Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ctmystique New project car - 04/27/06 12:21 AM
Hey all, I just got ahold of a '72 datsun 510. and wanted to show it off. Now it's in pretty rough shape, but it was a pretty sweet ride at one time and hopfully it will be again. My son and I will be working on it (I'll probably be doing most of the work, Ha ha). It should be quite a learning experience for him. Well anyway I wanted to post it here in New England because I've been reading alot and everyone here seems to really care and be tight. I hope you like the pics.

Project 510

If this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: New project car - 04/27/06 01:16 AM
Very nice, I like those datsuns.

What are the plans for the engine bay?
Posted By: ctmystique Re: New project car - 04/27/06 02:35 AM
At this point we're not sure. My son has dreams of puttting in a vg30dett motor from a 300zx, but realistically it's more likely going to be something a little tamer. I suspect we'll end up putting in the L20 or L24 engine depending on what we find available.
Posted By: BloodyTomFlint Re: New project car - 04/27/06 12:09 PM
Could always go with a rotary. Or an SR20DET. I like 510s. Nice find. ARRRGH!!!
Posted By: baco99 Re: New project car - 04/28/06 01:18 AM
if you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay? feel free to PM if you want to keep it private.

i'm researching resto-cars and curious as to what market prices are for various models.
Posted By: ctmystique Re: New project car - 04/28/06 01:46 AM
This car has been in my family for the past 20 years. It was last on the road in 86. My folks had in in a shed in their yard. So I guess this is one of those rare finds. My teenage son asked what they were going to do with it. So they offered it to him if he's willing to $pend some $$ on it. We got a rough estimate for body restoration today of around 4-5k to the ready to paint primer stage. Personally I think thats a little high but I've never had anything like this done before.
Posted By: baco99 Re: New project car - 04/28/06 02:56 PM
that is high. shop it around.

$5k only if they disassemble and bead clean, starting from essentially bare metal.

Posted By: baco99 Re: New project car - 04/28/06 02:57 PM
i'm currently look at this one:

http://boston.craigslist.org/car/154681681.html

Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: New project car - 04/28/06 03:14 PM
I would definately check the car over carefully before committing to do any work to it, I would have loved to get my fathers 79 Capri RS, 4 cyl. tubro, back on the road, but there would have been way to much work to do, the car rotted alot as it sat from 90~93 to about 00 when he finally sold the car
Posted By: MAZDASPEED Re: New project car - 04/28/06 05:34 PM
Originally posted by baco99:
i'm currently look at this one:

http://boston.craigslist.org/car/154681681.html

Ohhhh...one of my favorite cars!!

It Sacrilegious, but imagine that car with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDASPEED-MIATA-MAZDA-MX5-TURBO-ENGINE-5K-MILES_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8060791271QQrdZ1
Posted By: Ex-Mean'Tour Re: New project car - 04/28/06 05:51 PM
Nice looking 510. I have always liked the look of those cars. Keep us in the loop as you restore it!

You are right, the NE group is a good one!
Posted By: baco99 Re: New project car - 04/28/06 08:38 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:
I would definately check the car over carefully before committing to do any work to it, I would have loved to get my fathers 79 Capri RS, 4 cyl. tubro, back on the road, but there would have been way to much work to do, the car rotted alot as it sat from 90~93 to about 00 when he finally sold the car

agreed. that's why i've been looking for body-on-frame cars to restore instead of unibody, like my old MGB. they're easier to disassemble/reassemble and have fewer "nooks and crannies" for rust to build up in.

i'm looking for a real basket-case that i can turn-around in 6-8 months time.

1940's- mid 50's pick-ups, coupes and convertibles. American muscle is not out of the question.

ideally i'd find a free 1946 Buick Roadmaster Slant Coupe with no rust in some old lady's garage and get a used LS1 off eBay to stick in it...

Posted By: ctmystique Re: New project car - 04/28/06 10:56 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:

Hey thanks, I completly went over the body (top & bottom)I only found I part of the floor under the drivers feet rotted and a little rot on the front subframe rails way up by where the bumper mounts. The engine is a completly different matter. I haven't even tried to turn it over.
It would be freakishly weird if it turned over and started.
If I can turn it over I may spray some starter fluid into the carb and see if it fires. The brakes and suspension will need a good amount of work.
Posted By: baco99 Re: New project car - 04/29/06 11:56 AM
put some of that mystery oil in the engine before firing it up, just in case.

there's another product too that's supposed to work well for tuck engines. PB Blaster
© CEG Archives