Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: zetec herman NY Emissions Inspection - 08/17/06 04:56 AM
Have a question for NY'ers.

Is there a certain number of drive cycles that the car needs to go through after turning off the CEL in order to pass a NY inspection? Mine came on last friday for a cylinder 4 missfire. I put in new sparkplugs and its been fine (so far). I had to code reset at autozone on tuesday. The car is due for an inspection in one to two weeks. I'm going back to school and need it to pass. I guess I'm unsure of the emissions portion of the NY inspection.
Posted By: pre98zetec Re: NY Emissions Inspection - 08/17/06 10:07 AM
unplug the battery for 10 minutes before you go take the test.

If it's acting fine now I would get it inspected ASAP to avoid problems.

They might not even do emissions, 10 years old or newer, I know my cars a 96 and they never did emissions the last time I got it inspected.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: NY Emissions Inspection - 08/17/06 11:41 PM
Originally posted by pre98zetec:
unplug the battery for 10 minutes before you go take the test.

No. Supportively speaking and not trying to step on your toes, but they will see the car hasn't cycled through completely and fail you on the spot (or just not test your car at all- but for me here it would be the first).

As far emissions goes, they will not actually test the exhaust, they will rely on readings from the PCM.

Hope this clears some things up.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: NY Emissions Inspection - 08/18/06 04:13 AM
All depends on the garage. They may see that code and realize it was something simple you took care of. I wouldn't worry.
Posted By: acammer Re: NY Emissions Inspection - 08/19/06 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
All depends on the garage. They may see that code and realize it was something simple you took care of. I wouldn't worry.

It doesn't depend on the garage. The new Computer system works completely around the garage, they can't "fake it" for you. If you reset the PCM before going, you'll fail, you have to clean a code by doing enough driving cycles. The good old days are defintely gone.
Posted By: TGO Re: NY Emissions Inspection - 08/21/06 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Pre98:

No. Supportively speaking and not trying to step on your toes, but they will see the car hasn't cycled through completely and fail you on the spot (or just not test your car at all- but for me here it would be the first).

exactly.

secondly, i don't know how long the cycle is, but when i tried to get my car inspected, i drove about 50 miles that day after clearing a code in an effort to get my inspection done before it expired, and got nowhere. I wound up having to do it again a few days later.
© CEG Archives