Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I just got this in an email. Interesting....if it works then is the radio frequency transmitted over the phone line?

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home,
call someone at home on your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button of your key fob (clicker), holding it near the phone on
their end.

Your car doors will unlock.
Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.

Distance is no object you could be hundreds of miles away,
and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote"
for your car, you can unlock the doors (or trunk)!
survey says....
LMAO! It'd be cool if it did work!
Audio does not equal RF.
Originally posted by MxRacer:
survey says....

LOL, shoulda tried there first.
i think there was a post like this a awhile back
No way that's true. Phones transmit audio by intercepting sound waves using a microphone, which is not going to pick up the RF signal transmitted by your car remote. Neither would the speaker on your cell phone be capable of reproducing an RF signal.
It actually might work since rf signals and audio signals are both waves. The problem is that the phone company filters out anything below 300Hz and above 3300Hz and the frequency of the car remote is not in that range.
Yeah, I dont think the myth is has anything to do with sound and the microphone on the phone, rather something with the signal of the phone and KE. Still couldnt work tho.
I decided to tried this while on the phone with my kid, she's in CT. She locked her car and I hit the unlock button on her extra remote that I have here, it didn't unlock her car.
yeah it doesnt work
maybe the email was referring to On-Star equipped vehicles

© CEG Archives