Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Swazo West Palm Beach, any tips? - 03/31/06 03:01 PM
Hey guys, I've got a good job offer to relocate to Florida.

I was wondering if any of you Floridians know of any good sites for rental properties for West Palm Beach (or any nice surrounding areas that you'd recommend)?

I'll highly likely be coming out in about a month to check things out

Posted By: TourDeForce Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 03/31/06 05:18 PM
I can do some scouting for you. Rent on a nice place typically runs in the $1200 range. You can get accomodations for $800 or so in a nice area with a community pool & such, but you'll settle for a Townhouse - if that's OK. I wouldn't turn my nose up at it, but some people are funny.

If you get any leads, I volunteer to snap some pictures for you & scan the neighborhood too.

My brother is also looking for a new place & we have a line on a unit in Palm Springs. Fine area, schools, park, easy access to shopping & I-95. We can use his research to your benefit.

I'll PM you & request more info so I can find a place to match your needs.

Posted By: Swazo Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/01/06 02:15 AM
PM sent

Thanks again for the help! I'm still working out the details, but I am pretty sure this job is a sure thing. I'm so sick of the bitter winter cold.... this is the move I really could use
Posted By: GilNewball Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/01/06 04:41 AM
From biter cold to searing heat/humidity that makes you go suicidal?

Rental properties? Did you have a specific type of "place" in mind? House? Condo? Apt?

And only WPB? Or would you also look at surrounding areas, like Lake Worth (where I'm at. Just a hop/skip/jump to TourDeForce), Boynton Beach, Lantana, PB Gardens, etc?
Posted By: svttour_dup1 Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/02/06 03:11 AM
Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
PM sent

Thanks again for the help! I'm still working out the details, but I am pretty sure this job is a sure thing. I'm so sick of the bitter winter cold.... this is the move I really could use

If you move here to West Palm Beach. Ill buy you dinner. Then you can turbo my car
Posted By: Swazo Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/04/06 12:46 AM
Humidity and heat is fine with me! I have grown to hate dealing with snow and nasty cold 4+ months out of the year. When I was in the Army, I was at Ft.Benning a fair amount during the summer. I think I can hack civi. life by the beach

I'll help you guys out with coming up with a turbo system, it's not as hard as most think.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/04/06 01:38 AM
I moved from northern Maine to south Florida. No ill effects here.

Despite what Gilroy suggests, I would NOT live in Lake worth. The uncertainty, questionalble reliability, & added expense of the electrical utility makes it a gamble I would not take. I used to have an appartment that was served by Lake Worth Utilities & I will never deal with them again. That was back in the early-mid 80s. I can only suppose it's gotten worse from hearing the complaints that have been making news since last hurricane season.

Not to worry, I'll do some scouting on Saturday & maybe snap some pictures. Palm Springs is pretty nice, but I'm unsure if LW Utilities serves that area...

Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/04/06 02:04 AM
liquidX might be able to help ya out. let me see if i can find his e-mail and ill shoot ya a pm with his e-mail
Posted By: GilNewball Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/04/06 03:42 AM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Palm Springs is pretty nice, but I'm unsure if LW Utilities serves that area...

If I remember correctly, Palm Springs is under FPL.

Oh, and btw, Lake Worth recently passed a resolution for its power problem. They're gonna MODIFY it. Instead of getting rid of the thing, they're gonna modify it! I'm really pissed at them.

Just wait until the hurricanes come rolling in again!
Posted By: Swazo Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/10/06 10:41 PM
Originally posted by gilroynewball:

Just wait until the hurricanes come rolling in again!

Job security for me, as long as I survive

Well I have secured a position in Florida, but I won't be coming out as soon as I had thought. I can do a lot of homework until I do.

Some questions for you all...
1) What areas have a low crime rate that's reasonably close to West Palm Beach? (Let's say within a 1/2 hour w/ traffic)

2) I'm going to rent/lease until I get a feel for the area. Are there any good sites that list condos, town houses, houses and non-complex type apartments?

3) How are the streets? Salt Lake City and the surrounding cities have tons of deep dips, pot holes, driveways, etc that make having a molded mirko a nightmare.
Also, how are the emissions testing?

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/10/06 10:57 PM
No emissions! Fl. seems to be pretty lax on all car stuff, at least further north. I ran an open true dual exhaust on a 351W in my truck for a while with no problems, even with the po po behind be. Got to be too annoying, so I slapped on some flowmaster 40s. I know of plenty of exhaust shops that will cut out cats too (cause they did for me and others), but Im not telling! They just do it, which is weird out here cause I cant get anyone to friggin' look funny at a cat unless its failing.

Roads in FL are much better than out west in general. Within cities they can get rough (like I4 in d-town Orlando), but like I said in general it should be less of a problem for your front end.

In the mean time Im going to try to steal your job. Who needs qualifications, right? I can build roof trusses, this cant be that hard
Posted By: GilNewball Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/10/06 11:52 PM
I look up to you guys. You are actually willing to be cooked alive!

Once I get the chance to leave, I'm taking it.
Posted By: csvtjohnga Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/11/06 02:21 AM
swazo did you ever get intouch with x?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/11/06 03:06 AM
Some questions for you all...
1) What areas have a low crime rate that's reasonably close to West Palm Beach? (Let's say within a 1/2 hour w/ traffic)

Palm Beach Gardens & Jupiter are GREAT for lifestyle & schools, but traffic is a [censored] in the mornings going south to West Palm. Royal Palm Beach is OK, but I'm not really that familliar with it. The whole town is relatively new. Same with Wellington, new town but more upscale, school bussing program is a nightmare for the high schoolers in that area... YUCK.

My brother just scored a very nice place in West Palm for about $1000/mo, but the schools may not be what you're lookin' for, I'll have to research that. It's off Village Boulevard where there is a huge selection of nice neighborhoods. Well policed, many gated communities. I'll get you a number if you want it.

2) I'm going to rent/lease until I get a feel for the area. Are there any good sites that list condos, town houses, houses and non-complex type apartments?

PM me with your mailing addy & I'll send you an appartment guide. You can thumb through it to get an idea of what is available. I can also guide you on the schools & give you a heads up on the more stable areas. I'll even dog-ear a few pages for ya. Once you narrow it down, I'll snap a few shots of the neighborhood/complex & e-mail them to you.

3) How are the streets? Salt Lake City and the surrounding cities have tons of deep dips, pot holes, driveways, etc that make having a molded mirko a nightmare.
Also, how are the emissions testing?

As stated, no testing. In Palm Beach County, you will find the streets to be wonderful compared to where you are now. Downtown and older areas can be a bit patchy, but nothing like pot holes everwhere. The vast majority of the surface streets have recently been built, undergone widening & re-construction, or been resurfaced - including downtown West Palm Beach. Great roads, but you have to watch for the occasional drive entry if you have a mirko.

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/11/06 05:55 AM

I left and I wanna come back!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/11/06 01:31 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:

I left and I wanna come back!

I moved here from northern Maine. If I could, I'd live here till I die. Freakin' beautiful place to live. Lotsa stuff to do if you have an open mind & a little imagination. Opportunities GALORE to make a living.

The one big drawback, it's gotten very expensive to live here.
Posted By: GilNewball Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/11/06 02:33 PM
That's what happened to me when I came here in 2004. In LA, if the folks wanted to go for an outing at 10 PM, heck, we'd go to Sunset, or Santa Monica, or Hollywood Walk of Fame or something. Out here, EVERYTHING DIES AFTER THE SUN DISAPPEARS!!! The only places that are open after the sun goes down are the strip clubs (there are more than you'd think).

It has gotten VERY expensive here. It has been before as well. A head of lettuce costs $3. I could get 5 for that price in LA. And oranges cost an arm and a leg, and you'd think they'd be cheap in a state that grows them left and right. If I wanted to see high prices, I could have stayed in LA and look at real estate (which is actually beginning a downward trend as of January, check out Zillow.com). But to come here, have hurricanes knocking on my door every summer, be constantly threatened to have our home insurance DROPPED because of the number of hurricanes (even from Citizen's), and to pay for repetitive repairs, I find living here as putting a house over a money hole.

Besides, I miss mountains meeting the sea. As well as temperate weather.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/11/06 04:18 PM
You should probably move.
Posted By: blakjak Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/11/06 08:57 PM
geez..lantana sounds like hell. sucks to be you.

there's a NHRA car thing going on down in the palm beach area april 21-23 or something like that.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/12/06 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

please...
Posted By: GilNewball Re: West Palm Beach, any tips? - 04/13/06 04:22 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

please...

Oh, I will. I'll be laughing when the next Category 5 hurricane rolls through South Florida, Andrew-Style.

© CEG Archives