Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: shavedsvt paint or not to paint? - 06/21/06 11:49 PM
this friday starts my 10 day break from school. i am planning on putting my rear shaved doors back on my car, but i also wanted to touch up the car also. im repainting the doors, bumper and fenders to fix dents and dings from idiots in parking lots. i guess my question is what do you guys think about painting the mirror bases and the fading strips on either side of the windshield too. any opinions are appreciated.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 12:04 AM
the faded strips, i think that would look great! as for the mirror bases, usually on any other color, its too much, but i think you might be able to pull it off with black.
Posted By: shavedsvt Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 12:12 AM
i also was thinking about heating up my headlights and painting them to be hightowered. since my rear is all black, including my taillights, these are all i could think of painting next.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 12:53 AM
Let me know how the faded strips end up looking. Mine are very faded but I am not sure how they would turn out.
Posted By: gooserex Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 02:54 AM
holy crap that's a nice lookin black SVT! One of these days i'll have a Mirko.
Posted By: shavedsvt Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 03:18 AM
well it might not be black in 10 days. i was going to price out the paint that i have on my dash. its WRX blue. looks nice on the dash but, on the whole car.... i dunno. i love the black but it shows everything. everyscratch, every dent, and my driveway is gravel so its always dirty.ill post pictures when i get home bof the dash to see your responses
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 03:52 AM
Hmmmm, those wheels look familiar.

Looks like FedEx pulled through for you with the centric rings and lug nuts. Hope you like the wheels.
Posted By: shavedsvt Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 04:11 AM
actually i was actually told to screw myself. no joke! i was told that the woman was fired and that the parts would be found or money would be sent to me. i think its been a month or so, and nothing. oh well the day after they showed up at my house, i went to summit on my drive home from penn. and bought new ones. i like them alot, but those cracks are bad. school is welding them for free tho . and they throw weights really easy. the front came off last week. no problems though. well worth the money!thanks tony. you like the car?
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 04:20 AM
Originally posted by shavedsvt:
actually i was actually told to screw myself. no joke! i was told that the woman was fired and that the parts would be found or money would be sent to me. i think its been a month or so, and nothing. oh well the day after they showed up at my house, i went to summit on my drive home from penn. and bought new ones. i like them alot, but those cracks are bad. school is welding them for free tho . and they throw weights really easy. the front came off last week. no problems though. well worth the money!thanks tony. you like the car?

Whoa! I'm really sorry that happened. I taped the hell out of that bag to get it to stay on the rim. My g/f taped it first and wasn't good enough at all. So I ripped off the mess of tape and did it again myself. I didn't think it was going to budge. Sorry about that.

That's sweet they are getting fixed for free. It's nice to have hook-ups like that. For me, it wasn't worth putting anymore money into the wheels. $300 for the wheels, $440 tires, $100 centercaps (broken and incorrect ones came with the wheels when I bought them), $30 centric rings. So yeah, you got a deal on them for sure. DO NOT loose those center caps! Discontinued and not available anywhere. I went through hell to get them. I contacted eBayers selling Tantrums asking if I can buy just the caps from them. I had finally found someone willing to do it.

Car looks awesome so far. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: shavedsvt Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 04:33 AM
is that why they look like they were hot glued on? i saw that and i was like "man he really didnt want to lose these caps". no problems except the clean up of the tape. one rim had adheisive all around the inside. i took time to clean them so they look spotless. i like them. also dont you like the grills. before i bought the rims i was like "at least ill know how they look". the same mesh, color, and everything, but i painted my rear. thanks for the good buy tony!
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 04:40 AM
is that why they look like they were hot glued on? i saw that and i was like "man he really didnt want to lose these caps". no problems except the clean up of the tape. one rim had adheisive all around the inside. i took time to clean them so they look spotless. i like them. also dont you like the grills. before i bought the rims i was like "at least ill know how they look". the same mesh, color, and everything, but i painted my rear. thanks for the good buy tony!

One center cap came to me with broken clips. Of course the person I bought them from decided not to tell me until I emailed them when I got them. I just used some Goop adhesive on it. Nothing crazy, but they will not come off for sure. I used them on the last caps I had, and even though they were the wrong ones and didn't fit correctly, they never budged.

Yeah, the car looks just like mine did. I've gone through a bunch of changes recently though. Haven't had time to do a photoshoot of it this year though. Soon though.

Anyways, enough of that. Lets keep the thread on topic for ya.
Posted By: shavedsvt Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 04:45 AM
thanks tony, ok back on topic, im going to paint the strips for sure this weekend. i just need ideas about the color. black blue. im thinking black is easier becuase i dont have to paint jambs, engine compartment, trunk all that stuff. i just hate how black shows all the bad stuff, just like white paint and dirt showing. i like the black besides that so ill probably keep it black but anything else i can paint? morrors and strips are all i could think of.
Posted By: BlackE1 Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 12:59 PM
anything else i can paint?

My black svt is in need for some paint.
Posted By: GetBooby151�© Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 03:36 PM
Hi Im new heere, and I was wondering what type of mods you all do to your Contours? Maybe someone can put together a small list?

Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 03:37 PM
Originally posted by GetLucky151�©:
Hi Im new heere, and I was wondering what type of mods you all do to your Contours? Maybe someone can put together a small list?

Posted By: BlackE1 Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 03:59 PM
Originally posted by SVT4STD:

x2
Posted By: GetBooby151�© Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 04:02 PM
Originally posted by BlackE1:
Originally posted by SVT4STD:

x2

its a joke guys....

a joke.
Posted By: shavedsvt Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 05:57 PM
nice joke jeff.... but im not new here. just wanted some opinions. why dont you post some instead.
Posted By: Stylin55_oh Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 06:17 PM

i painted my mirrors all one color. For the sake of everything holy take them off the car to paint. because otherwise your power window will go out and then you realize that you have to remove the mirror to get into the door and then you realize the paint covers the joint between the two and then you have to fix where the paint chipped a little and then....

lol but anyways. i tought having black in there would look crappy.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 06:21 PM
Body colored mirror bases only looks on black - ties with the sail panels.

IF people would use a sealant on the black peices adjacent to the windshield, they would not fade. 5+ years and mine still looked brand new when I sold it.
Posted By: teamSVTour Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 06:21 PM
I think if you go to paint one of the two (the two being either the mirror bases or the sails) you need to do both. They only seem to look right when they both are the same color and match. It pulls the look through. But then again I'm not partial to either of the two being painted any other color than black. To me it can kind of look cheesey and does not look OEM. Im anal when it comes to detail. thats my .02
Posted By: shavedsvt Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 06:32 PM
yea i agree, i have a cleaner for those strips, but painting them body color, i think would look better, or at least black so when you wash and wax your car the trim is also painted so you can wax those also. shine them up
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 07:08 PM
yea i agree, i have a cleaner for those strips, but painting them body color, i think would look better, or at least black so when you wash and wax your car the trim is also painted so you can wax those also. shine them up

They don't need to be painted in order to be waxed - same as rubber trim. If they are waxed from early on before detorioration, then they will always look and feel brand new. Unfortunately, most people don't know/wax and the reach the point of no return.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/22/06 08:44 PM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
Body colored mirror bases only looks on black - ties with the sail panels.

IF people would use a sealant on the black peices adjacent to the windshield, they would not fade. 5+ years and mine still looked brand new when I sold it.

I've actually been toying with the idea of painting my mirrors black on my Silver Frost. I think it would give the car a cleaner look, eliminating what right now is a silver piece kind of hanging in mid-air, if you get what I mean.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/23/06 04:18 AM
nice rims
Posted By: shavedsvt Re: paint or not to paint? - 06/23/06 04:36 AM
thanks GOONZ, ive had people tell me they make the car look a whole lot better, btw this week after i paint the bases and the strips, ill post pictures for those who want them. hopefully it will look even better.
© CEG Archives