Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TaurusKev Want to add foglights! - 04/30/04 01:34 AM
I want fog lights in my 1995 Ford Contour GL.... it Appears to have the wiring for the fog lights (the wires are close to the holes) However, i did have a bulb for it, plugged it in, and pulled my switch out (my switch does pull out) but the light didnt go on... (and my light switch turns all 360 degrees... i dont think its good...) Questions now are:
1. Wheres the damn relay go?

2. What does the connection part of the switch look like, i have all 15 pins EXCEPT 6, 8, and 10

That is all for now...
Posted By: peznux Re: Want to add foglights! - 04/30/04 01:41 AM
I've been asking about where that relay goes for a long time and nobody has given an answer that I saw
Posted By: dsickles123456789_dup1 Re: Want to add foglights! - 04/30/04 02:52 AM
would the owners manual say where the relay is for the lights? i would assume its somewhere in the engine fuse box
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Want to add foglights! - 04/30/04 03:26 AM
Talk to Steve (bk4293).
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: Want to add foglights! - 04/30/04 02:17 PM
Could the fogs be spliced into the parking lights, utilizing the existing headlight switch? Or would this be too much of a draw on somethingy/wiring/switchypoo/electricality?? Will I blow something up
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 04/30/04 02:39 PM
Last diagram I saw, the relay was a separate unit that is under the dash behind the headlight switch somewhere.

If your switch is rotating 360, get another one.

The wires on the switch harness that you need are two of the three that run across the middle of the switch. You can verify this by removing the switch, placing your Ohm meter across two of the center leads in the switch, & pulling the switch out to turn on the fog lights. Resistance will go from infinate to near 0 when you find the right two leads (usually the two on the inboard side).

I added fog lights to my Contour. I bought a factory switch, factory lights, facotry plugs yanked from a junked 'Tour. I bought an aftermarket kit & used the wiring, relay from the kit & hooked everything up. Works great & I have spare aftermarket lights. Think I'll use them for rear fog lights, like on the Pontiacs.

Just kidding about the rear foggies! But those Pontiacs look kinda goofy with those huge backup lights.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/01/04 04:58 AM
took my switch apart....
2 plastic connectors broke, the 2 pins in the middle are for the light inside the switch... need a new switch then
Posted By: N-terst8 Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/02/04 03:32 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:
Could the fogs be spliced into the parking lights, utilizing the existing headlight switch? Or would this be too much of a draw on somethingy/wiring/switchypoo/electricality?? Will I blow something up

I would like to know this two... is this possible?

Steve

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/02/04 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Steve Benthal Jr.:

Sure, it's possible, but 110 watt draw on that circuit will be too much. The switch is not designed to take that kind of current. Your best bet is to invest in a $20 set of foggies from where-ever, & use their wiring harness & relay. Your switch can be utilized to activate the circuit with minimal current added.

Better still would be to pick up a used $10 headlight/foglight switch on Ebay and wire accordingly.

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/02/04 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ContourKev:
took my switch apart....
2 plastic connectors broke, the 2 pins in the middle are for the light inside the switch... need a new switch then

???????????

My switch was wired like this (each '.' is a blank space):

x.x.x.x
.-.-.-
x.x.x.x

Two of those '-' were the fog light circuit which I confirmed with a simple continuity test on the switch. Pull out the foggies, 0 resistance. The 'x' were used for other stuff.

There were two small brown wires with misc stripes on the harness plug that were the fog light switch wires, I spliced my aftermarket switch wires in there so my new switch would work like factory. Funny 'cause I didn't have the wiring under the bumper....?
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/02/04 08:38 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Sure, it's possible, but 110 watt draw on that circuit will be too much. The switch is not designed to take that kind of current. Your best bet is to invest in a $20 set of foggies from where-ever, & use their wiring harness & relay. Your switch can be utilized to activate the circuit with minimal current added.

Better still would be to pick up a used $10 headlight/foglight switch on Ebay and wire accordingly.

Even the Factory fogs use a relay.

Always best to use a relay. It lowers the amps on the sawitch so it lasts longer and gives higher voltage (Less voltage drop because of wire lengths) to the bulbs for better light.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 02:49 AM
Got a SWITCH for Foglights!

someoe take a picture of where the relay goes/is... I am still lost there... Seems tho my wiring harness wont support Fog lights, like I hafta add em manually to the switch i think...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 03:07 AM
A friend of mine is gonna help me hook stock fog lights to my car. I don't have the stock harness behind the bumper so we're gonna have to rig something up. We got a relay and we're gonna wire that so whenever the parking lights are on, the foggies will be on. One question: if I get a fog light kit from the store will this have connectors to go onto the bulbs of the stock lights? This would make the setup easier otherwise we have to take more time trying to wire stuff onto the bulb connector.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 03:11 AM
Well i got wiring harness for the Fog lights behind the bumper, its in the switch part im confused...
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 03:26 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
One question: if I get a fog light kit from the store will this have connectors to go onto the bulbs of the stock lights?

The chances that an aftermarket kit has the right connectors is about 0. I cut plugs from a factory harness at the bone yard so they'd fit factory fogs. I got a factory headlight/fog switch on Ebay for about $12, so mine are just like stock now.

Hooking up to the parking lights, I'm now quite sure how to do that.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 03:32 AM
Hooking up to the parking lights will be easy. Just wire the foggies to the relay/relay to power and ground/and parking lights (multiple places to do it from) to relay. I understand what to do, I'm just not good at doing it, that's why I'm having a friend do it. I guess I'll be calling the junk yard to see if I can get the connectors.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 03:36 AM
Maybe you could talk to Kev about where to put his relay & how to wire up his fogs. I went the easy route with factory switch & aftermarket kit.
Posted By: Frosty Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 05:39 PM
I asked the same question a couple weeks ago and booger helped me somewhat. He told me BAT had the fogs and I am looking for a switch in a junkyard soon, but I am not sure about the location of the relay. Can someone please help???? I would like to keep the wire cutting and splicing to a minimum. I already have the instructions from booger on how to wire the p-lights in with the fogs, but don't know where the relay goes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: fordceggl Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 05:53 PM
I have a plug that kind of looks like a headlight plug it is just smaller and it is comeing off my left headight wire by the window washer tank. Is this plug for my fog lights what is this plug for. help
Posted By: Booger Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 08:04 PM
Ok, the relay is in the dash. Remove the panel under the steering column and it mounts to a support brace on the left side. I don't have a camera or I would do some pics. If you are in the DetroitMetro area I would be glad to come help with the instal. Its easier to be there doing the work than be online tech support. I've been searching and haven't found pics so far, but I'll post when I do.
Posted By: N-terst8 Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 08:41 PM
So you would need a relay, which is below the steering column, some foglight connectors, fog light bulb and assembly, switch, and some wires? Is there any how-to on how it all should be hooked up?

Steve
Posted By: Booger Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 08:55 PM
I don't know of one off hand but I'm sure a search would turn up something. Check your car for wires under the front bumper that may be for fogs. If you don't have them I would just go with aftermarket. For the Mystique, I think I would deffinatly go with an aftermarket set becuase they use different fogs than the Contour and aren't availble from BAT. That way you get the relay, switch, lights, and wires for probably cheaper than FoMoCo parts even if they are junkyard parts.You can get some really nice ones that produce much better lighting than stock. Aftermarket lights come with directions too.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/03/04 08:59 PM
Is there any how-to on how it all should be hooked up?

As far as I know, no.

I just got a cheap $20 foggie kit & used the wiring diagram & harness from that kit. Instead of the kit switch, I wired it into a factory headlight/fog switch. Instead of the kit lights, I wired in the factory lights with some connectors I cut off an old Contour in the bone yard. Easy. No guessing.

I know next to nothing about how a relay circuit works. I know what it does, just not how it does it. So, I play it safe & use somebody elses wiring diagram & wiring. $20 well spent. I've also seen some cheapie fog/driving lights on clearance for $10 here & there, so look around.
Posted By: N-terst8 Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 02:19 AM
Where can I get aftermarket fogs for the mystique?

Steve
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 03:33 AM
'Bout anywhere. Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, online somewhere... You have loads of choices. You could even troll the local or online yards to find some factory units.

I think the BATinc.net site says their factory lights actually do fit the Mystique, but I don't know for sure. Search to see if you can find info on that... [BAT fog Mystique] with an 'and' operator should narrow things down nicely.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 03:38 AM
Contour fog lights won't fit a stique, they're way different. Well, they would, but not in the stock location.
Posted By: N-terst8 Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 03:40 AM
How would you make one fit that doesn't fit the factory-set place for the fog lights? I'm one of those types of people that got to have it looking neat and orderly. nothing hanging off of huge clips and what not.

Thanks for any help, and I appologize for stealing the thread too

Steve
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 04:06 AM
How would you make one fit that doesn't fit the factory-set place for the fog lights? I'm one of those types of people that got to have it looking neat and orderly. nothing hanging off of huge clips and what not.

You're in luck Steve, most of the aftermarket will come with "universal" brackets that will allow them to be fit in the appropriate spot.

If you're all that wound up about fit (which I was too), do the same thing that I did, grab some stock foggies and a stock headlight-w/foggies switch from a bone yard. Snip the fog light connectors off the car while you're at it so you can be sure you can plug them in. Pick up a cheap set of fog lights for $10 or $20 and use the wiring & instructions from the kit to set everying in. Looks & works just like factory, plus you get brand new wires, relay, & fusing.
Posted By: Frosty Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 04:33 PM
Thanks for the help booger! That will definitely help me out. I did a search, but turned up nothin. I will keep looking and post anything I can find.
Posted By: N-terst8 Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 09:59 PM
So do you need the actual factory switch or are there aftermarket ones you can buy or make yourself? I found the connectors to the foglights.

Thanks,

Steve
Posted By: outkast Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 11:52 PM
I hope you guys went to the HOW TO section!
It gives you the info. for installing fog lights with the
factory switch.I just installed a pair of factory SE
fogs on my LX.I will do the wire connections from
the HOW TO INSTALL SECTION.
Posted By: outkast Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/04/04 11:55 PM
Yes! the factory fog lights plug directly into the factory
harness.The wires and plug connection are in place and my
car didn,t come with fog lights.
Posted By: peznux Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/06/04 03:00 AM
Can someone PLEASE take a pic of your relay/wires behind the headlight switch. This seems like the one thing that nobody has a picture of...
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/06/04 04:14 AM
Originally posted by peznux:
Can someone PLEASE take a pic of your relay/wires behind the headlight switch. This seems like the one thing that nobody has a picture of...

Because its called laziness... someone could probaly help establish somethin in the main FAQ... but noone wants to
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/06/04 12:57 PM
Originally posted by peznux:

Because its called laziness... someone could probaly help establish somethin in the main FAQ... but noone wants to

I want to, but I don't have the stock setup. Sorry.
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/08/04 05:35 AM

(Geocities sucks: http://www.geocities.com/contourkev/Fog_wiring.jpg )

Heres a wiring diagram I got, says fog lamp relay is on left side of I/P... wonder if thats short for Instrument Panel? but for those who did need a wiring diagram, I got one up
Posted By: outkast Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/08/04 08:18 PM
I just added factory fog lights to my LX.I went to the junk
yard for the relay and harness.The wires are all behind
the headlight.You just have to add the relay and the fog
light indicator to the dash.I also got the fog light
indicator panel light from the junk yard.Good luck
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/09/04 02:13 AM
Well i got wiring harness for the Fog lights behind the bumper, its in the switch part im confused...

Dude, why don't you show up to a meet one day and we can ip apart my car to see how I did mine!!!
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/09/04 02:22 AM
Thats what I have to do! most the time ive been busy latily...
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/22/04 09:46 PM
Thats what I have to do! most the time ive been busy latily...

Got the main wiring to the switch for foglights, and I got it has a White Relay on it, Junkyard had a fresh Contour Sport that I took the foglights from

Right relay?
Posted By: TaurusKev Re: Want to add foglights! - 05/23/04 04:16 AM
Did some investigating on installing the wiring to the fog lights, I got the wiring that goes TO the foglights (cus they perfectly fit the lightbulb...) but when I look under the dash for the wiring colors for the Fog lights... i cant find em... anyone else who put their own fog lights in face this problem?
© CEG Archives