Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Sweet!!
Holy [censored]!

It's too bad the horn cover wouldn't match (color wise). Hmm... painting woudl work. I LOVE how that looks. Can anyone verify further that this WILL indeed work.

If so... I'm buying it. It looks softer, perferated, and VERY nice. Wait... It looks liek what came on the st-200. Am I wrong?

Must be what they were originally intended for. Wish I could get a black airbag cover to match. Could die it I guess. Don't want it to look like arse though. Would look much better on a car with Midnight interior.
Originally posted by todras:
Must be what they were originally intended for. Wish I could get a black airbag cover to match. Could die it I guess. Don't want it to look like arse though. Would look much better on a car with Midnight interior.

I thought you had Midnight interior?

Hmm.. I do. What woudl you rate (complexity wise) to pull the steering wheel?
Last I checked midnight didn't come on pre98's. Complexity of removing a wheel. 3 out of 10 with 10 being the hardest. Pretty darn easy. 2 bolts on the backside that hold the airbag on, pull the bag, 1 nut that holds the wheel on and a couple clips for horn and airbag wiring.
Originally posted by todras:
Last I checked midnight didn't come on pre98's. Complexity of removing a wheel. 3 out of 10 with 10 being the hardest. Pretty darn easy. 2 bolts on the backside that hold the airbag on, pull the bag, 1 nut that holds the wheel on and a couple clips for horn and airbag wiring.

Oh I thought you swapped the interior in your pre98 from that crispy tour you bought.

I'm going to email the seller and try and get a part number or more verbal confirmation that it would work. I keep looking at it and it almsot looks like it's the FSVT steering wheels, as it had perforated leather on it. I guess I can buy it, if it doesn't work, I send it back for wrong info. It doesn't look "black" in the pic, either... more midnight blue. Huh. Strange, but great find Todd.
Posted By: jtour Re: Anyone seen one of these steering wheels?! - 10/04/05 04:00 PM
Awwwww sweet! I would love that steering wheel! Even though it would match my tan interior. WOW!!!

If it's as black as they say it is, why would it not match? Paint the wheel cover (airbag) to match the wheel. The dash souround is black. So is the boot, etc.

I think that would look pretty cool.
Wow, that is pretty sweet looking! For the price it might be worth trying out. It's hard to tell for sure if it's black or midnight blue, but personally I think it looks a bit closer to black. I have a tan interior, but with all of the black trim in there it might actually look pretty decent. My stock wheel has some noticible wear on the top and every time I drive more of the covering wears off on my hand so it's kinda gross sometimes. Does anybody know where to get a black airbag/horn cover for it? I checked eBay, but no luck....
To our knowledge, black never existed...you'll probably have to paint it or dye it.
Props to those that have swapped interiors but not me. It's all down hill after doing the dash. We put the dash in Eurotours car because of his craptacular dash warp. I also would never swap interiors due to losing my SE seats. That wheel is black and must be left overs from the ST200. It's not a Focus wheel!
Originally posted by STRYPED BS:
: It doesn't look "black" in the pic, either... more midnight blue. Huh. Strange, but great find Todd.

You are indeed color blind. That wheel is as black as the ace of spades.

Also as I mentioned the air bag cover will have to be dyed AS I PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED. No black interior was produced.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Anyone seen one of these steering wheels?! - 10/04/05 08:17 PM
What about the cruise control????????
Originally posted by Stazi:
What about the cruise control????????

Glad someone else caught that. And on my monitor, it almost looks to be more of a grey, ALMOST midnight blue. I'd be willing to be it's really black, as seeing a steering wheel alone is a lot easier to judge the color as opposed to the midnight blue inside of the Contours.

Mark
I'm willing to bet that the steering wheel is for a Mercury Mystique and that it is indeed black.

However to confirm all of this I just emailed the seller and asked for the factory Ford part number for it. So we can end all of this confusion.

Plus if you look at the curvature of the ST200 wheel in the picture and compare it to the one being sold you can tell they are nowhere near the same. That ST200 airbag would not fit on that wheel correctly.

I'll post the sellers response when I get it.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: Anyone seen one of these steering wheels?! - 10/05/05 03:55 AM
color mixing would not look bad imo. Unless, perhaps, if we're talking blue leather/black leather But I think gray or tan leather would work just fine?

I likes. The steering wheel is one of the only things that is getting dirty constantly and to the point that it is wearing the color away, or staining. (on the dash-side so to speak)
I beleive thats off a Cougar not an SVT
Posted By: Knip Re: Anyone seen one of these steering wheels?! - 10/07/05 12:52 AM
You could also get a Wheelskin ...but they are like $45. Bought one a couple years ago. Very good quality.
So did anyone get a pn#?
Alright, I'm bringing this thread back because I think I finally decided I'm going ahead with this. A new wheel from the stealership is $292.68 or $217.76 from Team Ford and finding a used MB wheel without major wear for sale is near impossible.

Can anyone recommend a reputable leather dye in Midnight Blue?

I checked the company that dion used for his interior, but they don't offer MB, just some different blues.
bumpage....

Anyone? I know you guys know.
What about a new pic on this? The old one from the start of the thread is LONG gone. I'd like to know what this wheel looks like.
Sorry about that.

You could just put on a Wheelskins for $35...
Originally posted by Matt R:

Sorry, I don't want to do that. As nicely fit as they are, anything over the steering wheel looks cheap IMO.
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by Matt R:

Sorry, I don't want to do that. As nicely fit as they are, anything over the steering wheel looks cheap IMO.

+2...cheap
I've seen some that look nice. Keep in mind that the SVT wheel is already wrapped in leather.. so the wheelskins replace it. Doesn't look like some shoddy pep boys wrap fix.
Originally posted by morbid:
I've seen some that look nice. Keep in mind that the SVT wheel is already wrapped in leather.. so the wheelskins replace it. Doesn't look like some shoddy pep boys wrap fix.

It doesn't replace it. It just wraps over it.
Originally posted by 96BlackSE:

Agreed

Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by morbid:

It doesn't replace it. It just wraps over it.

I've seen them done both ways. I'd want the old rotten stuff out of there... and just measure the wheel w/o the old stuff.
Originally posted by Nezerconezer:
Originally posted by 96BlackSE:

Agreed

So I guess the question is does the cougar steering wheel fit on the Contiques?
Originally posted by CSVT#49:
So I guess the question is does the cougar steering wheel fit on the Contiques?

Yes, 99-00 wheel is a direct swap. Just move the airbag, and cruise control.

The 01-02 would need a complete wheel assembly to swap, and since it's from a Cougar, it has a huge Cougar logo on the airbag cover. The Contique cover won't fit the 01-02.
© CEG Archives