Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: jtmccann81 recovering my dash - 08/03/06 05:44 AM
I plan to grab a junk yard dash that will fit my 99 se tour and recover it in a new non warping dash material. could some one help me I need to know what type of padding and cover material I need to use? I know I can use suade or vinyl. I want to go with a light charcoal color in the end. I will also be painting the black trim to match the t-red on the car.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: recovering my dash - 08/03/06 12:31 PM
There is no need to do any of that if you are swapping the dash. If you get a dash from a 95-98.5 they will never warp, period.
Posted By: Nezerconezer Re: recovering my dash - 08/03/06 02:31 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
There is no need to do any of that if you are swapping the dash. If you get a dash from a 95-98.5 they will never warp, period.

Yeah but I cant imagine how hard that must be to do.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: recovering my dash - 08/03/06 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Nezerconezer:

Huh?

You post says that you are getting a dash from the junkyard for your 99 SE. Why would getting a dash from a 95-98.5 be any different to install?
Posted By: Nezerconezer Re: recovering my dash - 08/03/06 03:16 PM

Huh?

You post says that you are getting a dash from the junkyard for your 99 SE. Why would getting a dash from a 95-98.5 be any different to install?

Thats not my post.
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: recovering my dash - 08/03/06 05:32 PM
I'm getting a 98+ dash to recover and make look better than a stock look. I am tired with the stock look of our dash I want change. I want to know what padding do I need?!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: recovering my dash - 08/03/06 07:12 PM

Huh?

Thats not my post.

Wow, I don't know how I read that wrong. Sorry about that.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: recovering my dash - 08/03/06 07:23 PM
Originally posted by jtmccann81:
I'm getting a 98+ dash to recover and make look better than a stock look. I am tired with the stock look of our dash I want change. I want to know what padding do I need?!

EDITED to be nicer. This heat is really getting to me big time.

Explain what you mean better?

There is two types of factory dash, 95-98.5 which do not warp, and look better IMO, and theres the 99-00 dash which warps and not as sharp looking IMO.
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 12:24 AM
I will be taking a dash out of a 99 at the local junkyard and pulling the part that warps off and recoving it with a padding and top layer of vinal(preshrunk) or suede to finish off the new dash.
Posted By: Tourige Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 12:57 AM
Originally posted by jtmccann81:
I will be taking a dash out of a 99 at the local junkyard and pulling the part that warps off and recoving it with a padding and top layer of vinal(preshrunk) or suede to finish off the new dash.

Wrong. GO PRE-98 IT WILL NOT RE-WARP
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 02:06 AM
I'm not using the same materials that warped in the first place. So I don't have to worry about warping again.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 02:31 AM
Dude, the whole dash warps. You recover it, and then your work will be ruined when the [censored] underneath DOES warp!
Posted By: jtmccann81 Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 02:40 AM
the fabric and padding warp not the metal and plastic subframe and that was confrimed by the local dealerships bodyshop.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 05:27 PM
if you put in a pre 98 dash, do u have to get a new speedo? i know you would need to get all the black trim and stuff.would you need to get the hvac ontrols or would the ones from the post 98 dash work? let me clear this up. what ALL would i need from the junk yard? say i have a 99 and wanna go pre 98 dash.. is there a list of parts?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 06:08 PM
Originally posted by pimpdcontour:
is there a list of parts?

Heres the list:

Dash

Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 06:38 PM
all the wiring is plug and play then? i guess that is what i am worried about.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 06:43 PM

What wiring? Theres no wires for the dash itself. Dash is nothing but screws. Wiring is under the dash.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 07:02 PM

What wiring? Theres no wires for the dash itself. Dash is nothing but screws. Wiring is under the dash.

ok well i am glad i asked because i didn't know. i been thinking about this mod for a while now. time to start looking for a nice color dash.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 07:13 PM

ok well i am glad i asked because i didn't know. i been thinking about this mod for a while now. time to start looking for a nice color dash.

I wish the dash in my parts car was still good. I want to install it into my 2000. But the airbags in the parts car blew and it damages the dash on the passenger side when it does.
Posted By: pimpdcontour Re: recovering my dash - 08/04/06 07:25 PM

I wish the dash in my parts car was still good. I want to install it into my 2000. But the airbags in the parts car blew and it damages the dash on the passenger side when it does.

i hope i never have the airbags go off in this car. i was in a wreck 6 or 7 years ago, my buddy rear ended a SCHOOL bus. that sukd!!!!! he had a real nie hole in his hood from the tail pipe of the bus. i got hit in the face with the air bag, i never want to feel that again.!!!
Posted By: rouar Re: recovering my dash - 08/07/06 09:58 AM

The pre98 HVAC vents and such might look different, but they are all the same dimensions so you can still keep your 98+ plastics (which IMO look better). Just don't get a Mystique dash, lol!
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: recovering my dash - 08/07/06 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Rouar:

The pre98 HVAC vents and such might look different, but they are all the same dimensions so you can still keep your 98+ plastics (which IMO look better). Just don't get a Mystique dash, lol!

The dashboard itself is identical through all years (early Mystiques aside). The differences are all in the trim pieces that are attached, most notably the bezel around the gauges.
© CEG Archives