Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TronX Cleaning Car: Getto Style - 04/27/05 09:52 PM
Tip #1 Electric Powered Leaf Blower & Spot Free Dry.

I was cleaning the roof of my house with an Electric Powered Leaf Blower. After getting junk all over my car the idea came to me. So I washed the car as normal and at the very end I turned on the leaf blower for a spot free dry!

The guy next door was looking at me funny like I'd lost my mind. But how many times have you washed your car only to have water spots? How many times have you used the wrong soap in a Mr.Clean Spot free spayer only to end up with a sticky mess on your hands? Well, then what you need is a handy-dandy Electric Powered Leaf Blower!

-Jared (TronX)
Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Getto Style - 04/27/05 09:54 PM
I own a Toro 215 Mph Electric Blower 51591 from Lowes. The same could be had for around 59$ at Sears. It really does not matter what you get so long as it has power and is light enough to pickup.
Posted By: DDV Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/27/05 09:58 PM
Yup; one of my brother's neighbors details cars at his home and that's what he uses for a spot-free wash and dry. (They live in Arizona.) If you go to the commercial car washes down there, they use pressurized air to blow off the excess water as a final detail.

Maybe the leaf blower isn't as elegant, but it does the job!
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/27/05 10:03 PM
A gas one would work best, more power.
Originally posted by mystique97:

this was discussed somewhere awhile ago, it was conculded that the gas blower would leave gasoline residue all over the car.
Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/27/05 10:19 PM

LOL.. More power is good.
Posted By: SVTDarin Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/27/05 10:24 PM
More powerful than most gas blowers. 51591 and 51598 both under $100.00 I use my 51591 every time I wash one of our cars, but just to get the water out of the nooks and crannys.

Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/27/05 10:27 PM
Originally posted by dsickles123456789:

this was discussed somewhere awhile ago, it was conculded that the gas blower would leave gasoline residue all over the car.

Doh! Gas on Paint would be bad.

The Toro Electric blower I have now has about as much power as my brothers gas Troy-Built. The Gas blower would have more weight making it a pain to blow the top. Also the Electric could have its issues if you use a cheap power cord and run it into water. BOOM! LOL! J/K
Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/27/05 10:35 PM
Originally posted by SVTDarin:
More powerful than most gas blowers. 51591 and 51598 both under $100.00 I use my 51591 every time I wash one of our cars, but just to get the water out of the nooks and crannys.

That's the one! It's a good blower, but it sucks as a sucker. I tried sucking leaves and it was a joke. For the money it works as a good blower. I only wish it had a low speed for going around flowers without the hurricane force speeds.

Now that I've used it on the car I'm hooked!
Posted By: TGO Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/27/05 11:01 PM
i've used a leaf blower to blow out the interior of my car before, never to dry the outside though.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/27/05 11:40 PM
NEver thought about the "leaf blower" dryer. However, thats basically what a no touch dryer is...

I use my compressor with a blow out nozzle to get the water off.. works awesome, especailly on the interior.
Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 01:03 AM
Originally posted by LilStripedRocket:
NEver thought about the "leaf blower" dryer. However, thats basically what a no touch dryer is...

I use my compressor with a blow out nozzle to get the water off.. works awesome, especailly on the interior.

We have an air compressor at my work. I use it to pump my tires and clean out computer dust. Hmmm.. leaf blower on my computer sounds like a bad idea. Maybe I could overclock more? Or even better, use the Leaf Blower as a Getto Car Turbo?
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 02:35 AM
Originally posted by TronX:

We have an air compressor at my work. I use it to pump my tires and clean out computer dust. Hmmm.. leaf blower on my computer sounds like a bad idea. Maybe I could overclock more? Or even better, use the Leaf Blower as a Getto Car Turbo?

Hey, they sell things like that on Ebay.. It HAS to work, right?
Posted By: Frosty Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 02:38 AM

Lol
Posted By: snakous Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 02:46 AM

of course it will.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 01:21 PM
I used an electric leaf blower in the snow to clean off my tour no really I did. it was stupid idea because the cord was sitting in the snow and water + electric = cripsy CEGer. but it did work! hahaah
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 02:17 PM
What happened to a good old fasion hand dry? I don't use any automatic washes, nor would I use a leaf blower. Too much sand and dirt particles that can be blown off the ground and onto the paint. Unless you like fine scratches that you get to buff out every month.

Mark
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 03:29 PM
I always hand dry using terry clothes. I use the air to spray the water out of the wipe rcowl, the wheel wells, creveces, etc. It's rewarding to hand dry the car.
Posted By: caltour Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 03:37 PM
Y2KSVT is right. After you wash your car, blot it dry with an all-cotton towel (don't drag the towel across the paint) and then gently dry off the remaining water with a microfiber towel.

No matter how careful you are with the blower, it's gonna stir up dust and grit from the ground.
Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 04:24 PM
Originally posted by caltour:
Y2KSVT is right. After you wash your car, blot it dry with an all-cotton towel (don't drag the towel across the paint) and then gently dry off the remaining water with a microfiber towel.

No matter how careful you are with the blower, it's gonna stir up dust and grit from the ground.

If you want to do it the hard & sure way that is cool. I didn't run into any grit problems in my driveway. Then again I can see how this might not be for everyone.

I'd think if anything this would speed things up pushing water out of those small tight places on top. After that you can come back with towels and pamper it dry.

Now I just need a faster way of waxing.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 05:36 PM

A true "car guy" doesn't worry about how long it takes to wax a vehicle. It's all about making things perfect .

Mark
Posted By: Antonio Wright_dup1 Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 05:42 PM

Please only speak on matters in which you know something about. Only, a idiot would use a leaf blower if they knew dirt and other lose objects were on the ground. Explain, to me how it is no different then you washing and drying your car in windy conditions?

At the detail shop we use blowers to remove water from the cracks and crevices of cars. You can best believe it saves a lot of time.

I would love to use one at home but they make way too much noise.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Antonio Wright:
Only, a idiot would use a leaf blower if they knew dirt and other lose objects were on the ground.

It's inevitable, there's almost always small grit/sand/dirt particles that can be thrown up onto the paint.

Explain, to me how it is no different then you washing and drying your car in windy conditions?

I personally hate washing my car in windy conditions for that reason alone. If I do, I'm sure to have a wall blocking the wind.

Mark
Posted By: caltour Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 10:07 PM
Please only speak on matters in which you know something about.

A warm and hearty greeting to you, too.

Only, a idiot would use a leaf blower if they knew dirt and other lose objects were on the ground.

Antonio, there is ALWAYS dust and grit on the ground. No matter where you wash your car, (concrete driveway, asphalt parking area, you name it,) the ground is covered with grit. Go get a piece of clear packing tape, and stick it on your driveway for a second. Then hold it up to the light and look at it. Then tell me there's no dust or grit.

Explain, to me how it is no different then you washing and drying your car in windy conditions?

I don't wash my car in windy conditions.

At the detail shop we use blowers to remove water from the cracks and crevices of cars.

I know, professional detailers do this all the time. That's one reason I don't take my car to detailers. Another reason is that I often see pro detailers wiping a towel around the wheelwells or near the bottom edge of the body and then continue on drying the car with all the grit they just picked up. I have also seen them letting their towels drag on the ground when they are drying the wheels and the bottom edge of the car.

You can best believe it saves a lot of time.

Ah, there's the real reason for using blowers. To a detailer, time is money. Swirl marks and hairline scratches are just not as important as money.

Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 10:14 PM
Well said Caltour. I wasn't going to go down that road of "detailers do this and that", but now that you mention it . And that's not to say ALL detailers have the same practices. I'm not a professional detailer by trade, but I'm pretty anal when it comes to the paint on my car. Just because detailing cars is someone's occupation, doesn't make them an expert.

Mark
Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 10:50 PM
Lord C'mon Guys.. Don't knock it until you try it first. There was ZERO grit or dirt on my car before or after. There is only so much you can do with a blower, the rest is done with towels.

Let us think this out first.

I am almost sure the single best way to kill a paint finish is to never wash your car period.

You can put swirl mark into the finish if you don't change wash rags and use the wrong soaps.

When I used the blower it was at a down angle from the top. I then moved my way around the car doing the windows. And finished with the hood and trunk. The bottom was done with towels to avoid kicking dirt. Not that this was a problem after having just used it to clean the yard and roof hours before.

For those willing to try, give me your feed back. For everone else, we heard your side already, get over it.

Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/28/05 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

A true "car guy" doesn't worry about how long it takes to wax a vehicle. It's all about making things perfect .

Mark

A TRUE car guy would have a car worth his time. We are talking about a Mercury Mistake 98 2.0 Zetec 4 banger here that gets food from the store and movies on weekends..HAH!

I'd like to wax my car every 6 months, but the thought of spending ALL DAY is just not an option for me with 4 little kids running around..LOL.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 12:23 AM
ONCE AGAIN.. I don't care if it was onlt $50 to buy the freakin' car.. its still a car, and people with the mentality like the one posted above is a good portion of why we have "beaters" and nobody parks next to them, etc.

TAKE CARE OF ANY car.. who cares what it "is" or how old..

My car is pushing 7.. does that mean I am not a "true car guy"?

I wax my car once a week, regardless.. rain or shine.

wash it at least three times a week, and EVERY DAY I use detailers spray, and go over the entire car.. (including ALL door edges (open the door, and look at the painted locations on the inside edge).. EVERYWHERE there is paint, I wax... and detail once a day.

I don't get some peoples philosophy of "it's only money" or "its old, who cares..."

HOW do you think your beater GOT to be crappy looking? by not taking care of it when it was NEW...

Ray
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: Cleaning Car: Getto Style - 04/29/05 01:32 AM
Either that is Ghetto or redneck!!! sounds like something we would do up here, where we all rednecks and do stipid tings like this but i like this one. that is sweet!!! just gotta get me a leaf blower now.
Posted By: latenightflyby Re: Cleaning Car: Getto Style - 04/29/05 02:51 AM
I use my leaf blower to clean off my truck but its almost 15 years old and goes off-road so who cares, however, it still leaves no scratches In the end it all comes down to its your car so do what YOU want as for me i'll continue to use my leaf blower to blow grass of clients sidewalks to dry my car and to fan bonfires with extra air.
Posted By: Antonio Wright_dup1 Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 03:17 AM
Please only speak on matters in which you know something about.

A warm and hearty greeting to you, too.

Antonio, there is ALWAYS dust and grit on the ground. No matter where you wash your car, (concrete driveway, asphalt parking area, you name it,) the ground is covered with grit. Go get a piece of clear packing tape, and stick it on your driveway for a second. Then hold it up to the light and look at it. Then tell me there's no dust or grit.

I don't wash my car in windy conditions.

At the detail shop we use blowers to remove water from the cracks and crevices of cars.

I know, professional detailers do this all the time. That's one reason I don't take my car to detailers. Another reason is that I often see pro detailers wiping a towel around the wheelwells or near the bottom edge of the body and then continue on drying the car with all the grit they just picked up. I have also seen them letting their towels drag on the ground when they are drying the wheels and the bottom edge of the car.

You can best believe it saves a lot of time.

Ah, there's the real reason for using blowers. To a detailer, time is money. Swirl marks and hairline scratches are just not as important as money.

I can see where you are coming from. I can tell yuou from experience that they are a safe to use if the operator uses them correctly.

Oh and by the way, I will compare my cars finish against yours anyday.
Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 03:44 AM
I'd like to be the first to say WTF is your problem? Your mentality is the one in question here tonight. We are talking about drying a car with a leaf blower and you are going off the deep end. My 98 car looks nice for its age, almost brand new after a wax. If I didn't think this was a fun and cool thing worth trying I would not post this information. If you have nothing else to add then please step down from the soap box.

Originally posted by Ray:
ONCE AGAIN.. I don't care if it was onlt $50 to buy the freakin' car.. its still a car, and people with the mentality like the one posted above is a good portion of why we have "beaters" and nobody parks next to them, etc.

TAKE CARE OF ANY car.. who cares what it "is" or how old..

My car is pushing 7.. does that mean I am not a "true car guy"?

I wax my car once a week, regardless.. rain or shine.

wash it at least three times a week, and EVERY DAY I use detailers spray, and go over the entire car.. (including ALL door edges (open the door, and look at the painted locations on the inside edge).. EVERYWHERE there is paint, I wax... and detail once a day.

I don't get some peoples philosophy of "it's only money" or "its old, who cares..."

HOW do you think your beater GOT to be crappy looking? by not taking care of it when it was NEW...

Ray

Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Getto Style - 04/29/05 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Teenage Contour:
Either that is Ghetto or redneck!!! sounds like something we would do up here, where we all rednecks and do stipid tings like this but i like this one. that is sweet!!! just gotta get me a leaf blower now.

Well, I live in Florida so it could be either one.
Posted By: SAV Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 03:53 AM
My 98 car looks nice for its age, almost brand new after a wax.

You don't know brand new until you see Ray's comprehensive list of car care practice. It's why his car has such a deep gloss, it positively looks chromed instead of just "clean black".

I'd say that's damn [censored]'n good for a car pushing 7 years old. I wouldn't call it an obsession, but his attention to detail is why his car looks like it rolled off the assembly line as opposed to simply looking clean after the usual 6 month wax checkup.

If you want to dry your car with a leaf blower, that's fine. In my case, I just drive the car up and down the block and then dry off what's left if I'm in a rush. And I don't ever plan to be in a rush when I'm washing and waxing my car. The last time I waxed my car (last week or so), the process started Friday morning and finished Saturday afternoon. I'm still not fully satisfied since I only got two coats in and noticed swirlmarks under the lights later that night.

Personally, though, I don't see what the problem is here. Everybody has their own way of making sure things are clean. If they bother, that is.

-SAV
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 04:00 AM
Thanks, SAV..
(I give you yer dollar tomorrow..)
I am glad that SOMEONE notices, though...The wife says I wax my car more than her A$$... We won't go in to detail on what happens next.. LOL

We can, unfortunately, agree to disagree(I guess). I like to take care of my car, much more thoroughly and more often than you like to do on your car. Each of us for different reasons, and that is understandable. Whatever works for you, my friend.

Ray
Posted By: Tisby Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 05:23 AM
I wax my car once a week...wash it at least three times a week, and EVERY DAY I use detailers spray...and detail once a day.

1) Holy Crap, I worship the respect you have for your car.
2) I wish I had that much time to spend on the car.
3) Umm... guys, the title of this thread has the word "ghetto" in it... Therefore, not serious - SO CALM DOWN!!!
Posted By: SAV Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 05:35 AM
Thanks, SAV..
(I give you yer dollar tomorrow..)

I won't take anything less than $5. I'll settle for a picture of the wife if I must.

-SAV
Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 07:48 PM

A TRUE car guy would have a car worth his time. We are talking about a Mercury Mistake 98 2.0 Zetec 4 banger here that gets food from the store and movies on weekends..HAH!

I'd like to wax my car every 6 months, but the thought of spending ALL DAY is just not an option for me with 4 little kids running around..LOL.

Oh lord I could call you every little insult I know but the censors won't let me. Want to see what you get after washing and waxing a "mistake" take a look.

My car has not even one spot of rust on it, and it's damn near 9 years old (I'm the 2nd owner). Don't tell me thats not worth taking care of, and even the little rust on the bottom of the inside part of the doors is VERY minimal, if that, a TRUE car guy will spend hours and hours working on/cleaning his car making it shine to perfection like mine is in the pictures. Longest it took me to clean my car was almost 6 hours.
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 07:50 PM
*sheen.. sparkle sparkle*
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 08:26 PM
Little off topic but I think this thread has gone downhill in a rocketship fast enough so I will ask.
Originally posted by SAV:

You don't know brand new until you see Ray's comprehensive list of car care practice.

I for one would really like to know what rays routine for waxing is i.e what products, in which order, how many coats etc.

When I wax I use aprox 3-4 diffent kinds of waxes, glaze,polish, color brightener etc. and while it looks amazing when Im done Im not sure if I'm doing the order right. I have read somethings will remove all the wax/polish etc. that you have put on. Which is why I dont want to do the wrong order and be waisting my time and effort.

So Ray, please enlighten me on which products you use and what order etc.

Thanks
Posted By: TronX Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 08:27 PM

Oh lord I could call you every little insult I know but the censors won't let me. Want to see what you get after washing and waxing a "mistake" take a look.

My car has not even one spot of rust on it, and it's damn near 9 years old (I'm the 2nd owner). Don't tell me thats not worth taking care of, and even the little rust on the bottom of the inside part of the doors is VERY minimal, if that, a TRUE car guy will spend hours and hours working on/cleaning his car making it shine to perfection like mine is in the pictures. Longest it took me to clean my car was almost 6 hours.

Looks good man.. A good wax job never hurts. I've only got one spot that I almost buffed out because a bird pooped on the bumper and the FLorida sun baked it into the paint. Once I polish and wax you can't see any of that. Probably the one thing that made my car look better over the many years was sanding the headlights.

I like your blue color better than mine.

Posted By: Mystique97 Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 08:31 PM

I like your blue color better than mine.

That color is actually called, Pacific Green/Teal Mist, I guess its 2 colors Ford and Mazda used mixed together (or they call it those 2 different names) cuz there is a Ford version of the color, I got the Mazda color.
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 04/29/05 08:40 PM
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:

So Ray, please enlighten me on which products you use and what order etc.

yes yes...enlighten ALL of us!
Posted By: mygameisplatnum Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 05/02/05 01:06 AM
Originally posted by mygameisplatnum:
quote=SAV]

You don't know brand new until you see Ray's comprehensive list of car care practice.

Ray, I would really like to know what your routine for waxing is i.e what products, in which order, how many coats etc.

When I wax I use aprox 3-4 diffent kinds of waxes, glaze,polish, color brightener etc. and while it looks amazing when Im done Im not sure if I'm doing the order right. I have read somethings will remove all the wax/polish etc. that you have put on. Which is why I dont want to do the wrong order and be waisting my time and effort.

So Ray, can you enlighten me on which products you use and what order etc.

Thanks

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 05/02/05 03:49 AM
Okay... a write up.

By today's standards, the multi-layered finish on your car is only .004 to .006 inches thick (primer all the way to clearcoat) This finish will deteriorate and dull over time.

Choosing a wax:
Carnauba based waxes add an element of depth and warmth.
Synthetic polymer sealants containing silicon add brilliance and sparkle.

CARNAUBA PROS:
Carnuba waxes tend to produce a deeper, darker, richer shine that is often described as "three-dimensional" Many show-car owners prefer the shine of carnauba waxes, especially on black, red, or other dark colors. They bead water nicely, absorb acid from rain, and hid minor swirls in the paint.

CARNAUBA CONS:
Not as durable as synthetic waxes(actually a sealant) Depending on climate, they can last up to 2 months. Some carnauba waxes can be much more difficult to apply or remove than polymers. They can also streak under certain temperature or humidity conditions... haha.. a temperamental liquid!
CARNAUBA SELECTION
Meguiars No.26 Pure Wax
One Grand Blitz Wax
P21S Paste Car Wax
and Pinnacle Paste Glaz
Pinnacle Souveran is a true show-car wax.

SYNTHETIC SEALENTS:
PROS: Made from acrylic resins, sealents offer excellent durability and ease of application. Quality sealants can last six to nine months or longer and typically wipe on and off very easily. Sealants create a very bright shine and are resistant to clouding and streaking.

SYNTHETIC CONS:
Many enthusiasts feel that sealants lack depth and richness. Black cars can look a little sterile or silvery in the direct sunlight. And, mirror-like polymers can collect minor swirls and highlight paint flaws.

Synthetic Selection:
Blackfire*
Klasse*
Autoglym*
Meguiars No.20 Poly Sealant and Zaino.

* A multi-part product. 1st being cleaner/polish and base sealant. 2nd being a top coat sealant that is layerable to produce more depth and shine. Meguiars is unique in that it combines polymers and waxes. Zaino and Blackfire compete head-to-head as the best "car-show polish" systems. Zaino is different from its competitors in that it doesn't make an abrasive polish or cleaner to prepare the paint for sealant. This must be done with another detergent concentrate, or paint cleaning clay. (clay bar)

Now.. on to Applying the wax.
1. Work in shaded area out of direct sunlight.
2. Use a foam applicator pad to apply your wax. When the pad becomes caked with wax, switch to a fresh pad
3. Work on one area at a time covering two to four square feet. Some products may allow you to coat the entire car before buffing off, but most do not.
4. Follow the wax manufacturer's instructions whether or not to allow the wax to dry (haze) before buffing.
5. Use a small amount of wax at a time and rub it in well. If you use too much wax, you're wasting the product and your time.
6. If wax residue does not buff off easily, switch to a clean wipe towel (100% terry cloth, or microfiber)
7. Apply your wax in a back and forth motion, not in circles. IF you are creating swirls, you need to replace your applicator, or buffing towels.

The car should feel slick and smooth; free of streaks and smudges.

If you work tirelessly and you still have streaks and areas that don't want to buff out perfectly: park your car in the sun for 10-15 minutes. Let it get warm, but not hot, then take it back in the garage(shade). Next, use a good spray bottle and DISTILLED WATER (not tap/hose water), spritz the area and buff with a clean terry towel. The warmth of the sun softens the wax and allows it buff out to a clear, high gloss. If you don't have distilled water, use a detailing spray, such as Meguiars Final Inspection, or Eimann Fabrik Clear Pearl. If you are using a more "enthusiast" product such as Zaino, or Blackfire, use the detailing spray that was formulated for that product.

SHOW CAR TRICKS:
When preparing a SHOW CAR shine, I often layer a Carnauba wax on top of synthetic wax. The synthetic acts as a gloss layer, and the carnauba adds depth and a wet looking appearance. One combination that works well is an initial coating of Klasse All-in-one followed by one or more coats of Pinnacle Paste Glaz or Souveran wax. The latter two waxes are super-rich and can be layered (like a polymer) without yellowing effects.

Start with a cream wax. Most are designed to go on and buff off easily.

Apply and buff the first coat of wax, as normal, and allow it to cure for 12-48 hours. Follow with a second coat. Note that the first coat of wax must have time to cure. If the wax does not cure(harden), the second coat will not improve your car's appearance OR protection. Properly applied, you will see a noticeable improvement in depth, richness of color, and gloss with the second coat. Additional layers are subjective to most people, though concours winners use many layers to produce the desired depth.

Most people think that polishing and waxing are synonymous. The fact is, however, that they are totally different. Polishing is what is done to the paint surface BEFORE waxing is performed. If the paint surface is dirty, rough, or contaminated, then the wax/sealents will only provide a temporary gloss to a dull paint. IF you would like to make a lasting shine, you have to have something decent to work with. Polishing lotions, and liquids contain cleaners to strip acid, dirt, and oxidation from the surface of the paint. The line is somewhat blurry between "polish" liquids, and "wax" liquids, however, as both have manufacturers who have added SOME key actions from both sides of the fence. (A wax that slightly polishes, or a polish that slighty waxes, etc)

Use a good polishing lotion, or clay bar before waxing, and the clean paint should feel like silk (with NO wax on the car)

Good luck in your future efforts.. and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Ray
Posted By: docjames Re: Cleaning Car: Ghetto Style - 05/02/05 06:22 PM
This would be useful in the how-to's.

© CEG Archives