Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives

My first CDW was a 1996 Mondeo 2.5 Ghia. It was a 5 door in Ash black with a black leather interior and heated seats! My second was a 1997 Mondeo 2.5 Ghia X w/ Full RS kit. It was a Diamond White with Alchemy Leather interior 4 door and was my most favorite CDW ever. I have owned 2 Estates (English for wagon) both Ghia Xâ??s; one Red with a full RS kit (think SVT Wagon!). I also owned a 1997 Mystique LS and in august of 1999, I bought my Silver SVT new from a dealer I came to hate. 7 CDWâ??s in all over a 9 year period. Shortly there after I discovered some on-line communities. A few people were talking contours on Edmunds. There was this mail list thing. Dan Squires had a good name. Then I had my first dose of contour.org. Like crack or heroin (I can only imagine) I was addicted. First I lurked. Then I bought a KKM. Then I bought Dan Squires Supertrapps. Then I cut out my resonator. FAQâ??s became available. More exhaust mods. I joined a local car club (www.redlinemotorsport.com)

More mods. My 1st set of wheels â??? 17â? Team Dynamics DTMâ??s. By now I was frequenting the site on a daily basis. I met Dave Dempster and had an in depth conversation about nitrous. I got the stereo bug. Hello Nakamichi and a/d/s. Then came Venom. AC/DC was always in my CD player. They released the VCN2000 for imports and I had to have it in my SVT. There was a trip to Hell with CEGerâ??s from around the state of Michgan. Mystrgrym (sp? , now world tour) gave a few rides in the first supercharged SVT â??? Chinaman shot some cool video. About 3 months of bugging Python Industires and VCN225-49 was sent to me, the first VCN2000 Nitrous kit for the Duratec V6. I started going to car shows with Redline. I added a second bottle. My trunk was useless, but it looked good! Then came SZ02. Late night Venom installation completion â??? thanks Brian, Mike, Chris, Tim, Brad, John and others! It had some electrical glitches that we finally got worked out. Add copious amounts of JUG (where are those pics anyway?) I dynoed with www.exceedspeed.com and pulled a 179.9 FWHP, no bottle. I was happy with that.

By now I was into my 7th or 8th exhaust, searching for the perfect balance of power and noise. I learned to hate drone, rasp and moosing. Doug welded up one that was OK, but mediocre compared to the final iteration. He does quality work at a fair price, but I found something better (read more expensive, hey, you get what you pay for). I would later fix the moosing with a .20 copper plug. The exhaust would require a bit more of an investment. Devin Pearce at Payne Technologies designed and fabricated what I consider to this day to be the best performing and best looking system available. It took 11 tries I think. I rolled a set of 17â? OZ Supertourismoâ??s for a year. They were the only set in the US in a 4x108 â??? I imported them from Demon Tweeks in England. Hard as nails and looked the part of the touring car heritage I was after. Somewhere in there I had my car sent to Rockford Michigan for a week or two. Thanks Todd for the nicely fabbed pre-cats. Thanks Terry for the work and advice. My CEG addiction was full blown now â??? several visits per day from work and from home. I didnâ??t post much, but I read everything. I was loving my car every chance I got to drive it. It was a daily driver the whole time I owned it, so I was happy quite a bit. I bought a B&M shortly after they were introduced and at 15,000 miles I added H&R springs. While I never had a problem with the stock struts, my sole regret is not adding Koniâ??s at the same time.

The CEG continued to grow and I made many friends. There were the oddball wankers too; Citation, CBM, rekcilenob, GAGT and others I fortunately forgot about. Didnâ??t some boneyard claim a bicycle shop was forging him a set of titanium pistons or rods?

I remember pranksters like Bassen and his very first 3L and his Z06. Itâ??s ok though, his GT couldnâ??t escape my bottles on an on-ramp in Western MI. Ricks roll on video provided mucho entertainment â??? only because he took it in stride and has a good sense of humor. The hub (or was it a bearing at SZ02?) was a bit much though. Sorry Rick. Some cars were wrecked â??? Iâ??m glad Dave was ok in his guardrail incident near Ann Arbor. Steveâ??s videos were always funny. Steveâ??s videoâ??s were always innovative. Yes I mean Xchiang and A2steve. I was right there (and I do mean right there) when Sylvie (again SP?) expressed her displeasure with Bradâ??s right foot. That WRX never stood a chance anyway. Where the F is Ionia anyway? Sorry I couldnâ??t stay at the gas station Antonio, but the wife and kids were on the curb and Tim did get my jack back to me. Moe, where are those (circle of trust) pics? To our philsophers and political junkies - it's been mostly fun. Let me know where esle you post James, I did the occasional education. Pete, you do have a knack for stirring it up. That's OK. Most of the time

I sold the OZâ??s to Roger and landed my favorite wheels of all time â??? 17â?BBS RX. My car was as far as I would take it. A year later I sold it to another CEGer and became a troll.

SZ03? I tried for â??04. I heard it was OK. I heard more about a bunch of whining about the cost. â??05 should be a return to participation and fun. If you want drama, stay home and watch TNT. Will â??06 return to Michigan? Will the CEG exist in â??06? I hope so. The current trend of influx of retard morons may prove to be too much. I sincerely hope not. I also know that a few can spoil it for the majority.

For thaose who complain about how the site is run â??? FO. You do not have to be here, you can choose to leave. You can choose not to read posts from people you know are worthless. You can even choose to read and not reply. Replying that a post is stupid is sad. You contribute to the cancerous growth of what usually is a pointless thread anyway. The moderators have tried to apply the rules fairly; itâ??s not always possible. Get over it. Veterans and noobs alike have been banned, both temporarily and permanently. Suggesting otherwise makes you look like an ass as you are wrong and asserting untrue things. Banning people is not ridiculous â??? look at corner carvers.com , thanks Sal! It works. And, to thank Lance is most appropriate. It was his concept. His hard work, his money and his name on the site. However, to thank him only is ridiculous. If you read other parts of this great resource (faqâ??s, Mods, etc.) you will see many people who have contributed to this site over the years. Louis, Nick, John, Andy, Marty, Ray (RIP ï? ), and so many others. Donâ??t overlook our un-named technical advisors, Chris, Brad, Rick, Demon, Brian, Terry, Pete and so many others. Thatâ??s not even mentioning the software/hardware people (thanks again Perry! For the CEG stuff and the personal stuff) who have worked to keep the site up and running for so long. Or, the countless financial benefactors. I think we set a record for donations in the shortest period of time not to long ago for ANY website.

The younger, newer members are a big part of the problem here. So are some of the older â??think they know it all and have a bad attitude members.â?? Mostly itâ??s the newer, younger punks though. Face it, the platform is aging and becoming cheaper. As this happens younger people can afford the cars. Younger people are inherently, as a percentage of any group, less mature. If you fit this description, please go away and come back when/if you grow up.

The number of times I have read LMAO, let alone actually LMAO is immeasurable. Thanks for the laughs!

My final thoughts here; steps to being a respected member of an on-line community:

1. Remove head from ass
2. Think.
3. Think again about consequences, relevance and importance.
4. Post.

Although you may not like it, Iâ??m not leaving entirely. I cannot boldly say I am leaving for good and never to return. My addiction is too great. I will revert to being the lurker I once was. At some point, I will have something of value to say. Or, more likely, some turd will piss me off so much so that I reply in a less than professional manner. Yes, failing to take my own advice. Hey, Iâ??m human. Probably not though, if this applies to you, youâ??re not worth it. I will continue to Moderate through 5/15.

For those I havenâ??t mentioned by name, my apologies â??? my memory does suck sometimes. For those others (read: immature wanker SOBâ??s) who I didnâ??t mention by name, itâ??s because I donâ??t have anything nice to say about you.

Thanks again to Lance and to all who have made this a great place over the years. I hope the site does re-flourish into what it once was.

Best wishes to all

Mark

PS. Below is the newbie suggestions hijacked from corner-carvers.com. It might not be a bad idea to implement many of those rules here.

Do not try to impress us with big words. Chances are you don't really know what they mean and you have no idea how to use them in the proper context. We DO know what they mean and we will mark up your post like a 3rd grade English teacher with a beehive and a hairy mole on her chin.
Absolute Statements are Critical Lightning Rods; use them with care, or risk grounding.
Use the WAG label as a get out of jail free card.
A single post in all caps will get you banned or worse. Guaranteed.
When you ask a question, try to be as specific as you can. Rather than ask a general, sweeping question ("what suspension parts are good?"), try to narrow it down to a specific subject ("Konis vs Bilsteins for a street/open track car?"). Let us know what your intended purpose will be, make, model, and year of car (we welcome all types here), and what relevant mods (if any) you already have. Without this basic information, we can't accurately answer your question.
Use the search function BEFORE you post a question. We don't like rehashing a subject that was discussed just last week, last month, or a even last year if nothing new is brought to the table. We like to be thorough in technical discussions, so chances are good that your question was answered if your topic has been brought up before. In addition, use wildcards in your searches. A search for tire* will find both tires and tire. Finally, don't search for a URL and expect to find out if a link to another site has been posted; that does not work.
Go easy on the signatures. A couple of lines will do. We're more substance over style here. You're here because you want to learn more about cornering your car better. We can assume that you either have a ton of stuff done to your car, or you're going to shortly. If we want/need to know we'll ask.
Do not start a thread asking about 'what kind of music do you guys listen to. . . .' That is considered quite gay, and you will be christened Homo Dancing Queen. This is a car website, not [censored] 'Soul Train.'
Silly usernames (Barry Mccockiner), usernames that imply useless superiority (Supastreetcarkillah), or usernames with alternating caps (tYpERfORdezZcOrt) bring little to no credibility to your posts, and will probably end up getting your dumb ass banned. Try using your own name, and say nothing you wouldn't want associated with it.
Ghetto-tabulous language, street slang, and ebonics are all not welcome here. "sup, dog?" is not acceptable in any post at any time. Nor are the words "dope, mad, tight, hella, or da'bomb" unless they are used in the context that our friend, the dictionary, places them in.
Use the spell check function in your word processor. Then cut and paste your posts into the BB.
Big sigs suck. They waste space and are weak methods for getting people to be impressed by dumbasses. Here's a short rule you guys (and girls!) can live with... Short sigs on CC.com - that's it. If you include a long sig as part of your posts, that will be altered once as an educational measure. Any use after and your user name will be deleted. If you want people to know what bolts you use to hold the LEDs on your hood and which hand you prefer for taking a piss, get a website and include a link.
Please do not tell us that you are a "good driver" and outcorner Corvettes in your stock 1989 GT. We don't care, and if you have to tell us you are a good driver then in all likelihood you aren't. People who actually are good drivers don't have to broadcast it.
If you are new, your post count will tell us this fact. Please don't announce to us that you are new. We know already. Instead lurk, lurk, lurk until you find a topic you have something of value you can contribute to. Telling us you are new will get the minimum in cordial accolades however if you post something stupid at a later date we will remember you and come down much harder. On the other hand, if you "blend" in and post useful info you will slowly gain respect from the "elders".
In addition to being an excellent source of road race and auto-x related tech, cc.com is often a source of lively political and philosophical debate. But like the technical discussions, before entering such a debate, oh newbie, there are a few things you should know: Be prepared to back up your opinion with some reasonable sources. Opinions are like [censored], everybody has one. Opinions are also like [censored] in that no one wants to look at your un-wiped one just for the hell of it, so before you post be prepared to have your opinions questioned, ripped on, torn up, or worse. This board is not your soap box, we don't hold hands, and we only sing Irish drinking songs (although certain poetry is also acceptable). Saying, "you guys are a bunch of big meanie heads" will be of no help as we don't care. Saying, "I'm going to take my ball and go home" will be of no help, as we are well stocked in balls and don't need your wussy pink ball cluttering up the place anyway.
The next guy who provides a link to a site that seems intent on crashing the entire internet through the use of pop-up ads and windows without a warning is going to get a Trac-Link shoved so far up his/her ass that they're gonna "pop-up", too.
Kindly reserve "cute-sie" indications of your uncontrolled physical glee and/or responses to posts (especially YOUR OWN posts) such as <G>, <EG>, <EFG>, etc., for the express purpose of amusing the trailer-trash at whatever [censored]-house-come-chat-room you report to every evening on AOL. It ain't funny, it's actually never cute-cute, and quite frankly, you're neither all that clever nor amusing anyway.
Don't post a question in multiple forums in hopes of "getting more responses." Most members go through every forum when they visit, and they will come across your post regardless of where you put it. Having the same topic occurring in multiple forums makes it difficult to keep track of what's going on and increases the chances of duplicated effort.
Use a meaningful thread title. You want readers to know what the thread is about before they enter the thread. The forum software allows thread titles to be quite long; use this to give your thread a meaningful yet succinct title. A thread title like "brake question" is not nearly as effective as one like "Need help on master cylinder sizes." In addition to drawing the appropriate expertise to your thread, a good title helps when searching the forums at a later date.
Anyone schooled in economics is familiar with Gresham's Law: bad money drives out good. Well, indifferent moderating invites a Gresham's Law of Online Interaction: idiotic postings drive away contributors who have something interesting to say.
"Stang" is a word that inbred cretins use to describe what happened to them when they threw their MGD bottle at the wasp nest growing on their trailer and is not an acceptable substitute for "Mustang", not even if you put an apostrophe in front of it.
Don't even think about posting the most recent amusing picture, funny story, or warning that the atmosphere is on fire that your best friend from accounting just emailed to the company directory. We'll see them whenever the thing invades our inbox.
Checking sources is an important aspect of posting with credabilty. If something you are posting sounds too good to be true and you are relying upon someone else's words to make a point, take your ass out to www.snopes.com or www.google.com and make sure you're not spreading misinformation, which is a capital crime here in CC land.
If you're going to discuss politics, try to make sense: read George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language," available through your favorite search engine.!

Umm...goodbye?
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
Umm...goodbye?

It's not that bad here. In fact I sorta like it... Just people need to lighten up. This is an internet forum not a board room meeting,etc.
Best ramble yet. I agree that this forum could use a little civility and way more thought. Adios!
Wow....it only took 4 posts for Mark's post to be explained through examples.
how about instead of turing this into yet another worthless pissing match, let's give trapps his proper respect and thanks.

let me start!

as i said before, thank you, mark.

GO GREEN!!

Originally posted by MxRacerCam:
thank you, mark.

GO GREEN!!

Take care man. Thanks!
i like those rules they have and i for one will miss the discipline you tried to bring here.
Mark,

Thanks for everything you've done for this community. Much appreciated. Life as a Mod can often be a thankless job, and there is a silent majority of us out there that appreciate it.

I hope you stay around, and continue to contribute.

Thanks Again,
Zack

Good read Mark, brings back some great memories.

And I vouch for the OZs being tough as nails.

I'm one of the people that thinks CEG is coughing up a bit, but it's like crack. You keep coming back to it.

-J
Mark I've had some good discussion with you about exhaust and the Venom kit and various other things. I appreciate your helpfulness as well as anything else you've contributed. If you need anything from Belle Tire, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail or a PM. Hope your fam. is enjoying their G-Mail accoutns! haha
I agree with Mark as to what has happened to this group. It comes in waves, and when the immature n00bs get pissed, the go over to FCO and Dom has to deal with them (sorry Dom )

For us true veterans (4+ years), it is very frustrating to have all these young bucks prancing about like they know what the hell they are talking about. Granted, age has nothing to do with knowledge (I'm only 30).

However, as Mark pointed out, these cars aren't getting any newer or more expensive, so they are more prone to fall into the hands of first time drivers, high schoolers, etc. This is a logical progression. I'm sure on some of the BMW boards, there are some punk ass kids on there that picked up a 1984 318i or something cheap and are trying to hobnob with the Z8,M5/6 peeps. We are lucky that CEG is model specific!

I'm sure that people can dig up numerous rants from me about this same topic. Hell, I was even on hiatus for a while because of it. Believe me, it put things into perspective (IT'S JUST A DAMN CAR!!)

I happen to be very fond of my 98 GL Sport. So much that I have modded the crap out of it (and intend to mod plenty more). For me, it is a true hobby (which is even a tax write-off!) just like computers and making beer.

While it is good to remember the good old days, this group needs to evolve if it's going to survive. The platform deserves at least that much. Heck, look at FastCougar.com!

I think there needs to be some kind of notation as to what members have purchased their Contour/Mystique when it was new from the factory (or at least had one purchased new). That way, n00bs can STFU and listen once in a while

Peace,

-Chris
Trapps, i could not have said it better myself. Thanks for the memories. I will never forget your trying to clean those rims in Toronto while your back was killing you. I thought you were going to fall over!

Anyways, you are one of the few left on the CEG that I can respect. The others I have respect for joined in 00/01. About 99% of the rest are just hear to get in a pissing match.

Good luck with everything and hopefully when I move back to Detroit in a year we can meet up at a Redline meet or something. I hope to keep in touch.
Tim when the hell did you move? I remember old school CEG soccer teams, haha.
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:
I think there needs to be some kind of notation as to what members have purchased their Contour/Mystique when it was new from the factory (or at least had one purchased new). That way, n00bs can STFU and listen once in a while

Peace,

-Chris

I've always wondered how many out there got their contour handed down to them from family members instead of actually making the choice to purchase it themselves...I'd bet this is a good case w/ alot of noobs

Mark, thanks for building one of the sweetest contours on here...it is very inspiring
Mark, your post brought back so many good memories! Thank you for that! Your car, and trunk (so what if it was useless) were beautiful! You will always be remembered by me, as well as a select few of others (Mark Rowe, Brad Noon, Rick, Ray, Hightower) As a pioneers for the small enthusiast group we have here, and an integral part of the community as well.

While SZ02 was the only SZ I managed to attend, I'm sure the ones I miss(ed) would be more of the same. Great people, with great cars, having a great time. It was a pleasure...and in hindsight an honor (though i didn't really know it then) so sit back and drink a few pints of the now infamous "JUG." With you and everyone else that was there (JVT, Bassen, Brad,Antonio, Steve Chang...hell i even went to his house before we began our journey back to NY!). Those good times will never be forgotten, and while I've lost contact with so many of the people i've met through this site, and more seem to be dropping like flies - be it due to long distances or just life - they will always be considered close friends.

The same goes for you. While i've only had the opportunity to "hang out" a few times at SZ02...I have the utmost respect for you and what you've done for this site over the years. I appreciate it alot more than I did then.

The CEG and it's community have become such a big part of my life over the years, it is always sad to see something like this happen. I bid you farewell, and my best regards. If you ever find yourself in NY, in a pinch...you know where to find me!

And again, a thank you is in order to all the mods. Much like many other jobs, it is thankless - but your efforts are appreciated...

Mark, first off thanks for all you've done over the years to keep this site functioning, it is appreciated. But we never really started off on the right foot, and apparently that was the image that stuck with ya of me. Your farewell was deep, I enjoyed it until you started taking words right out of my mouth...
Originally posted by Trapps:

Veterans and noobs alike have been banned, both temporarily and permanently. Suggesting otherwise makes you look like an ass as you are wrong and asserting untrue things. Banning people is not ridiculous â??? look at corner carvers.com , thanks Sal! It works. And, to thank Lance is most appropriate. It was his concept. His hard work, his money and his name on the site. However, to thank him only is ridiculous

... to use me as a bad example. It was an opinion and that is not fair to call me out like that. Also calling the younger generation that is coming into the contour picture 'punks' is a bit much. How can you judge a person so easily with out meeting them. SVT's are an appealing automobile, thats why i bought mine, maybe thats why the younger generation is settling into these cars and why the older generation are selling these cars. At one point all people grow up and need a more suitable vehicle for families and what not, like minivans and SUV's. It happens. From what i've seen in the archives and searching, the first generation of CEG was pretty immature and obnoctious (sp?) for awhile until they finally settled down and realized what this community is like. They had a chance, you can not expect this second wave of contour owners to be ideal to your perfect picture. We need a chance to grow into it just like everyone else did... Most of this is all what i think and my opinions, so its no big deal. Lastly Mark, I'm sorry for the way we started off... Maybe one day we'll meet and you'll realize i'm not such a punk and actually not that bad of a person. The few CEG'ers that i've met and got to know pretty good could probably back that up, i think.
Thanks for the memories Mark,

I'm an old skool been around the block kinda guy on these boards and the changing atmosphere is for the worst. I would love to see all the forums become more moderated.

sorry to see you go. thanks for all your hard work! your example should be followed (not leaving, but being mature), but you can only lead a horse to water. to bad so many of them arent thirsty.

-chris
Mark, that almost brought a tear to my eye. Thanks.

And remember, you are always welcome in my house.

even if you do get one of those horrid P-cars.
I'm not calling anybody out Robert. Your words just happend to illustrate concisely a differing opinion. At no point did I say all younger people, or noobs, are punks. Nor did I point the finger at you. What I implied was a higher percentage of the punks are newer and younger members.

Everyone, thanks for the comments!
Oh man that brought back memories. A lot of things I had forgotten. C U at SZ! Bring on the jug!
Ciao, though I truly hope you do manage to stop by and post here occasionally.

There's a core of posters that keep me coming back (liberal, conservative, plain nuts, chaste, technical, noobs); I have always found you among them.

Since I profoundly suck at goodbyes, I'll let my favorite Irish toast echo my sentiments:

"May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May God hold you in the hollow of his hand."

EDIT: I'll make sure to have a glass of 30-year Macallan tonight to christen the toast. Ironic, using Scotch to hallow an Irish toast, don't you think?
Trapps,

Haven't been around long enough to know you, but its a shame to see you leave. Have fun lurking, its what I did for fun for about 6 months.
My favorite toast has always been...

"Here's to fire! Not the kind that guts out shanty's and burns down houses, but the kind that brings down panties and opens up blouses."

Sorry carry on.
Originally posted by todras:
My favorite toast has always been...

"Here's to fire! Not the kind that guts out shanty's and burns down houses, but the kind that brings down panties and opens up blouses."

Sorry carry on.

I'm using that next time I'm drunk. Hopefully this weekend if I'm selected for a job I've been interviewing for.

Trapps, good luck. I hope that after some time away/lurking you can come back to the group again.
Mark, I must say that was really a touching post. The near two years I've been here (god, doesn't seem that long) you've given to some of us younger and less experienced tour' owners an amazing lesson in the term "grow up". Your "4 step process" makes since, and I wish that that philosophy could live on. I knwo me and you went at it twice over PM's.. but I goota say, I've got MORE respect for you than pretty much anyone on this sight. I appreciate the "kick in the ass" you gave me last year. I do hope to see you lurking in the foregrounds of CEG, the numerous people who have bashed your decisions and opinions (highly educated opinions, mihgt I add) will eventually (hopefully) grow up. I remeber old time CEG (not as far back as you guys can) but I lurked around in in April 2003 and can remeber how much diffrent the site was. Although I didn't become a memebr for a few months later, CEG has DEFINETLY helped me out in many ways. The knowledge than some of you share with us (Demon, Stazi, Trapps, Ray) is amazing. Guys like you deserve a pat on the back because it's you people that have given the life lin and blood to keeping this place around. When yuou guys leave... who knows what's to come. My belt is fastened and so are a few others, we as the "next generation" *leaders* of CEG hope to prove our worthiness. Best of Luck, Mark.. and thanks for the wheels.
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:

The CEG and it's community have become such a big part of my life over the years, it is always sad to see something like this happen. I bid you farewell, and my best regards.

ITA
Nice post Mark. I'll never forget the excitement in your eye after seeing the furst turbo'd SVT in MI, at Pasquales. It was great to get your blessings on my work.

Trust me mate, there isn't a day that passes when I wish I could strangle some missinformed fcukwit about some BS he posted on these forums, but I just try and put forward a good argument in the attempt to try and make them see the error of their ways.

It's hard for OG's like me, and you and Rara and Demon, but really there is no better bulletin board I have found yet. Plus who'd take me and my turbo Contour SVT?

I hope to see you at SZ if you're coming and I hope that every day, your back is feeling better than the day before.

Don't go, we'll miss you especially your occasional outburst at F'en newbies!
I sort of thought the same way awhile back... the highschool maturity level that these boards sometimes show can get to anybody. I'm sure/hope you'll be back. good luck
I feel your pain Mark. I miss the good ole days of CEG when even though the same questions were asked over and over again, people were still nice and polite. SZ 02 was probably the peak of CEG as far as enthusiasm for the Contour, but Mark Knox and I hope to bring that back with SZ 05. Best of luck.
Originally posted by Chris Hightower:
I agree with Mark as to what has happened to this group. It comes in waves...

What I implied was a higher percentage of the punks are newer and younger members.

Geez. Talk like that is startin' to make me feel unclean & unwanted.

Trapps, we've never met, but I've found much constructive information & advise in your posts, & your contributions to the site can be found throughout the archives. I, for one, salute you.

<S>

For those I havenâ??t mentioned by name, my apologies â??? my memory does suck sometimes. For those others (read: immature wanker SOBâ??s) who I didnâ??t mention by name, itâ??s because I donâ??t have anything nice to say about you.

Mark,

Great words, all of it, not just the quote above. I gotta wonder, which group did I end up in.

Don't be a stranger.

TB
Last Man Standing, Friday Night Jug, SZ02
Awww... don't leave!
HAHA!!! You can't be killed by conventional weapons!! You should change your name to keith richards man.

Originally posted by BOFH:
TB
Last Man Standing, Friday Night Jug, SZ02

Originally posted by Corbett:
Trapps, i could not have said it better myself. Thanks for the memories. I will never forget your trying to clean those rims in Toronto while your back was killing you. I thought you were going to fall over!

Anyways, you are one of the few left on the CEG that I can respect. The others I have respect for joined in 00/01. About 99% of the rest are just hear to get in a pissing match.

Good luck with everything and hopefully when I move back to Detroit in a year we can meet up at a Redline meet or something. I hope to keep in touch.

WTF you're in OK!? Random

Mark I'm sure I'll see you around the area. I will be running my own painting business in Royal Oak, Beverly Hills, Berkely...etc. If you need some work done shoot me a PM.

Mark may not remember this, but he actually told me about CEG in June of 02 at a Redline meet...he also gave me Terry's # so I could order up my DMD.

Wow that seems like forever ago.

Thanks for everything Mark.

GO GREEN!
The forums will not "become better" in any way shape or form if our original CEGers keep leaving in droves like they are.

I'm sorry you feel forced to lurk, but if you're waiting for improvements you won't become a regular poster ever again.

I disagree with Kremit's post in this topic ... things need to be taken more seriously on these boards. Otherwise, the immaturity will continue. Of course, that's never going to happen.

As everybody here, I wonder what category you consider me to be in. (Feel free to PM ... I won't bite.)

Sorry to see you go, Trapps.
I'm pretty sure I'm the most positive contributor to this board. Don't worry; I'll never leave.
Sorry to hear you going mark but in all Honestly I dno't think im far behind!

Good luck!
There goes another one...

We keep losing our founding members around here, and it plain stinks.

I agree with Mark, CEG has taken on a new character, one that is incredibly immature and misinformed.

CEG needs to be cleaned up, and order needs to be restored. Too many flame wars and whatnot...

Mark, good luck man.
Take it easy, my friend..

From one "ol' timer" to another: The times they are a-changin', and nothing can be done to slow them down. So sit back, drink up, and realize that it is the never-ending friendship you gain that keeps us, as a people, going in this world.

I take a set!

Ray
It is sad to see another "old timer" go, although I guess it is only inevitable.

Good luck in the future, and thanks for everything you have done for the CEG.
I too , have been around since the "days of old" here at CEG and totally agree with the way CEG has turned around recently ... it's a damn shame .

I'm sorry you're leaving us , Mark . It's a real bummer when someone who's contributed a whole lot of his free time feels he's been beaten down so much he's gotta leave . Being a moderator is always going to be a thankless job , as you're always stepping on someone's toes . Up until recently , those people could take it maturely . I've always tried to keep an open mind about it , but you an only keep it open so long (unfortunatley) . I just wish everyone that pi$$es & moans , complains & whines could realize how GREAT of a site this really is ! Sure , you're gonna get your feelings hurt once in a while (by being moderated or whatever) , but being a total baby about it is going to RUIN this GREAT site . The dedication to a (now defunct) car platform has always amazed me from the beginning . I'd like to see it return to the site it once was . I know that's not possible , but a man can WISH , can't he ??

When we're losing good , long-time members because they get berated for doing their "job" (in quotes on purpose) it's a real shame . He VOLUNTEERED to moderate to keep this site A #1 ... now he's LEAVING because of the recourse of doing it ?? It's truly depressing .

Good Bye Mark . You won't be forgotten . And by the way ... THANKS !
Good luck to you Mark, that thread brought back some good memories and some bad (damn guardrail)...
Add copious amounts of JUG (where are those pics anyway?)

ROFLMAO. I knew somebody would post them.

Oh man the memories. Thanks P.

-J
/own3d
i too am sorry to see you go mark. man, it has been 5 years already since coming to this site. thanks for everything including the sale of the car. make sure you poke your head in here every once in awhile.
i have some super infamous video lying here in my room somewhere!!!
I will definitely miss you... you've been a great resource, a great member, and a great moderator...

I'll step out on a limb...

When I'm not here, I post on
mazda6club.com (mostly car type, not real political)
rx7club.com (a lot of younger crap in the regular lounge, but great rotary information and the Difference of Opinion page is frequently the best political place I hang out).

I can see the issues of those not as mature as others (though sometimes I appreciate that you all will let someone do a good harmless rant). Comparing it to the RX-7 community I hang around in, there's a lot of the horseplay and adolescent stuff... but it doesn't seem to simmer like it does here.

My advice... something happens, let it go, don't nurture an incident and let that hate become an embedded part of the site to return over and over again. Say your peace, and let it be over.

Take care of yourself, and I hope our paths cross frequently.
Trapps is gone into lurking ... and Perry's back?

My mind is twisting

Good to see you Perry!

Don't leave poor Timmmmmay out of the "old days" talk

That brought back some good memories too. I can't believe I've been on here for going on 5 years! May 9th I will own my car for 5 years too!!!

My time spent on here has also diminished quite a bit over the years, mainly in the past 2 years. But I have met some great people, made friends I otherwise would not have met and learned alot about cars in general. Not to mention all the memories from SZ02.

Hopefully you will still come back and visit, or maybe you can cure your additiction. Which gives me hope that I can cure mine some day too.

Speaking of old-timers, what ever became/ happened to Moe?

I hope noone else who bear intelligence and a sweet car leave the forum. There's guys like me who realistically couldn't fit into the niche in time for SZ events when I joined in late '03.

Hope you come to SZ05. It will be "make or break time" for the new members that show up (I'm among them).

-Bill
a farewell thread i can relate to. still troll from time to time, but the glory days of ceg seem to be in the past.

that said - this place has been a great site to hang out, learn more about our cars, discuss politics , religion, sports, and other bs to pass the time. good luck to those on their way out, staying to the end, and just arriving.
Originally posted by BP:
... but the glory days of ceg seem to be in the past.

I've only been on the boards for 2 years. Glory days gone or not, this is the only forum I visit regularly. Everything else I've been to is filled with smart-azz kids talkin' trash, or know-it-all condescending twits puffing themselves up by making fun of newbs instead of helping them.

CEG still rocks!

The younger, newer members are a big part of the problem here. So are some of the older â??think they know it all and have a bad attitude members.â?? Mostly itâ??s the newer, younger punks though. Face it, the platform is aging and becoming cheaper. As this happens younger people can afford the cars. Younger people are inherently, as a percentage of any group, less mature. If you fit this description, please go away and come back when/if you grow up.

Could it have been the meh post that was imature?
That thread was sooo gay. I hope all who posted in it die a fiery, painful death.
Originally posted by Eric L:

Speaking of old-timers, what ever became/ happened to Moe?

Last i heard, he sold his car and just grew distanced from this site. I'd love to know as well. Cool guy.
As i sit here reading all the people posting, and mentionin all the "old-timers" leaving, i thought of tryin to start a list of all the ones i remember, but it got to the point where is was really long, and i was still forgetting people. From loosing you to pascal, to world tour, to spatt, antonio, to all the others that started and continued to aid in our passion for this car i thank you. I joined this site back when i was 14, and ill be turning 19 in may, way back when we had the other board, even back then i was a contributing memember. I dont think ive ever shown my age by acting immature here, and i think that ive gained quite few friends from that.
Originally posted by GIT-R-DONE:
to world tour,

He didn't go anywhere.
wow, a very moving post. Trapps, I always looked up to you as a great CEG'r. Though tuff at times it was all for the best. I understand that you feel that the problem here is some of the younger people on this site, and I take some part in that, ive created some problems in the past that I didnt need to make because I was being dumb. I learned though. If I had any way to contribute towards your decision, or how you feel about the younger audiance here then I apologise to you. Trapps, its been a pleasure... no... a Prividlege to know you here on this wounderful community known as CEG. I think I speak for all of us when I say, you have been a credit to all of us. Hope to see you around man and good luck
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
Originally posted by MxRacerCam:
thank you, mark.

GO GREEN!!

© CEG Archives