Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Black 98 CSVT I'M SO MAD - 08/10/06 08:02 PM
i went to hightower my headlights today, and what a surprise. i told my dad that i was going to be doing this about 2 weeks ago. my dads alzheimers kicked in and he threw out my old set of practice headlights the other day looks like i'll have to stick with the stock clearcorners for now
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/10/06 08:06 PM
So grow some balls and do the new ones.

Posted By: Black 98 CSVT Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/10/06 08:10 PM
yeah... i wanted just to be sure that what im doing is alright. baking at 325 farenheit for 3 minutes? just want to be sure. i dont wanna do it just to screw them all up and buy another set of new headlights
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/10/06 08:16 PM
marinate for added flavor
Posted By: Pienstars Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/10/06 08:17 PM
Originally posted by SVTatGT:
marinate for added flavor

lmao
Posted By: TRicker Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/11/06 12:37 AM
i hear you do them at 275 for 2 minutes at a time prying on them in between until they come apart.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/11/06 02:55 AM
People should really look at the How-To sticky at the top of the forum more often.

The how-to is HERE

Pete put that together after I explained the process. It's pretty straight forward and if you take your time it's easy and fool proof. Read it carefully and if you have any questions PM me.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/11/06 05:06 PM
thats weird..
Posted By: Ã?ber Evil Mushu! Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/11/06 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Black 98 CSVT:
yeah... i wanted just to be sure that what im doing is alright. baking at 325 farenheit for 3 minutes? just want to be sure. i dont wanna do it just to screw them all up and buy another set of new headlights

NO BAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/11/06 06:04 PM
BAKING FTW
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/11/06 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
BAKING FTW

i did mine at 250 and let em sit for 3 mins and it worked fine for me. no cracking and the seal is much better then dremeling..................................................FTW
Posted By: Black 98 CSVT Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/11/06 06:27 PM
ive heard a lot better things from baking rather than cutting. i dont trust myself cutting without practicing on a set first
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/12/06 05:34 AM
ive heard a lot better things from baking rather than cutting. i dont trust myself cutting without practicing on a set first

i didnt do mine so i wouldnt know..lol
Posted By: SVTGT350 Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/13/06 06:59 PM
I used a heat gun, worked awesome.
Posted By: Black 98 CSVT Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/15/06 02:41 AM
hmmm, ive never heard of it working with a heat gun. ive heard stories but no successful ones. the thing is, you cant adjust the heat on those can you?
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/15/06 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Ã?Å?ber Evil Mushu!:

NO BAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not CUT!!!!!

Ive cut close to 7 sets now, and baked one. Ill tell you now. BAKIGN FMTFW.

Cutting leaves you with sealing problems, baking will not!

As long as you have newer headlights with the black silicon glue (black overflow instead of yellow uv glue) you are ok.

heat for 4 ish minutes at a time at 295* slowly prying in places. Be sure you are not warping the U channel that holds the glass.

trust me, ive done two projecter sets by cutting headlights, and ive cut 5 other sets open for R&D purposes. Baking is the best/safest way to get these open and re-sealed.

Once I seal up the set im doing now, ill be baking for sure, no spidering, no melting, just perfect headlight opening!
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/15/06 03:48 AM
hmmm, ive never heard of it working with a heat gun. ive heard stories but no successful ones. the thing is, you cant adjust the heat on those can you?

Um...hold it farther away from the housing!
Posted By: Black 98 CSVT Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/17/06 07:40 AM
so i bought some crappy oem headlights from the junkyard for $15 each and baked them open. pretty easy and looks amazing. now for my good headlights...
Posted By: jitb Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/17/06 10:21 PM
bake them!
Posted By: BenC Re: I'M SO MAD - 08/24/06 06:46 PM
Ya! Bake 'em!
© CEG Archives