Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I'm asking you audio guys though this will be more of an aesthetic thing, but have any of you guys tried to fit or retrofit rear speakers to put behind the seats that fit well and look good? I mean I was in the yard and came up upon a 95 civic with decent looking rear speakers that may even work well.

Will speakers in the rear sound worse? Which ones fit into the stock metal frame (I assume those metal circles under the carpeting) without little or any modification?

Thanks In advanced...
(while waiting for replies, i'll continue my extensive search for that answer or similar).
I am almost 100% sure there is only one circular hole in the rear deck. Many have put a free air sub in that location.
Some people will not even run rear door speakers because they want the sound stage to be coming all from in front of them. I have tried it both ways and not running the rears still gave a great sound but didn't have the loudness I had from all the speakers running ( which make sense two less speakers = not as loud)

as for adding speakers to the rear deck I say go for it if you want, it will help the sound when you have all windows open because the sound will bounce off the rear window, while the door speakers may become over powered by the wind noise from the open window.
There was a night and day difference when I added my component set up from and got the tweeters in front and above the window.

Hope this helped a little...
You mean like this?

I went with the TangBand 6.5" sub from Parts Express... Now they have an 8" version of the same sub...

I wish I would have waited for the 8" but the 6.5" definitely puts out a lot more bass than you would expect... I had a friend of mine get in the car and he asked if I had a system in it, I told him to look behind his head, he was laughing till he heard it...
Upside down mounted amp?
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Upside down mounted amp?

I know, not a good idea... But its been like that for over a year now and that amp doesn't get anything more than warm... Also the amp cost me $20 from a friend, so im not too worried about it...
Upside down mounted amp?

I've had my amp mounted upside down for like 3 years now. Not a single problem.
Originally posted by SVTique:
Upside down mounted amp?

I've had my amp mounted upside down for like 3 years now. Not a single problem.

Nice Mystique!
with a little slicing and dicing and some mouting plates you could easily fit some 6x9's back there if you were so inclined
Originally posted by JeSiZZle:
with a little slicing and dicing and some mouting plates you could easily fit some 6x9's back there if you were so inclined

That is what I did in my car

Thanks guys for the ideas, those set ups are all great, how's the sound quality, does it get any better? I've heard people on the forum say it's not great, do you find that to be true or no? Give me both the driver's and guy on the outside perspective.
Overall it did help the sound quality of the car. Those were just some extra 4 1/2 inch JBL's I had laying around, so it mainly just added to the highs. It was not too difficult to do. Just eyed it up from underneath in the trunk and copied the template. After that drilled upward to create the "pattern" on the top. Used a box cutter to cut threw the rear deck. Then aviation shears to cut threw the metal. Dropped in the speakers, hooked them up to the amp, and poof you are done. Took about an hours worth of work. If you have the speakers already and you don't want to upgrade, i say go for it. But, if you haven't already bought speakers you should invest in a good quality component speaker for the fronts and call it a day. I like it, added a little depth to the sound and it wasn't hard to do. People in the back say the highs are a little too high, but that is understandable because their heads are 5 inches away from the speakers.
I definitely think it helped out a lot in my case. The bass is much better than before...
© CEG Archives