Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 01:53 PM
I bid on an official Honda factory 1997 Odyssey service manual on ebay 5 days ago. It sat there, me being the SOLE bidder for the last 5 days. Then, while the wife and I were out and about, some [censored] comes in and outbids me with 2 hours left in the auction. I bet he's going to turn around and re-auction the manual for more than what he paid for because judging by his feedback he's an ebay "pro". Ticks me the [censored] off.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Goddamn motherf---er!!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 01:55 PM
bidnip.com is your friend!
Originally posted by Stazi:
bidnip.com is your friend!

Well I didn't think the market for 1997 Honda Odyssey service manuals was going to be that hot.

Posted By: svt4stv Re: Goddamn motherf---er!!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 04:17 PM
so now itll cost $7 instead of $4? i sold my 98 accord manual on ebay for around that price.
Originally posted by svt4stv:
so now itll cost $7 instead of $4? i sold my 98 accord manual on ebay for around that price.

Was it a factory manual?
Posted By: svt4stv Re: Goddamn motherf---er!!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 05:00 PM
i think we're talking about two different things here. i was talking about the owner's manual.
Originally posted by svt4stv:
i think we're talking about two different things here. i was talking about the owner's manual.

I'm talking about the Honda factory repair manual, you know, those $70-80 ones from the dealer.
Posted By: Woodencross Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 05:32 PM
Come on Packrat, if you bid what you wanted to pay, and somebody wanted to pay more, then fine. If you wanted to pay more, then you should have bid more!!
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Woodencross:
Come on Packrat, if you bid what you wanted to pay, and somebody wanted to pay more, then fine. If you wanted to pay more, then you should have bid more!!

You must have skipped over this part

"Then, while the wife and I were out and about, some [censored] comes in and outbids me with 2 hours left in the auction."

I didn't find out about it until AFTER the auction was over.
Posted By: rouar Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 05:54 PM
Ebay proxy bidding ... enter the amount UP TO what you're willing to pay, and eBay will bid for you incrementially till that amount

I had my fair share of people sniping auctions from me (not 2 hours, more like 50 seconds from auction end a bid is place), which has turned me off of using eBay for parts nowadays. I did use proxy bidding, but they still bid higher, so technically I shouldn't complain ... but I feel your frustration!
Posted By: spgoode_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 06:55 PM
Packrat=Ebay noob
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 11:27 PM
Originally posted by spgoode:
Packrat=Ebay noob

I'm not an Ebay n00b. I just didn't think there would be a bidding war on a Honda repair manual, especially since I was the SOLE bidder for 5 days.
Posted By: svt4stv Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/24/05 11:44 PM
ive had that happen to me a few times. and ive done it myself a few times. you make the winning bidder comfortable in thinking theyve locked it in and they dont bother to check in anymore. at the last minute, you strike

i also see this many times on my own ebay sales. the price will skyrocket within the last few hours.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 12:33 AM
That happened to a friend of mine trying to get a wind tunnel for my school. We were beat by 4 minutes, though.

We're stuck building our own tunnel.

I hate snipers.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 12:48 AM
<---------- Professional Ebay Sniper It's the ONLY way to go.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 12:51 AM
You do have a point.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 01:17 AM
lol 2 hours before wouldn't even be an ebay snipe. You need to have 2 windows open 5 minutes before the auction ends. One window has a bid ready to go (usually what price you would pay above your current bid, or the current bidder). The other window constantly refreshing watching for the change. If someone outbids you, then BAM! haha
Posted By: path914 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 01:18 AM
I can't imagine bidding on anything with 5 days left in an auction. If you really want something you have to be there when it gets sold, heck I usually bid on things within the last 10 seconds and I still get outbid quite often. Just the nature of the beast IMHO...
Posted By: Woodencross Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Kokopellian:

If I remember correctly, my best time is like .4 seconds prior to the end of the bid...WHOOHOOO!!! That was an awesome snipe!
Posted By: KnuKonceptz_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 04:05 AM
Exactly, 5 days left = too much time. Wait for atleast a day remaining, see if it got any bites. I love the people that bid like $3 on a $0.99 start auction for an item worth $300. Why waste your time offering the $3..........

Any buying I do is usually a "buy it now" anyways as I'd rather be done with a purchase.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Kokopellian:

<---- Ebay sniper in training. Getting pretty good too

I use the 2 window method like was already mentioned.
Posted By: ESC_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 06:27 AM
If you really want the item and do it manually, go with 3 windows. Have two bids ready to go on the Confirm page so you don't have to waste time typing in a new max bid.
Posted By: EuroTour Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 06:28 AM
Tabbed browsing in Fire fox is awesome!
Posted By: rouar Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 06:57 AM
Originally posted by TodrasByAssociation:
Tabbed browsing in Fire fox is awesome!

So is dual monitors
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 07:57 AM
Originally posted by path914:
I can't imagine bidding on anything with 5 days left in an auction. If you really want something you have to be there when it gets sold, heck I usually bid on things within the last 10 seconds and I still get outbid quite often. Just the nature of the beast IMHO...

Exactly. The point of Ebay IMO is to get the stuff you want a the LOWEST possible price you can get if for, not your highest proxy bid. Therefore, sniping is essential.

Case in point, a few years back I wanted this cherry 93' Stang 5.0 coupe that was on Ebay. It had a lot of action as you can imagine however, I utilized my honed sniping skills and landed the ride. Beat the competing bidder out by $100. He was SOOOO pissed that he emailed me afterward, whined about it, and called me a dirty bastard! LOL! Boohoohoo. I sure didn't feel bad when I was driving my 5.0 around. Nor did I feel bad when I sold it for $3k more than I paid for it.
Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/25/05 11:24 AM
thats how ebay rolls.. it pisses me off when people whine about how they missed out on something -- it's ebay.. its an auction!!! You just gotta be smart and learn how to use it.

I never ever ever bid on anything I want until the last 50 seconds or so.. why the hell would I bid on something 6 days from when it ends only to know that I need to watch and rebid again later?

The rule of thumb is to bid your absolute max you'd pay at about 40 seconds left.. it normally always wins me what I want because the person who was winning doesn't know that I just increased the next bid by another 20-50 dollars - they just assume I threw up another dollar or whatever its going by for increments..

I recently won 3 auctions from someone else who owned a Contour -- he had been winning all 3 for the last 5 days and right at the end I took it all - 1 auction after the other until I got everything.. He sent me evil hate mail and tried to make me feel guilty because he really did need the parts.. I just laughed because obviously he didn't realize that it is an auction, you need to outwit everyone else and I needed the parts too otherwise I wouldn't have bid on them.

I'm a freaking ebay MASTER.
Posted By: Kokopellian Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 12:17 AM
Originally posted by NVMYSVT:
thats how ebay rolls.. it pisses me off when people whine about how they missed out on something -- it's ebay.. its an auction!!! You just gotta be smart and learn how to use it.

I never ever ever bid on anything I want until the last 50 seconds or so.. why the hell would I bid on something 6 days from when it ends only to know that I need to watch and rebid again later?

The rule of thumb is to bid your absolute max you'd pay at about 40 seconds left.. it normally always wins me what I want because the person who was winning doesn't know that I just increased the next bid by another 20-50 dollars - they just assume I threw up another dollar or whatever its going by for increments..

I recently won 3 auctions from someone else who owned a Contour -- he had been winning all 3 for the last 5 days and right at the end I took it all - 1 auction after the other until I got everything.. He sent me evil hate mail and tried to make me feel guilty because he really did need the parts.. I just laughed because obviously he didn't realize that it is an auction, you need to outwit everyone else and I needed the parts too otherwise I wouldn't have bid on them.

I'm a freaking ebay MASTER.

LOL, you got skills man!
Posted By: ODC Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 12:50 AM
Originally posted by PackRat:
I bid on an official Honda factory 1997 Odyssey service manual on ebay 5 days ago. It sat there, me being the SOLE bidder for the last 5 days. Then, while the wife and I were out and about, some [censored] comes in and outbids me with 2 hours left in the auction. I bet he's going to turn around and re-auction the manual for more than what he paid for because judging by his feedback he's an ebay "pro". Ticks me the [censored] off.

Poor baby.

Maybe if it was so important you'd make sure you checked on the auction before it ended ? Sniping isn't a new thing for goodness sakes.

Would you like ebay to wipe your ass too ?
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 01:56 AM
Originally posted by ODC:

Poor baby.

Maybe if it was so important you'd make sure you checked on the auction before it ended ? Sniping isn't a new thing for goodness sakes.

Let me explain something since you are obviously too [censored] stupid to understand what I've written previously. I WASN'T HOME AT THE TIME THE [censored] AUCTION ENDED.

Now kindly go [censored] yourself.
Posted By: ODC Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 05:51 AM
Quote:

Poor baby.

Let me explain something since you are obviously too [censored] stupid to understand what I've written previously. I WASN'T HOME AT THE TIME THE [censored] AUCTION ENDED.

Now kindly go [censored] yourself.

Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 02:08 PM
Explain to me how I'm [censored] supposed to check an auction when I'm not even [censored] home?
Posted By: jerseycaâ?š10 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 02:22 PM
Explain how anyone cares that you lost an auction for a repair manual for a 8 year old car that no one else here has?

Proxy bidding pwnzzz joo!
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 03:28 PM
Iâ??ve gotten very upset over loosing an Ebay auction for reasons I could have avoided â??? I remember when Suneilâ??s SVT sold for several thousand dollars less than what I was willing to offer. Ebay is like that.

But really Packrat, stop bitching over a cheap service manual. If you watch Ebay for a couple of weeks, youâ??ll find another.

I frankly don't understand how this was even worth posting here.
Posted By: jtour Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 04:56 PM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
Iâ??ve gotten very upset over loosing an Ebay auction for reasons I could have avoided â??? I remember when Suneilâ??s SVT sold for several thousand dollars less than what I was willing to offer. Ebay is like that.

But really Packrat, stop bitching over a cheap service manual. If you watch Ebay for a couple of weeks, youâ??ll find another.

x2!

Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 06:12 PM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:

Bite me, if you don't like my [censored] rant, you didn't have to [censored] click on it. Wow, what a concept.
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 06:13 PM
Originally posted by â?â?£â?£â?£â?£â???:
Explain how anyone cares that you lost an auction for a repair manual for a 8 year old car that no one else here has?

Proxy bidding pwnzzz joo!

You cared enough to post a worthless reply, moron.
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 06:14 PM
All of you are [censored] [censored]. You can lock this thread now.
Posted By: spgoode_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 06:31 PM
Explain to me how I'm [censored] supposed to check an auction when I'm not even [censored] home?

If winning the auction was important to you then I would think that you would make sure you were home when it ended. You claimed you didn't think that anyone would bid on it at the last minute, for which I called you a noob and others tried to explain how Ebay works.

It's funny when a noob doesn't realize they are one.

So in conclusion either you weren't that interested in winning the auction(making your rant senseless) or you don't know how to win an auction on Ebay. Which is it?
Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 10:21 PM

If winning the auction was important to you then I would think that you would make sure you were home when it ended. You claimed you didn't think that anyone would bid on it at the last minute, for which I called you a noob and others tried to explain how Ebay works.

I know how Ebay [censored] works, I've seen it. I didn't think it would work that way on THIS [censored] PARTICULAR ITEM. WHY IS THAT SO HARD FOR YOU TO [censored] GRASP?!?!?! THIS WASN'T LIKE A [censored] XBOX360. JESUS [censored] CHRIST!!!!!

Quote:

It's funny when a noob doesn't realize they are one.

Bite me.

Quote:

So in conclusion either you weren't that interested in winning the auction(making your rant senseless) or you don't know how to win an auction on Ebay. Which is it?

I've already [censored] explained myself several times to you [censored], I'm tired of explaining this over and over again. So [censored] off.
Posted By: RT and his SE_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/26/05 10:45 PM
Rule #7 This is the internet -- don't be a wuss and get all bent out of shape if someone else doesn't agree with you. This is how flame wars start.

Rule #15 Although you may think your personal life is interesting, please don't post the intimate details. This isn't a forum for outlining the saga of your life.

Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/27/05 12:32 AM
Originally posted by RT and his SE:
Rule #7 This is the internet -- don't be a wuss and get all bent out of shape if someone else doesn't agree with you. This is how flame wars start.

Rule #15 Although you may think your personal life is interesting, please don't post the intimate details. This isn't a forum for outlining the saga of your life.

This is a rant, so I'm ranting. If you disagree with me within my rant, I'm going to flame your ass. That's the way it works.
Posted By: LittleFishie_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/27/05 12:35 AM
Packrat=Ebay noob

Posted By: PackRat_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/27/05 12:55 AM
Originally posted by LittleFishie:
Packrat=Ebay noob

Shut up.
Posted By: hellahydrox Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/27/05 01:27 AM
Originally posted by LittleFishie:
Packrat=Ebay noob

Haha! NEWB!!!!

By the way....my new manual should be here any day.
Posted By: Lance Kinley_dup1 Re: !!!!! Ebay rant. - 11/27/05 01:57 AM
This is a rant, so I'm ranting. If you disagree with me within my rant, I'm going to flame your ass. That's the way it works.

Too bad he couldn't quote the rules that he broke...

PackRat is a goner this time.

-Lance
© CEG Archives