Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: shysta3369 which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:02 PM
sadly to say, its time to go, lookin for a buyer of my 98 Stique LS. think i found one... now for the newbie... tryin 2 decide which to go with... either the:

2005 Chrysler 300 Hemi

for about $30k - $33k

OR

2005 Dodge Magnum Hemi

for about $20k - $25k
?????????? ?????????
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:03 PM
get the srt 300C
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:04 PM
I love the over exposed HEMI and how it's the 'rave' now...

Personally, I'd go Magnum, but I dislike both cars...they are a dime a dozen.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:05 PM
Link
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:06 PM
dont get any, hemi sucks
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
dont get any, hemi sucks

More reliable than the Duratec I bet you. I havent heard of any Hemis spinning bearings because the driver made a turn, have you?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:49 PM
Originally posted by HITMANinMI:
dont get any, hemi sucks

More reliable than the Duratech I bet you. I havent heard of any Hemis spinning bearings because the driver made a turn, have you?

It's spelled Duratec. And how could one? They rev to what 5k?
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Plain ole' todras:
dont get any, hemi sucks

More reliable than the Duratech I bet you. I havent heard of any Hemis spinning bearings because the driver made a turn, have you?

I'm just saying here, dickface is saying Hemis suck with no facts to back it up. I got facts that Hemis are better than Duratecs, Hemis dont spin bearings when you make a right turn.

Posted By: shysta3369 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:55 PM
personally, im leaning towards the chrysler... but tis alittle out of my price range...
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:55 PM
dont get any, hemi sucks

I'm just saying here, dickface is saying Hemis suck with no facts to back it up. I got facts that Hemis are better than Duratecs, Hemis dont spin bearings when you make a right turn.

there's no need for name calling
behave so this decent thread doesn't get lockeddown.
pm me if you feel like name calling
Posted By: cjbaldw_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:56 PM
Dodge Charger if I had to pick one of the three, though I'll admit I can't stand the boxy look of any of the three models and they don't seem to be growing on me either. I'd go SRT8 personally, if you can afford it.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:56 PM
Guys..

Chill out, eh? Both cars aren't my cars.. but I like the Magnum better. It's a matter of taste/aesthetics, for me. I'd say research which will be "best" for you to satisfy your needs and wants
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:57 PM

I'm just here, with no facts to back it up.

Yes, please give me facts on the long term reliability of the new hemi engine. Why are you still here on the boards? Just to anger people?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 06:59 PM
dont get any, hemi sucks

LEAVE!! First off, how long have these new Hemi's been out in the 300C and Magnum? We're comparing a motor that's been out for the last 3-4 years, to the Duratec that's been around for over 10. Ofcourse you're not going to see a lot of spun bearings on vehicles with extremely low miles, or many problems in general with vehicles that are still within their warranty. Coat hangers must not have been around when your mom was pregnant with you.

Mark
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Coat hangers must not have been around when your mom was pregnant with you.

Mark

Stop sounding like me. It's just mean.
Posted By: shysta3369 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:02 PM
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
dont get any, hemi sucks

there's no need for name calling
behave so this decent thread doesn't get lockeddown.
pm me if you feel like name calling

i agree....
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:21 PM
don't you worry about buying a HEMI until you become the Manager of your local McDonalds, by then I'm sure you can pick up a nice 10 year old Hemi.

dont get any, hemi sucks

Posted By: shysta3369 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:28 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
don't you worry about buying a HEMI until you become the Manager of your local McDonalds, by then I'm sure you can pick up a nice 10 year old Hemi.

dont get any, hemi sucks

its not the hemi i want, cuz there is a 2.7 liter, v6 down the road of each, i just wanna know what everybody thinks, cuz im stumped on which way to go
Posted By: Christian_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:28 PM
If you're really not too sure ... rather than make the long term investment, you could always try a one year lease ... costs more I know, but at least you aren't tied down to the wrong vehicle.
Posted By: shysta3369 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:32 PM
this is true, but at the same time, the only reason i haven't already gone with the 300, it the money, so i wanna be sure before i make my decision. u know?
Posted By: cjbaldw_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:37 PM
If you're able to afford 30-35k price range, there are a LOT of choices in that price range to consider. What are your requirements?
Posted By: HITMANinMI Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:38 PM
dont get any, hemi sucks

LEAVE!! First off, how long have these new Hemi's been out in the 300C and Magnum? We're comparing a motor that's been out for the last 3-4 years, to the Duratec that's been around for over 10. Ofcourse you're not going to see a lot of spun bearings on vehicles with extremely low miles, or many problems in general with vehicles that are still within their warranty. Coat hangers must not have been around when your mom was pregnant with you.

Mark

Dumbest reply ever, especially the last sentence.

Anyways like I was saying. Many Duratecs with low miles have spun bearings, been said here many times.

I havent heard of any new Hemis spinning bearings with low miles, have you?

Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:50 PM
have you inquired about insurance costs? ARe you planning on going over seas any time soon? I ask that, because if you get orders over seas you usually can buy new cars over seas for significantly cheaper than you can in CONUS.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:54 PM
Dumbest reply ever, especially the last sentence.

Anyways like I was saying. Many Duratecs with low miles have spun bearings, been said here many times.

I havent heard of any new Hemis spinning bearings with low miles, have you?

Dumbest reply ever? Why is that? Because I told you exactly why you won't see many spun bearings on the Hemi's. You think that back in 1998, we were seeing a ton of spun bearings in the 1995 Contours? NO! As was also mentioned, having a motor spinning nearly 7000rpms increases chances of a spun bearing. I'm not writing off the fact that there's a flaw in the design of the Duratec oiling system, but we're also comparing apples to oranges. Give it a couple of years, you WILL be seeing common occurances with the HEMI cars, that you see with every other car on the road, whether it be spun bearings, blown headgaskets, etc..

Mark
Posted By: SVTCuervo Re: which should i go with??? - 07/25/05 07:56 PM

Mark

wow....thats awesome...
Posted By: shysta3369 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/26/05 11:33 AM
have you inquired about insurance costs? ARe you planning on going over seas any time soon? I ask that, because if you get orders over seas you usually can buy new cars over seas for significantly cheaper than you can in CONUS.

this is true, but i may be going over to iraq, and you definitely cant get a 300 or a magnum over there . but anyway, i had inquired with my insurance, and it would be about $300 per month.. thats the killer. i can afford the payments on the car, cause they will only be about $150-$200 per month. but Lance Corporal pay in the marines is definitely gonna be tight
Posted By: shysta3369 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/26/05 12:47 PM
Originally posted by cjbaldw:
If you're able to afford 30-35k price range, there are a LOT of choices in that price range to consider. What are your requirements?

Ii can't really "afford" it, BUT, i need a new one... im probably gonna go with a v6 of one of them
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/26/05 05:19 PM
Depending on where the home base is (Like in Qatar, Bahrain or Kuwait), then most of the time they have an AAFES car sales place located there.

And IMO, it's a bad decision to buy this type of car on LCpl pay.....

Been there, done that.
Originally posted by shysta3369:

this is true, but i may be going over to iraq, and you definitely cant get a 300 or a magnum over there . but anyway, i had inquired with my insurance, and it would be about $300 per month.. thats the killer. i can afford the payments on the car, cause they will only be about $150-$200 per month. but Lance Corporal pay in the marines is definitely gonna be tight

Posted By: Stazi Re: which should i go with??? - 07/26/05 06:17 PM
I have a V6 2.7 Magnum and it is a TUUUUUURDD! Super slow, unresponsive BUT it handles good and actually does well in the snow with the ESP program on. Can't complain too much though - it was free!

Take one for a drive you will be like "WTF are we moving?"
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/28/05 02:43 AM
I say the Hemi Magnum, IMHO I love those (the car that is)
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: which should i go with??? - 07/28/05 08:09 AM
Hey now kids, let's not bash the Hemi or the Duratec. The fact is that the new Hemi has been around since '03. The engine may be all new, but the engineering behind it isn't all fresh and dainty. Chrysler has been known to make one heck of a V8, and this new Hemi is no exception. If I recall correctly, they were still using the 40-something year old LA block architecture up until 2002. These V8 were fantastic in that you could dog on them and they would still get you home. The same goes for slant-sixes. So Chrysler replaced the venerable 360 with the new HEMI. Because the 360 was getting some very gray hair, they had to engineer the new replacement to be modern, yet just as good if not BETTER in the reliability department. A very daunting task, as the LA-block series of V8s are virtually bulletproof, but they accomplished it nonetheless. I can virtually guarantee that you won't here about engine problems from new HEMIs, but anything electronic, or non-mechanical is a just the same as every car.

But as for 300 or Magnum? Go Charger, it's faster than both. It also looks better, and a 3.5L model will not break you but still give you pretty good power. DON'T buy the 2.7. It is a RENTAL GRADE SEBRING ENGINE. If you are going to buy one buy at least the 3.5L, and a HEMI if you can afford it. Take this Mopar Heads' advice, and you won't be disappointed.
Posted By: shysta3369 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/28/05 11:32 AM
i will head our advice... depending on what my bank allows me
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/28/05 01:51 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the only thing I'd drop that 2.7L into would be a Neon. But while I'm kind of impressed by the Magnum as a family hauler in cool clothes, I still have a grudge against the Chrysler bunch for putting crappy head gaskets in damn near all of their products in the late 80s and early 90s. Show me an old Caravan that's not trailing blue smoke and I'll buy you a cookie.
Posted By: shysta3369 Re: which should i go with??? - 07/28/05 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
I still have a grudge against the Chrysler bunch for putting crappy head gaskets in damn near all of their products in the late 80s and early 90s. Show me an old Caravan that's not trailing blue smoke and I'll buy you a cookie.

© CEG Archives