Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: phlop I think my amp is blown... - 03/14/05 11:17 PM
Pissed off, I opened up my amp today to see if I coudl see anything... then this wierd smell of burning electronics came from it... (reminded me of when I used to throw electronics in the fire when I was a kid)... anyways... there was no smoke, and no smell when it happened, so I didnt think it was blown...

What should I be looking for inside?
Posted By: BKittsSVT Re: I think my amp is blown... - 03/15/05 12:56 AM
I work at the new best buy in eugene as an installer if you brought it there wednesday id be able to look at it for ya. What you are looking for is anything out of the ordinary (burn marks, melted circuits, punctured diodes, etc.) When mine fried it didnt smoke much then i opened up the back and it was smokin like crazy.
Posted By: Dakmis Re: I think my amp is blown... - 03/15/05 02:00 AM
Originally posted by BKittsSVT:
I work at the new best buy in eugene as an installer if you brought it there wednesday id be able to look at it for ya. What you are looking for is anything out of the ordinary (burn marks, melted circuits, punctured diodes, etc.) When mine fried it didnt smoke much then i opened up the back and it was smokin like crazy.

i thought best buy was in springfield
Posted By: shotwell_dup1 Re: I think my amp is blown... - 03/15/05 02:10 AM
Springfield, Eugene...what's the difference?
Posted By: Dakmis Re: I think my amp is blown... - 03/15/05 02:29 AM
Originally posted by shotwell:
Springfield, Eugene...what's the difference?

one way streets?
Posted By: BKittsSVT Re: I think my amp is blown... - 03/16/05 09:34 AM
They are just on different sides of the highway, I live in eugene but the best buy is considered in springfield
Posted By: GrooveNerd Re: I think my amp is blown... - 03/16/05 10:45 AM
Originally posted by phlop:
Pissed off, I opened up my amp today to see if I coudl see anything... then this wierd smell of burning electronics came from it... (reminded me of when I used to throw electronics in the fire when I was a kid)... anyways... there was no smoke, and no smell when it happened, so I didnt think it was blown...

What should I be looking for inside?

Look for darkened areas on the circuit board that have gotten hot, and for darkened/blackened/otherwise fried-looking components as others have said.

If you get a new amp and aren't going to fix the fried one, don't throw it away -- I might give you a few bucks for it at a meet.

Marty
© CEG Archives