Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: gSto Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 08:17 AM
Im looking at getting a sports bike, and i want a bike with both some power, and for sure style. I really love the look of the yamaha Raven R1, but it's out of my price range,

(im looking at the 4000 - 5000$ price range

I don't plan on using it often, atleast not at first, and experience is not factoring in on purchase decision.

I love the black look ( http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=17401&department=101&division=1 )

Any suggestions?
Posted By: Stazi Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 03:26 PM
1) What experience do you have with road bikes?
2) Have you even riden a newer sport-bike, if so, what size (cc)?
3) How big are you?

Answer these quesitons first - then we can move one.
Posted By: spgoode_dup1 Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
3) How big are you?

Didn't you read that "experience is not factoring in on purchase decision."
I take that to mean that he wants a bike for posing and will soon be turning it over to the insurance company to be sold with a salvage title.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 04:50 PM
Originally posted by spgoode:
3) How big are you?

I take that to mean that he wants a bike for posing and will soon be turning it over to the insurance company to be sold with a salvage title.

Another SQUID in the midst!
Posted By: spgoode_dup1 Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 05:06 PM
3) How big are you?

Another SQUID in the midst!

Posted By: Stazi Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 05:08 PM
the original poster is the SQUID.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 05:14 PM

People that think like that end up getting scraped off the road at some point.

Beginner? No larger than 600cc. A new 600 will rock your world as it is, especially if you dont know what you are doing.

New 1000s are way too much for learners. The power will never allow you to ride as you should. A less powerful bike will allow you to learn how to actually ride the bike.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 05:20 PM
The new R6 has been taken into the high 9's stock. It's insane what you can buy nowadays. But yes, buying a first bike, that's a rocket when you've shown zero history of riding before is plain ingorant. Riders like that give us more responsible riders a bad name.

I also love riders that buy a bike based solely on colour. A friend of mine bought a 600RR because if it's available colour, then wondered why he felt like a cripple after riding it for 1 hour.
Posted By: spgoode_dup1 Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 05:29 PM
the original poster is the SQUID.

All is now understood.
These threads seem to pop up with surprising regularity.
A new rider getting a race-replica liter bike is like using an F1 car for driver's ed.
Posted By: klavender_dup1 Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 07:04 PM
I've been riding for years, but do not consider myself an excellent rider. Meaning, I've never scraped pegs in the corners or anything like that. I am smart enough to know what I can and can't do. I've owned sport and cruising bikes. My next bike will be a Suzuki SV650. Enough sport to handle the corners and comfortable enough for around town driving. And they are fairly cheap used. And no body work to get damaged in case the bike falls. I think it would make a great starter bike also.
Posted By: LittleFishie_dup1 Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 10:06 PM
Suzuki GS500F (for style) and don't forget to take the MSF course. Just might save your life.
Posted By: chemguru_dup1 Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 10:33 PM
It have to be new?? You probably won't find a NEW 600cc+ sportbike for under $6k after all is said and done. I'm sure there are plenty of 04 R[1|6], GSXR[100|60|75]0, ZX-[6|7|9]R, or CBR
  • bikes out there for sale. If not, wait until Feb or March.

It doesn't matter which one you get; they've ALL got looks and power. But, ALL of them have different geometries. So, go to a dealer and plant yourself down on a couple and find the one the fits... THEN worry about color. =]

My preference? Triumph Daytona or Duc Monster S4R (dark). I'll never give up on my SV though... =]

--JamesT
  • Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 10:59 PM
    Ninja 250. Fast enough to be a thrill and dirt cheap. If you are a bigger guy, then a 500-600cc bike would be okay too, but a modern 600cc more than enough to get you killed fast. Take the course, and don't be cocky: bikes are hard to ride, no matter who you are. Oh, get full gear! If you want to look cool, get a nice set of bright leathers and boots/gloves, etc. Dress for the crash, not for the ride!
    Posted By: The Mad Ugly SVT Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 10/24/05 11:05 PM
    i agree with the guy above.

look in Cycle trader, theres millions of bikes for under 6k.
    Posted By: gSto Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 11/03/05 06:50 AM
    I hate to bring this back up, but it's the first time i checked the post.

i was just asking for oppinions on biks.. i never made a mention that i was a beginner rider, or that i wanted to go out and race people thus being scraped off the road (what the hell?)

I just wanted some oppinions on bikes... jesus christ
    Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 11/03/05 07:16 AM
    Well thats the kind of stuff you need to mention to us if you want our opinion on which bikes to look into!

If you said you were a beginner you would get much different answers compared to someone who has ridden for a while! So lets try again, as Stazi asked:

3) How big are you?
    Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 11/03/05 02:14 PM
    Originally posted by gSto:

i wanted to go out and race people thus being scraped off the road (what the hell?)

You don't have to be racing people to easily fall into the category of "scraped off the road." Typically, it just takes a cocky squidlike attitude (experience is not factoring on purchasing decision) and some money (5-6K). Then you just have to get out there with all the stupid cages, not know how to handle what you've just bought, and bada bing bada boom! You're another statistic that should've started out on something older/smaller.

If you can't see the advantages from a safety perspective, at least understand that you WILL drop the bike, being it a new bike, and it'd be much more inexpensive to drop a naked SV650 than a Yamaha R1. Once you're done dropping bikes, then get yourself something nice.

And if you're not a beginner, then we can proceed with the discussion!
    Posted By: Stazi Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 11/03/05 02:47 PM
    Originally posted by PlatoSVT:

i wanted to go out and race people thus being scraped off the road (what the hell?)

You don't have to be racing people to easily fall into the category of "scraped off the road." Typically, it just takes a cocky squidlike attitude (experience is not factoring on purchasing decision) and some money (5-6K). Then you just have to get out there with all the stupid cages, not know how to handle what you've just bought, and bada bing bada boom! You're another statistic that should've started out on something older/smaller.

If you can't see the advantages from a safety perspective, at least understand that you WILL drop the bike, being it a new bike, and it'd be much more inexpensive to drop a naked SV650 than a Yamaha R1. Once you're done dropping bikes, then get yourself something nice.

And if you're not a beginner, then we can proceed with the discussion!

Ed Zackery!

Stop being a cocky clown and answer some of my questions!
    Posted By: gSto Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 11/03/05 11:09 PM
    Ok to answer some questions

im about 5'11, 195lbs
    Been ridin on and off for a few years (but never owned a bike)
    I have ridden the R1 a few times, really liked the handling, but can't afford it. I've ridden an Aprilla in singapore, but i don't know the specs on that bike.

This question about oppinions wasn't on being cocky... just because i dont know about bikes doesn't mean i can't ride. I just want some user input on what bikes u guys like, dont like, handling, etc

Im only looking to take the bike out for weekend rides, or every now and then on a nice day
    Posted By: ODC Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 11/03/05 11:13 PM
    You can't ride.

People whove' been riding for 6 months can't ride.

Just cause you can balance a 350lb cruise missle at speed (which is the easiest part of riding) doesn't mean you can ride.

The best advice has already been told to you, but you don't want to listen.

You want a modern supersport like an R1, 600RR ? Good luck riding those for any length of time, your wrists will blow up, your back will ache, and your ass will beg for mercy and most likely you'll be killed lowsiding it at the wrong time.

Take a motorcycle class, then take a safety class, then buy a bike below 600cc's.

Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 11/03/05 11:28 PM
    Originally posted by ODC:
    You can't ride.

People whove' been riding for 6 months can't ride.

I'll attest to that. I've been riding about 6 months and I'm the first to admit I still have a LOT of learning to do. I started on an 87 VF700F Interceptor. A junk of a bike, but it was slow and pig handling, so great to learn on . 3 months later, I've got a 97 Yamaha FZR600R. A much quicker bike, but light and agile enough for me to continue my learning curve. I've dropped both bikes and not been any the worse because they were crappy to begin with. I don't care how long you've been "around" bikes, (I had been around them too!) it's completely different when you own one. And BTW, it only takes your first or second weekend trip on your brand new bike to total it, as odds most likely are. Trust me, you'll get much more respect when you can ride a bike with confidence and skill than just riding a litre bike. Ever seen a mid-90's 600 rape a brand new litre bike? I have, and let me tell ya, that was awesome. The litre squid came back almost in tears from the word raping all the experience guys gavae him because a FAR underpowered bike with a good driver just dominated him.
    Posted By: chemguru_dup1 Re: Motorcycle oppinions - 11/04/05 12:01 AM
    Ok to answer some questions

im about 5'11, 195lbs

I re-iterate my previous comment about going to a dealer and planting yourself down on different models. MOST sportbikes are made for people under 5'10" that have with a small frame. I'm 6'2"@170, and the SV JUST BARELY works for me. I ended up going with a machined handlebar that changed the geometry just enough for my back and wrists to stop hurting.

So, comfort (to me, at least) is most important. At last year's motorcycle show in Atlanta, the only two models that I felt like I could ride for longer than 50 miles were the Ducati Monsters (S4R Dark ) and the Yamaha FZ1. (I also fit nicely on the 04 Honda RC51, but there's NO WAY I'd trust myself on that bike.) Even the Duc 999 felt cramped. =[

--JamesT
    © CEG Archives