Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ElKy grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:08 PM
i noticed a nice little squeal from the engine compartment of my car yesterday while leaving the meet.

it only seems to happen between 2k and 3k rpm
hoping its something simple like the idler pulley or tensioner or sumptin.

it seems that everytime i take the SVT out of the garage, something else goes wrong with it!
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:16 PM
I musta cursed ya.
I was saying to Mike "damn, I'm surprised that thing runs considering how infrequently it gets driven"

uh oh, I bad gurl

Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:21 PM
funny, I think on the way home my car ran the best it has in alittle while, although I still hear something dripping onto the exhaust when I shut the car off, I hope that it is just the valve cover gasket ...
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:24 PM
Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:
funny, I think on the way home my car ran the best it has in alittle while, although I still hear something dripping onto the exhaust when I shut the car off, I hope that it is just the valve cover gasket ...

Are you sure it's not the A/C dripping? I never heard a sound from my car after shutting it off, until the A/C was fixed. Now I hear sizzling and dripping sounds when I shut off the car.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:31 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by BrApple-SeVT:

Are you sure it's not the A/C dripping? I never heard a sound from my car after shutting it off, until the A/C was fixed. Now I hear sizzling and dripping sounds when I shut off the car.

you know maybe it is, I have to run the car and see what happens if I don't use the AC, because I think most of the time that I notice this I have had the AC on

also I had a weird thing happen last night, I have water drip onto my right foot while driving a few time, but then again I have the AC on and the sunroof open so I think it was just water condensing on some AC vent line under the dash ...
Posted By: ElKy Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:39 PM
brian..i think tony is right.

kim!
i think i need to smack you!
haha
i am suprised you guys couldnt hear it while driving in front of me thru newport.
Posted By: ElKy Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:43 PM
brian...that could be condensation building up in the heater box and not draining out.
there should be a drain somehwere on the firewall to allow excess water to drain out of the heater box.
if it is clogged the water will backup in the car and drip in the floor.

had a customer at the garage last year with this problem.
she would come in every couple of weeks when the water starteddrippin on her feet.
i would put a hook made out of stiff wire into the drain and pull out insulation that mice had taken and started making nests with.
about 2 gallons of water would come rushing out tof the drain!
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:45 PM
yeah I will have to check that out, just it had never done that before when I have run the AC, like I said the only difference this time was I had the sunroof open and it got pretty hummid as we got into CT, or maybe that was the slight sunburn, either way
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 12:47 PM
I did hear it, but I didn't think much of it, so I didn't bother to question whether it was you or someone else driving near us.
Posted By: Cueball Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 01:03 PM
Mike - my SVT used to squeal sometimes in real humid weather until the belt warmed up. I think it was condensation on the belt...
Posted By: ElKy Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 01:20 PM
mine did it the whole ride home.
anytime i brought the RPM down near 2-3k
but of course when i got it in the garage i couldnt get it to do it!
but it would do it while i was sittign at lights if i revved it up.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 02:31 PM
my sunroof isnt opening all the way now, ever since i tried that thingy u guys told me about on how if u press it twice, it goes back..well it barely shut after that, there were alot of pauses in between and I was scared..
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 03:12 PM
Be careful with the double press. Mine stuck open once and it took me the better part of the evening looking at the thing to finally get it closed. The worst part was I have no idea how it resolved itself.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 03:17 PM
Originally posted by SVT:
Be careful with the double press. Mine stuck open once and it took me the better part of the evening looking at the thing to finally get it closed. The worst part was I have no idea how it resolved itself.

i was soo pissed, like this sh*t never happened before and when i did the double press, it was goin all weird on me afterwards..
Posted By: Cueball Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 03:18 PM
I thought the issue with the sunroof was to NEVER EVER do the double press, risking jamming the mechanism.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Cueball:
I thought the issue with the sunroof was to NEVER EVER do the double press, risking jamming the mechanism.

yea well i did, and now i hope it doesnt come back to bite me in the arse cause i had no idea about the double press
Posted By: ElKy Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 08:29 PM
well...after i got home today i noticed another funny noise.
the friggin tranny sounds like gooners clutch.
if i place a long prybar against the tranny and listen i can hear clicking.
awaaahhhhh

anyne wanna buy a contour?
Posted By: RespectTheContour Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 10:10 PM
how many miles you have elky?
Posted By: TGO Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 10:10 PM
don't say that mike!!!

when's the last time you changed your serp belt? could even be the WP belt squealing.
Posted By: jd2-98s Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 07/31/06 10:29 PM
Does the click go faster with a rev? Maybe flywheel teeth hitting something...

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 08/01/06 02:10 AM
Originally posted by ElKy:
well...after i got home today i noticed another funny noise.
the friggin tranny sounds like gooners clutch.
if i place a long prybar against the tranny and listen i can hear clicking.
awaaahhhhh

anyne wanna buy a contour?

if it sounded like knocking and u could feel it in ur peddle..time for a new clutch

i had the same symptoms before mine went tata
Posted By: rouar Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 08/01/06 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
if it sounded like knocking and u could feel it in ur peddle..time for a new clutch

i had the same symptoms before mine went tata

but you also ride your clutch like a mf'er!

(I shouldn't say anything .. 76K miles and my car's going in to get the clutch inspected and/or replaced Thursday while I'm in New York .. I expect the Somerville commute has something to do with it though.)
Posted By: ElKy Re: grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - 08/01/06 11:59 AM
car has 93K
clutch has about 50K (when ford replaced my motor they said the clutch was shot at 40k, but funny thing is, they would not let me see the old clutch)

i didnt notice if the clicking changed with RPM, i didnt look at it much, maybe tonight i will get my arse out in the garage and play around.
as for the serp belt, its got about 10k on it.

© CEG Archives