Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 94ex 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/02/05 04:54 PM
In today's ad's Checker has a set of silverstar's for $20 off with coupon, and I'm gonna put brights in my lows. Question is what do you shave down, I looked at the tabs on the outside and all of them seem equal, but I noticed on the inside(on the main circle part) there are little mounds, are these what I am supposed to shave down. I can provide pics if this isn't making sense. Thanks.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/02/05 05:05 PM
ill shed some light on this subject silverstars

ps...sorry for the lame joke lol
Posted By: GetBooby151�© Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/02/05 05:19 PM
yes those mounds are what you need to trim off. on the inside of the bulb housing.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/02/05 05:53 PM

What cool guy took that picture???
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/02/05 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Bk4293L:

Not you. The username in the picture don't match yours.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/02/05 06:02 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Damn, He's right!!!
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/03/05 11:21 PM
SEARCH
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/03/05 11:22 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Damn, He's right!!!

Posted By: MattB Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/04/05 02:40 AM
I did this 3 days ago, it is a huge improvement. Just have to shave down the 2 plastic strips on the inside where you plug the bulb socket in. Took a little bit with razor but it works...now if only i could get them aimed properly...

Good luck
Matt
Posted By: MazTour Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 10/05/05 02:25 PM
Yeah it's a real easy mod,I did it last month and love it. I have a full set of Silverstar high beams,with Silverstar turn signals and a Hella xenon fogs. All I can say is that at night,it's BRIGHT! My lights are aimed fairly well,and I'd say each night,only 1 to 3 cars might flash their brights at me as they're coming towards me,but then I hit my highbeams and they're like " "aaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!" " while I'm like " ".

I know,I'm a jerk.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/20/06 04:43 AM
ok...i know im bringing up this old post, but i didnt want to start a new thread for a simple short question....

can the highs in the lows mod be done with regular light bulbs?! im only asking this because i had some old stock bulbs laying around, and before i put the new HL's in, i figured id play around with the old ones. i shaved down the tabs, but the low beam bulb would not fit in the high beam socket.

am i missing somthing or is this just a mod for silverstars?
Posted By: Tourige Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/20/06 05:45 AM
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:
ok...i know im bringing up this old post, but i didnt want to start a new thread for a simple short question....

can the highs in the lows mod be done with regular light bulbs?! im only asking this because i had some old stock bulbs laying around, and before i put the new HL's in, i figured id play around with the old ones. i shaved down the tabs, but the low beam bulb would not fit in the high beam socket.

am i missing somthing or is this just a mod for silverstars?

It can be done, it will be brighter than the stock lows, but not as bright as Silverstars.
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/20/06 01:14 PM
Like Tourige said , it can be done with no issues . If you already have the "highs" in hand , trim 'em up & throw 'em in ! You'll like the difference .

Remember - DON'T touch the glass !! Wrap it up in a kleenex while you trim out the plug's tab (kleenex WITHOUT aloe , BTW ) .
Posted By: hotblack98 Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/20/06 02:17 PM
I did this mod alittle diffrent I got a set of plugs for the high beams from the junk yard. Then I cut and solder them in place of the low beam plugs.
Posted By: Tourige Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/20/06 04:18 PM
Originally posted by hotblack98:
I did this mod alittle diffrent I got a set of plugs for the high beams from the junk yard. Then I cut and solder them in place of the low beam plugs.

Thats a lot more work than breaking the tab..
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/21/06 12:00 AM
oh yeah i know all of that...i did shave the little tabs inside the light socked...but the problem i am having is that the diameter of the low beam does not fit in the high beam socket....im talking about the circular part on the headlight itself...what gives?!

are silverstars a smaller diameter than stock headlights?...they shouldnt be?! or am i doing something wrong
Posted By: DyComet Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/21/06 02:06 AM
I just put my 9005 silverstars in my new headlights today. They are not an exact fit you have to wiggle them around a little bit until they get in there. Just give them a few wiggles until it falls in. Btw it looks great!
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/21/06 03:19 AM
Yeah, you have to cut a tiny bit off the ring tabs too. I used a dremel with the little round spinny thing to cut down the inner tabs. All the time when I was installing everything, I wore nitrile gloves.
Posted By: Rayn Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 01/22/06 06:06 AM
I just did the mod 5min after reading this.. It works well! Make sure that you get the entire nob off or it will not lock in on the electrical socket. I think if you have aftermarket headlights the fit is not as smooth as the OEM's (in regards to the threading). I have one Ford and one aftermarket and the aftermarket gives me hell to twist the bulbs in while the Ford one just turns right in. Maybe that's your problem...

PS
I found the razor to be too tedious so I heated up a flat head screwdriver and carefully melted the nob off. It was very effective!
Posted By: m4gician Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 06/18/06 03:50 AM
uh... the plastic lenses on the outside (which I slaved SO hard to clean with Wetsand, wax, polish, and plastix) get really REALLY hot when my Lows are on using this mod. Wow I had them going for about 10 minutes and I swear I was ready to crack an egg on em and start cooking me some early breakfast wow they get hot. Will that affect anything seriously to all of you who use 9005s in 9006 fittings?
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 06/18/06 03:57 AM
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:
oh yeah i know all of that...i did shave the little tabs inside the light socked...but the problem i am having is that the diameter of the low beam does not fit in the high beam socket....im talking about the circular part on the headlight itself...what gives?!

are silverstars a smaller diameter than stock headlights?...they shouldnt be?! or am i doing something wrong

I know this is old and you probably figured it out by now, but this mod is to put the High beam bulbs in the low beam socket. Sounds like you were going in reverse
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: 9005 in 9006 what to trim - 06/26/06 01:54 AM
I actually just did this mod and I'm going to stick with the low beams in the low beam socket. Shaving off the tab is no issue, but the circumference of the gasket part of the high beam bulb is smaller than the low beam bulb. It will work but the fit is not very good, the bulb has a tendency to go in crooked and screw up the direction of the beam of light coming out of the headlight. I don't know if I just didn't give it enough time but it just doesn't seem like the fit would be reliable for keeping out moisture, or for keeping the bulb perfectly straight in the socket.
© CEG Archives