Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Red92784 [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/13/05 07:09 PM
Hey guys. Just though I'd give my own little farewell to a valued radio station that I grew up with. WHFS will be missed but the spirit of this cherished free form radio station will surely live on with its ex-employees who will hopefully move on to work at other radio stations in the area.

For those of you that havent knoticed yet, 99.1 is now playing span.. . erm, Latino music. Im really blown about this particularly. They could at least play something I can listen to. (No I am not learning Spanish)

[Bio] Farewell and goodby WHFS. You will be missed. [Bio]
Posted By: Jason43 Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/13/05 10:52 PM
What surprises me is that it came completely out of left field, with no warning whatsoever. I guess that with most of the other area rock stations playing a large amount of 'alternative' rock, they felt they needed to change formats. Bummer none the less.
Posted By: smars_dup1 Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/13/05 11:52 PM
Yeah...This really sucks. I have been listening to them since I was in high school...Their morning show sucked thoough.
Posted By: foldthecorners Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 12:17 AM
Damn that sucks. When I lived in Baltimore that's all I listened to..

But the whole mexican take over thing is happening all over the country.. A lot of other rock stations are going mexican.

Elliot in the Morning has been Joking about DC101 being next.
Posted By: Red92784 Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 03:48 AM
You know, I'll bet that if the U.S. actually got enough balls to track down and deport all the illigals these stations would go under sooo fast It'd be like watching a toy boat sink in a bath tub.

I still turn 99.1 on every now and then, hoping that they realized their mistake and went back to rock.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 01:38 PM
Eh, no big loss. A change is inevitable when you can't crack the top 5 year after year.
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 02:56 PM
I liked HFS also, not too upset though. It's only radio. Meaning that I am usually listening to CD's or something like that. HFS did do a lot for local bands and put on some great events.

It's nice that most of the other stations are being very respectful and giving HFS accolades for their years of service. It was interesting to hear 94.7 playing old Clash, INXS, and other groups like that yesterday. It would be cool if 94.7 changed their format and played more old "modern" classics.

Anyways HFS will be missed. another reason for satellite radio I guess.

Posted By: foldthecorners Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 05:41 PM
Also, this means no more HFStival.
I turned it on yesterday on the way home to hear the 'latino' music and had a tear come from my eye.....from laughing so damn hard. That music was terrible!
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 07:16 PM
In-dash MP3, screw radio.
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 08:11 PM
http://www.petitiononline.com/991hfs/petition.html

hey, ya never know?
Posted By: phil_dup1 Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 09:15 PM
Apparently, "stealth" switchovers aren't uncommon in radio. From Thursday's WashPost:

"Radio stations often switch formats and often without promoting the change in advance."

You can read the rest here (probably requires free registration):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4390-2005Jan12.html

And a related item from the Posts's "Live Discussion" about WHFS:

"In the radio world, such format flips and talent firings happen abruptly like this. Typically, they tell fired on-air personnel that they're fired right after their show ends so they won't go on air and do something the company wouldn't like. It makes no sense, really, to lead up to a format flip and let folks know in advance. Radio stations live and die on buzz and sudden moves like this create buzz."

Personally, I suspect the HFStival will continue in some form, likely with a different name. The event seems to have enough momentum (and opportunity to make money) for someone to keep it alive, even if WHFS isn't there to sponsor it.
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: [R.I.P.] Tribute to HFS [R.I.P.] - 01/14/05 09:17 PM
I think MTV at some point was a silent partner behind the HFStival. Maybe they will continue to promo it.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/21/05 11:13 PM
Interesting e-mail just came...

The Legendary HFS returns tonight!

Dear Scott,

Last Wednesday, January 12th, at 12 noon WHFS signed off the air...

YOU protested, YOU called, and YOU wanted HFS back! Well, someone heard you...

Listen tonight at 7 PM to LIVE 105.7 Baltimore to witness the return of The Legendary HFS. Thank you, because without YOU this never could have happened.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/21/05 11:22 PM
Who cares. HFS was ranked 19th is listenership.
Posted By: moxnix_dup1 Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/22/05 12:01 AM
http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=63087

"Infinity Baltimore's FM Talk station, Live 105.7, will also debut "HFS on Live 105.7" weeknights beginning at 7:00 p.m. and all day Saturdays and Sundays beginning on Friday, Jan. 21. Hosted nightly by Tim Virgin, the exclusive programming will feature personalities and music previously heard on the station, including well-known artists Green Day, Depeche Mode and Linkin Park, among others."
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/22/05 07:00 AM
publicity stunt all along, saw it coming, not surprised or impressed
Posted By: Jason43 Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/22/05 01:08 PM
So HFS is now a syndicated show?
Posted By: platinum_drew Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/23/05 01:00 AM
no, they're back for nights/weekends as far as I can tell. see, when "the junkies" went to another station, I bet they lost lots of ratings in the morning...they probably did this so they could just keep the time slots where they had good ratings. I HIGHLY doubt this was simply a case of:

"no more HFS! too bad!"

*2 weeks pass*

"you petitioned and [censored] so we're gonna bring it back on the nights and weekends!!!"

Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/25/05 05:59 PM
It hasn't been all that great for at least 5 years now. It's just that the rest of the DC stations stank so bad that HFS seemed good.
Posted By: Andy W._dup1 Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/25/05 08:23 PM
I too don't believe they have been all that great until the junkies moved their. With Stern leaving, they are either going to move Don and Mike to mornings and the Junkies to evenings or just replace Stern with the Junkies. The Junkies are going to get heavy syndication after this. 105.7 will be talk all day and HFS night and weekends. Not a bad format.

99.1 was moved to El Sol because it reaches two markets, Washington and B-more. Othewise they would have had to change some other DC only station to El Sol and loose B-more all together. This way they get two markets with one station. 106.7 WJFK will likey go to a similar format as 105.7.

Just my thoughts.

-Andy
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: HFS returns tonight ? - 01/25/05 08:38 PM
They replaced Ron & Phez at night (no big loss) and Tom Leykis at 11:00 pm . I did enjoy listening to Tom Leykis, I was pissed when they bumped him to 11:00 pm and put those two morons "Ron & Phez" on. Is Leykis going to Satelite radio as well with Stern?
© CEG Archives