Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bluecontour Rattling - 03/29/04 05:56 PM
My trunk rattles like a b*tch and i want it to stop. i even have Noise deadener (tsunami) in there but i want to redo it. what will work the best. can i get anything from Home Depot or Lowes?
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Rattling - 03/29/04 08:06 PM
Its damn near impossible to get rid of all the rattles in a High powered System in a contour.. theres just to much plastic back there... I had 2 layers of dynomat all around my trunk and about 3 gallons of spray on noisekiller adn it still rattled like crazy
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Rattling - 03/29/04 08:42 PM
Welcome to the quality we like to call "Ford" my friend.
Posted By: hetfield_dup1 Re: Rattling - 03/29/04 09:30 PM
Yup. Best advice is to methodically pinpoint the individual rattles and attack each one appropriately. On my Sport the trunk vents (on each side of the trunk behind the carpeting) make a lot of noise, as well as the deck/3rd brake light. I'm considering closing off the vents completely and finding some foam to fill in under the deck. I'm also contemplating removing the 3rd brake light since I have the spoiler w/ light already installed.
Posted By: CJ98 Re: Rattling - 03/29/04 10:13 PM
I have two 12" Infinity Reference subs in a sealed box with an amp pushing 500 or so watts. It's capable of 700, but that requires a 14.4V battery.

I've at least managed to get rid of the rattles that I can hear when I drive. One of the things I did, after Dynomat (which I'm not sure was even necessary) was roll up some washcloths and stuff them between that panel behind the rear seats and the window. Then I took the center seatbelt cover off and lined it with mounting tape. The last thing was to put something between the box itself and the top of the trunk (the part that doesn't move) and that took care of most of the interior rattles.

Outside is a different story. I think you'd have to rebuild the whole trunklid, and then put foam between the bumpers and the rest of the bodywork.

The funny thing is that there's other stuff that's rattling way more than the liscence plate. I took it off completely and nothing changed. Maybe getting the trunk to close tighter would help a little bit.

Anyone else? Has anyone successfully eliminated rattling so that your car doesn't sound like a ghetto blaster?
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 04:05 AM
Originally posted by CJ98:
I have two 12" Infinity Reference subs in a sealed box with an amp pushing 500 or so watts. It's capable of 700, but that requires a 14.4V battery.

You realize when your cars on its 14.4 Volts right???
I hope you realize that if not then you do now!
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 05:01 AM
hahaha...not as many people are electrically inclined as we...anyways. its impossible to get rid of rattles in any car without extensive work. just do your best
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 05:40 AM
Buy a 92 SHO! i have very very very very few rattles and i have no Dynomat or anything.. you can barely tell i have a system outside.. Inside its LOUD!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Pienstars Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 07:10 AM
My first car "92 maxima" didn't have many rattles either.
Posted By: 96_Concept_GL Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 12:05 PM
92 must have been a quiet year. My '92 Colt didn't rattle but my '93 Tempo did. I can't stand outside the tour without wanting to tear it apart because of the rattle.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 03:58 PM
I remember my probe that I did competitions with before I bought the SVT. The back end shook so bad you could barely read the license plate. But I fixed all the rattling with expanding foam, foam tape, and underbody coating.
Posted By: bluecontour Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 04:17 PM
Wow i didnt think many people had the same prob that i did. i think i am going to redo the dynamat in my whole trunk and my doors and i will probabbaly spray the trunk also. hopefully this helps but i cant get to it soon i am saving up for the rest of my svt kit. what i am going to do real soon is take the whole back off behind the seats and insulate that. so it dosent rattle against my glass. i have two gloves back there and they look funny.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 05:28 PM
Originally posted by bluecontour:
Wow i didnt think many people had the same prob that i did. i think i am going to redo the dynamat in my whole trunk and my doors

do a search for sound deadening!! save your self a couple hundred bucks. Dynamat isn't worth it, there are many alternatives for a fraction of the price.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 05:56 PM
Very true unless you get it at or below cost!
Posted By: bluecontour Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 06:25 PM
Thanks for the info you guys saved me some major dollars!
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Rattling - 03/30/04 08:45 PM
Blue if you need anything done don't go to a car audio place and have it done.. or pretty much anything for that matter... Send me a SVT barge a PM we'll do it for you for atleast 25% lower than there saying they will.
Posted By: CJ98 Re: Rattling - 03/31/04 02:02 PM

You realize when your cars on its 14.4 Volts right???
I hope you realize that if not then you do now!

Not aware of that. I've always thought most cars ran on 12 and only used 14.4 if there was alot of electrical components. If that's the case, then is there a bigger battery? I appreciate the help, though.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Rattling - 03/31/04 05:05 PM
The alt. runs at aprox 14.4 volts give or take .2.. when your cars off its 12v. when its running its 14.4v
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Rattling - 03/31/04 10:18 PM
yep, anytime you charge a battery you do so at a slightly higher voltage than the voltage of the (fully charged) battery, and so everything that runs of of "a car battery" really runs of the alternator, at, as was said, around fourteen and a half volts, give or take.
© CEG Archives