Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/28/04 03:19 PM
When I purchased my car, there was a dealer installed Contour spoiler and I was wondering if anybody knew how to take out the current brake light under the rear window out. I have gotten to the point where is was just the plastic housing, but I couldn't figure out how to get that off without using the good ol fashoned way of a big hammer. Are there screws holding it down because I can't see them. Any suggestions would be nice and pictures would be even better. Thanks
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/29/04 03:43 AM
Read the owners manual, the section on how to change the 3rd brake light bulb. IIRC, there is clips holding it in. Def read the manual, i know it is there. The whole housing comes out, only the wire clip will be left.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/29/04 04:17 AM
There are screws that come up from under the package tray.

You do know that removing it completely will leave a black loop on the glass. There is also the possible chance of color fade on the package tray where the assembly was. Just disable it and call it good.
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/29/04 05:45 PM
why, all it does is vibrate against the glass at certain frequencies and annoy people. i cant wait to lose my third brake light!
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/30/04 04:10 AM
Just leave it there, unplug it from inside the trunk and tint your windows
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/30/04 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Bk4293:

holla
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/30/04 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
Originally posted by Bk4293:

holla

maybe he wants to take it out cause it's rattling due to audio equipment
Posted By: ContourGuy9817 Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/31/04 02:12 AM
i got my windows tinted...but due too certain throat vibrating experiences, and i always have this annoying rattle i hear in the back of my head because of the darned thinger.
Posted By: SVTwa Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/31/04 03:10 AM
Got me interested,

mines gotta go rattles like crazy.
Posted By: lsneo Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 12/31/04 06:21 AM
yea mine too. To remove it just jump into the back seat and pull it towards you. It will come loose and disconect it from the power cable. At least thats how i did it on mine.
Posted By: SVTwa Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/21/05 03:06 AM
how clean does it look after you took it out??
Posted By: 10mmFeeder Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/21/05 03:44 AM
Originally posted by ContourGuy9817:
i got my windows tinted...but due too certain throat vibrating experiences, and i always have this annoying rattle i hear in the back of my head because of the darned thinger.

Throat vibrating??
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/21/05 03:46 AM
Originally posted by SVTwa:
how clean does it look after you took it out??

pics please
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/21/05 04:31 PM
I was thinking...

What if your put constant power to it and a "Contour" Overlay. Sorta like the "Pontiac" lit up on a sunfire rear.
Posted By: garretto Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/21/05 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
I was thinking...

What if your put constant power to it and a "Contour" Overlay. Sorta like the "Pontiac" lit up on a sunfire rear.

maybe with a resistor or something to make it a tad bit dimmer
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/22/05 02:37 AM
Originally posted by garretto:
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
I was thinking...

maybe with a resistor or something to make it a tad bit dimmer

I actually already have the "contour" overlay on it, but I wanted to take out my 3rd brake light because I would then tint that opening instead because the blacks don't match quite rite. I can see what your saying, but wouldn't my spoiler be in the way, or people mistake that you are braking? Well, maybe not if you did put in a resistor. Maybe since I want to take it out anyway, I'll experiment with that Sunfire idea. How long will all of these bulbs last though, these things aren't cheap.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/22/05 02:45 AM
Cool. I haven't seen it done yet (using resistors) so I'm eager to see it. But if not, someone else could.
I don't know how much thinkgs like that cost sorry, didn't realize they were expensive at all.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/22/05 02:52 AM
I was talking about the 10 bulbs or so that are in the brake housing
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Remove Factory 3rd Brake Light - 01/24/05 04:03 PM
Ahh, I understand now of course.
© CEG Archives