

"So you want to talk about the consumer? Let's talk about you and me. We use this internet to communicate and we aren't using it for commercial purposes."

"We aren't earning anything by going on that internet. Now I'm not saying you have to or you want to discrimnate against those people."

"The regulatory approach is wrong. Your approach is regulatory in the sense that it says 'No one can charge anyone for massively invading this world of the internet.' No, I'm not finished. I want people to understand my position, I'm not going to take a lot of time."

"And again, the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes."

"Now we have a separate Department of Defense internet now, did you know that?"

"Maybe there is a place for a commercial net but it's not using what consumers use every day."

"It's not using the messaging service that is essential to small businesses, to our operation of families."

Complete text and audio here...
http://blog.wired.com/27BStroke6/?entry_id=1512499
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 12:38 PM
reading that hurt my head.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 12:44 PM
He lives in an igloo, what do you expect?
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 01:10 PM
derr
He needs Al Gore to edumacate him.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 01:53 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
derr

After all, he did invent the internet.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 03:18 PM
WTF's the internet?
Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 04:44 PM
I have 2 IntErNEtZ in my house!!
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 04:49 PM
oo cool!
can I send you an internet at your internet using my own home internet?
I'd really like that if it's ok with you.

lol this is starting to sound like that chickens term paper.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 04:51 PM
oo cool!

Work and home internets are not compatiable unless you have a internet converter box.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 04:52 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
oo cool!

Work and home internets are not compatiable unless you have a internet converter box.

dammit!
I mean,
internet!
Posted By: JaTo_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 04:53 PM
This, folks, is the perfect example of how I am able to earn a damn good living at doing what I do and I am willing to bet a lot of "techies" can relate...

Now, if I could just convince Congress to be their personal IT Architect and tutor on technology for a nice 7-figure sum a year, I'd be set.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 05:01 PM
Originally posted by JaTo:

Now, if I could just convince Congress to be their personal IT Architect and tutor on technology for a nice 7-figure sum a year, I'd be set.

Send in a proposal, I bet they bite. Just make sure you can fix all of their internets. Oh, and make sure you dont mix up the commercial internet tubes with the personal or DOD tubes. That could cause a lot of problems.
Posted By: bishop375_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 05:03 PM
Need an assistant?

I can't tell you how many internets I've worked on. Home, commercial, user, business. All of them.

Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 05:05 PM
How many internets are their now? They seem to be popping out like baby rabbits!
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 06:20 PM
Are there internets in the caves in Iraq? how do they get the tubes there? Are they compatible with house internets?
Posted By: Wien_Sean Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 06:32 PM
Originally posted by BloodyTomFlint:
derr

He never said that.
Posted By: BOFH Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 07:04 PM
Actually, there may be multiple internets.

Internet is just a term that means interconnected networks. Kinda like interstate highways, highways that traverse more than one state.

(Well, with the exception of Hawaii's interstate, but that's another federal government boondoggle.)

So I'm sure there are classified DOD internets that are seperate from the internet that you and I get at our home from ISPs.

Some of what I read was just silly. Other things were just abstractions and metaphors that are commonly used.

PS, can someone put the internet on a floppy for me, I lost my copy? Or do I need something bigger like a CD or DVD?
Posted By: EternalOne Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Wien_Sean:
derr

He never said that.

Then what does this mean?

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

E1
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 07:55 PM
Originally posted by EternalOne:
Originally posted by Wien_Sean:
derr

He never said that.

Then what does this mean?

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

E1

I've always wondered about it, and finllay looked it up at snopes

With that said, he's still a dipshit, and actually if one entity could claim they 'invented' the internet it would be, well, find that out yourself.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 07:55 PM
Originally posted by BOFH:

So I'm sure there are classified DOD internets that are seperate from the internet that you and I get at our home from ISPs.

NIPRNet

SIPRNet

JWICS
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

NIPRNet

SIPRNet

JWICS

those are the most common...
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

NIPRNet

SIPRNet

JWICS

those are the most common...

Yeah, I'll bet there's more that are above top secret levels.
Posted By: BOFH Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 08:14 PM
I didn't want to go into detail, even though you can probably learn everthing you wanted on Google, LOL
Posted By: EternalOne Re: Senator explains the intArw3b - 07/10/06 08:14 PM
I've always wondered about it, and finllay looked it up at snopes

Yeah, I knew the origins of it, as well. His wording was very silly, but if the President would have done something like this the left would have been all over it, too.

But seriously, his wording (while it might not have been what he meant) does state he took the initiative in creating the Internet. I found it funny when I heard it on TV, since at that very time I had been using the net for 10 years. :P

Gotta love MichNet (Merit) and their public dialin access since the mid-80's.

E1
© CEG Archives