Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Progress... - 05/03/06 10:43 AM
I have all the 1/0 guage run through the car for the battery relocation. Next week I start on the underhood distribution system, install the relays, finish the wiring, then it's time to start on the fiberglass kickpanels, tweeter mounts, and finishing the sub enclosure. So far everything assembles with a 2mm gap, which will close to nil once all the carpet gets glued on.

Basic frame for battery holder and the distribution block compartment

This is the battery I got a really good deal on, borderline free

Blocks set into place, ready for the battery

So far after a week of driving the battery is still solidly in place, she won't be moving around anytime soon

I need a bigger garage... or at least my own...
Posted By: getsum111 Re: Progress... - 05/03/06 12:52 PM
Looks good so far. Nice work!
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Progress... - 05/03/06 01:55 PM
Very clean. Does that fit with the spare tire in place?

If not, it still looks good.

Hehe, Purple Haze.
Posted By: CarpePoon_dup1 Re: Progress... - 05/03/06 02:24 PM
I think I see a big boobie and a nipple in your first pic
Posted By: MxRacer Re: Progress... - 05/03/06 03:26 PM
Originally posted by CarpePoon:
I think I see a big boobie and a nipple in your first pic

LMAO!!! BAN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Progress... - 05/03/06 09:12 PM
Nah those pics came from a magazine withno plastic cover. You should see the pictures on the far wall... I almost choked on my slurpee the first time I went in.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Progress... - 05/04/06 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Honkeytonk Monkey:
I almost choked on my slurpee the first time I went in.

Damn Monkey, you must be flexible...
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Progress... - 05/08/06 11:23 AM
The tweeters are going to get thier own pods up on the dash, aimed up and forward at a point just under the rear view mirror. Defection off the windshield forward will cause the sound to seem to emminate from a point in front of the car.

I had to change my initial kickpanel design. With the neo8 on the bottom at the angle it has to be mounted, the kicks would likely be torn off when exiting the car. By putting them up top, I wil also avoid the whole dead pedal mishap... I hope...

Here where my foot would land if I only used the left half of the pedal

and how I normally clutch

So everything is aimed at a at the center of the car between the headrests except the tweeters which will bring the stage up and forward. Can't wait to get this [censored] finished.

ass shot...
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Progress... - 05/14/06 05:28 PM
Man this stuff looks like crap when it's in progress...

1/3 complete!
Posted By: ToasterOven Re: Progress... - 05/15/06 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Honkeytonk Monkey:
Man this stuff looks like crap when it's in progress...

but it should look beautiful when done.
Posted By: Tourgasm Re: Progress... - 05/16/06 02:34 PM
you have the nicest focus I have ever seen.
Posted By: Berkel Re: Progress... - 05/22/06 04:29 AM
That focus looks familiar. Do you lurk at OT?
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Progress... - 05/22/06 07:19 PM
Well I got bored the other day so I built this in 2 hours...

Floor height when I started, finished product raised the floor 1/4"

I was running short on carpet so I spread it pretty thin

All finished, just need to fab up some grilles.
Posted By: dnewma04_dup1 Re: Progress... - 05/23/06 01:32 AM
Looks awesome luke!
Posted By: WillBob Re: Progress... - 05/24/06 06:23 PM
Barney
So I got everything in the car, all set up and being tested. The sound level difference between this enclosure and my old one is quite drastic, I had to turn it down. It's absolutely airtight, and light as a feather compared to the old one. I'm extremely happy as it all goes together with about a 1mm gap all around! I'll be pulling it all back out next week for final sanding, prep and paint. I've been trying to get this done right for 3 years now with so many setbacks and delays and it's finally coming together

I also have the mock-up done for the underhood wiring. fuse holder needs less crooked...

As always, I leave you with an ass shot...

Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Progress... - 06/01/06 04:59 PM
Looks pretty good, definitely solid. I think if you can make a trim ring for the carpet or something like that it will look really clean.
How much does it weigh??? I suppose you aren't concerned with speed though.
Posted By: Honkeytonk Monkey Re: Progress... - 06/01/06 06:57 PM
Actually I am very consious of what I'm adding for weight! I'll be adding a turbo in the next few months, water/methanol injection, new FRPP head, turbo cams, pistons, forged rods, torsen diff, stage 4 clutch, 8.5lb flywheel, and whatever else I feel like doing after I start my new job. My goal is now somewhere aroung the 350whp mark by next summer. I'll have another daily driver by then so I'll be able to give it to the shop so they can make it run properly.

I used really light materials for the install. The enclosure I can lift with my pinky, it's fiberglass and marine grade voidless plywood, the walls are hardboard with a frame made of the same plywood, and the floor is a plywood structure siliconed to the sheetmetal underneath with a hardboard top. Altogether, including the amps, wiring, battery and subwoofer and minus the weight saved by removing the spare, the setup weighs about 120lbs over stock, probably less.

The piece surrounding the battery is not carpeted yet because it's being replaced with plexiglass with a 1" wood frame. other than that and having the enclosure painted, it's all set in the rear, I just need my front midbass speakers and I can finish the front stage.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Progress... - 06/03/06 02:46 PM
Well its definitely going to look really good and very creative.

Speaking of which, I posted something in common interests with your name all over it.... right up your alley.
© CEG Archives