Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: BStoneMega Big injectors no chip - 08/13/03 10:06 PM
I am in the process of troubleshooting a misfire in my car right now. I am wondering if it is possible to put my 30# injectors in my car without the chip that I had burned for them. I was going to put the injectors in because I had a service verify the injectors as well as clean them and put new filters in them. All I want to see is if the idle will be correct. Probably not but I have to ask. I am starting to believe I have some sort of problem with my ecu. The car had 3 dead cylinders with the 30's and the S.F. chip. with the 19's it has 1 misfiring cylinder and thats on the Vortec burned chip. It didn't have these problems before but then again its been sitting for 4 months and the ECU went on a trip to Arizona and back. So will it be ok to run the 30's with the stock ECU for idle only?
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/13/03 10:10 PM
no it won't, it will feed approx 50% more fuel than the engine should get.
Posted By: Rev. Po-Jay Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/13/03 10:17 PM
Isn't there an issue with the coil-pack on our cars? I know the wires caused me one hell of a problem some months back. Just a question...
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/13/03 10:23 PM
I have a brand new coil pack now. I'm thinking I'm just going to put the 30's in it and fire it up with the tuned chip for them. Then if I still have a miss fire I am going to pull the chip with the 30's in and see if it idles without a misfire. Unless all that fuel is going to make 6 misfires So basically I am going to go thru the same procedure my mechanic did yesterday. But, they say If you want something done right do it yourself.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/13/03 11:55 PM
The car won't idle with the 30's...at least not for long and it will run rich and misfire.
Chances are you need to check/change the plugs for fuel fouling and check/change the wires.

Even though the chip is tuned for 30's, that isn't the end of the story. Is the MAF stock? You will have to install the chip and injectors, then use an obd scanner to verify long-term and short-term fuel trims to see if it is running too rich or too lean at idle. Not all MAF's from the same year are actually calibrated the same so that could be an issue right there.

This is a perfect example of why I run an emanage piggyback with my chip just to make small fine-tuning adjustments for the air-fuel and improve idle quality. The datalogging is a big help too.

war...
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/14/03 05:56 AM
Long Story Short:

I fixed the car mysef, It was the injector. I don't know why the mechanic didn't find this when he swapped the injectors. I'll never go to a mechanic again, Shadetree from here on out. My 30's were good the whole time with the Street Flight chip. Happy as hell I hopped in the car to go for a cruise to test it out. Got 1/4 mile down the street and the tranny broke. Wouldn't get out of third gear. Secondaries didn't even open, I babied the clutch too. I drive around the block stuck in third gear. Get home and diagnose that most likely a internal problem has occured in my brand new beefcake HMS Trans. Car won't shift. I'm down for another couple months.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/14/03 01:01 PM
OUCH! Maybe its a shift cable? or the shift tower perhaps.
If you turn the steering wheel fully right and look through the left front wheel well at the trans you can see where the cables connect to the shift tower. Have someone move the stick around and you should see the cables moving the shift tower levers. If both aren't moving then its probably a broken cable. if both are moving then you can pull the shift tower and easily look inside the transmission to see whats up. Sounds like a cable or a tower to me though it is possible that it could be further in the transmission.

Good luck.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/14/03 03:10 PM
I did what you had said as soon as I got home. I figured mabey one of the plastic clips broke. Which the small one came off but I would assume thats the reverse linkage. If I shift the tower by hand (focus shift tower) the stick moves too. The stick won't stay in the gear you put it in but you can hear the tranny clicking and see the tower miving back and forth, it doesn't move left or right. So now it seems I can get it in first and nuetral only. So If It is first gear and I have to pull the trans I am going to fix the secondarie linkage and rip down the street in first like no other before I pull the trans. But We'll see what the real deal is. Terry is going to call me soon, so he should know right off the bat what happend. After all this though i decided if the trans comes out I am going to do it myself most likely. I have a honda that gets me around so there really is no need to pay someone to fix my hotrod/new hobby. I have learned quite abit in the last few months watching the mechanic work and I am by no means not a mechanic my self. I build precision machines for a living as well as calibrating and verifying the accuricy of sub micron-machines. The svt will be a piece of cake.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/14/03 05:13 PM
I talked to Terry. Its not shifting because of the small cable end. I thought it was a reverse deal but its not so I learned something good today. He walked me through the procedure to put it back on and adjust it. Once again I will not go to a mechanic. Even the best mechanics stumble sometimes. usually with me. Anyways, I have to go to north carolina until tommorow night and then I will do the procedure and test it out. The only other thing that is of concern is whether or not the tranny was damaged in the short amount of drive time. I doubt it but my luck is not great so far. I'll let you all know. Thanks
Brandon
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/14/03 10:55 PM
Cool. Glad to hear you have a plan. I was going to say that there are two cables, one that selects the different shift fork, and one that pushes the shift fork back and forth. In the neutral position it moves the 3-4 shift fork between 3-4 and only utilizes the "shifting cable" The other cable, sort of a "shift fork selection cable" just moves the lever into position for either 1-2, 3-4, and 5-R
The shift tower is spring loaded so it should have defaulted to the 3-4 shifting if the "shift fork selector cable" were broken. If you can get it into 1st, then your shifting cable is also not likely to be broken.
This means that its probably the plastic retaining clips that are used to lock the shift cables when you adjust the shifter position. On my car the plastic couplers are white with a black bushing and pop onto the the shift tower levers via a ball joint. The white plastic coupler has an Orange friction clip that allows the end of the cable to slide inside it just a little bit for adjustment, if/when it is popped loose. Once the clip is pressed in it locks the cable from moving.

If one or both of these clips popped out then it would explain your problem. Otherwise its in the trans.

warmonger
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/16/03 09:24 PM
Well, I got underneath and adjusted the side to side cable while my friend held the gear selector in nuetral. I adjusted it and put the end on the ball. After a few shifts the connector pops off the ball. I have to turn the cable and connector 45 degrees or so in the up position so mabey that is pulling the end off. But being a ball joint i wouldn't figure that mattered. I just cant get the end to stay on. I mean this isn't rocket science or anything. I push it on and it falls off after a few shifts. I did this many times and I know I have the cable set at the right length. War, the way you described your ends is the same type that I have. Did you have to bend the whole cable and end to get it to snap on the ball? Or was the end facing the ball perfectly?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/16/03 10:29 PM
There is a mounting bracket that bolts to the diff case and holds the cables in it.
If the cables are in the bracket then they should be lined up reasonably close to the shift tower levers. The cable shouldn't have to be bent, but the connector may have to be rotated to line it up. They do take quite a bit of force to push on and there is a black bushing in the connector that is somewhat flexible but still holds the connector onto the ball joint.
I would say that if you have to bend the cable 45 degrees then it probably isn't in its mounting bracket. Is the bracket present or missing?

Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/17/03 12:45 AM
well, the cable doesn't bend. I just have to rotate the connector to get it on. I just took it out for a spin and I can tell that it is still mis-aligned because in first gear it looks like it is in between first and second gears. It's the same for all the other gears also. It pops off everytime I put it in reverse also. That right there tells me its mis-aligned because thats the furthest that the gear sellector has to move to the right.

Now, when the shifter is in neutral between third and fourth gears it looks straight. Thats how I checked the length of the connector when I adjusted it. It maight still be a little off. It's not as easy as I thought it was going to be to do the adjustment.

Now the misfire is gone in the engine as far as I can tell. I took off the FMU because the S.F. chip wasn't made to use the fmu I believe. So I figured the car might run pretty good. I was wrong. Last night with the fmu on the car ran out of balls at 90 mph, just wouldn't go faster. Thats when I figured that the chip probably wasn't meant to be used witht he fmu. So this morning I took the fmu off and the car didn't just stop like it did last night but it has no balls.

When ever I get to about 3-4k rpm with half-throttle or so I get nasty backfire also. The car should be quicker than it used to but honestly I think I probably have only 100 HP or so at the wheels. Thats how slow it feels. I know the Zetec final drive is going to lose me some low end balls as well as my wide open exhaust (no cats). But even up high it is just a slug. I am pretty much lost. My brother said the back fire could be caused by a exhaust leak (we filled them at the shop), running lean (its possible, except it did it with the fmu set at 7:1 and S.F. chip, or the timing may not be right). I wonder if the timing chain skipped? Its really bad though and I have exhausted my limited knowledge on the subject. I really don't want to take it back to a shop. Its just to expensive to do and I do have a honda to get me around. How can I tell if the timing is right? Would it trow a cel? Right now the only light on the ddash is the ABS light. I have had it running for a while and no CELs since I put in the S.F. chip and the 30# injectors. Thanks alot for the help.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/17/03 02:32 PM
Its possible that you hurt something in the engine, but sounds to me like you may be running overly rich.

Is the SF chip tuned to use the FMU, or is it tuned to use a set of larger injectors?
If you used the SF chip and it was tuned for use with an FMU BUT you did not use the FMU then you could have hurt something.
I think vortech runs too rich anyway for protection, so I'd guess that you may have fouled plugs. Check out your oil and make sure it doesn't smell like gas. If all these things come out negative, then unhook the intake for the supercharger and put your normal intake back on, pull all the chips and reset the pcm.
The supercharger will still turn but it won't be hooked up and you can test to see if the engine goes back to normal during your drive. If it operates normally then you have a tuning/fuel/spark issue when the vortech is hooked up.

As for the transmission, make sure you are pushing the connectors all the way on. You should see the ball joint pop through the connector once it is all the way on. Then you can take and adjust the linkage by popping out the orange retainers, center the stick with the trans in neutral, then pushing the clips back in. The only way the connectors wont stay on is if they are damaged or not pushed on all the way. Remember, they are a [censored] to push all the way in.

Tom
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/17/03 05:15 PM
Tom,
I just took a plug out and it looks good. Then I smelled the oil and it does seem to smell like gas a little. It doesn't smell like straight up oil I don't think. I had my lady smell it and she said it smelled like oil. Then I told her to get closer and she said it smelled like gas. So what kind of damage is this? Anyone interested in buying a SVT?

edit: I did have a 19# injector that was stuck open for about 20 miles. Could this cause gas in the oil? The engine isn't blowing smoke either, it sounds real good at idle too. The last thing I know is the cars clock is all goofy, is this a sign of faulty chip or ecu? Sometimes the clock reads military time, sometimes it reads normal time. and the pats light flashes like crazy and then just stops. mostly it flashes all the time though. I am just getting ready to do a compresion check on all six right now so hopefully this reads out right.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/17/03 07:51 PM
An injector stuck open or leaking will put gas in the oil. The oil will then be too thin and not lubricate as well, plus it has harmful vapors. Doesn't seem so bad if you only smell a little gas, I'd just change it soon to be safe.

If all six plugs come out looking good and the compression test is fine then you have nothing to worry about as far as the engine.
The pats light flashing randomly is a sign that something is up with the chip or the way the chip is put in, i.e. not seated correctly.
Again, try running the car in a normal fashion without the SC hooked up so you can see whether or not that improves it or not.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/17/03 10:31 PM
War,
Ok, I did change the oil, i put in mobil 1 5-w30. I am nearly positive its a chip issue. I just took it out and the thing pulls all the way to 7600 rpm, I don't hear pinging or backfiring. When I let off the gas it pops a little but thats probably the unused fuel that is stuck in the combustion chamber. It used to rip the tires all the way through 1st even when I babied the clutch. now I really don't know how the car is supposed to feel. It has a lsd and zetec final drive so mabey it won't rip the tires. but it is still not nearly as quick as it used to be. Tommorow I will have the 19# injectors fixed at the fuel injection shop and put them + the vortec chip back in. If that doesn't make it run good than something else is wrong. Thanks alot for all your help warmonger.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/17/03 11:31 PM
No problem.
Remember, you have the tires and the lsd, AND its been how many months since you last ran it? Isn't it the dead of summer now??? That may be an indication. Were you boosting when you ran it to 7600 and how did you manage that without a chip?
Either way you have an A/F problem and you might as well put it back to stock vortech settings and start from there again.

tom
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/18/03 02:45 PM
Yeah, I was boosting when I went above 7000 rpm. I did have the 30# injectors as well as the S.F. chip that was tuned for them. I just think its runnig extremely rich right now. Even when it idles there is a real rich smell coming out the exaust and the brandnew muffler tips are coated black. I might have to wait a couple days for 1 19# injector because the shop doesn't have one on hand. They are testing all the injectors now so I should have 5 good ones and then I'll get the other one. In the meantime I'll fix the shift linkage. I'll keep you posted. Thank you.

Brandon Stone
Posted By: imnotted Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/20/03 01:38 AM
Whoa. Good luck with that man. Sounds like you have a serious A/F issue. Hope all works out with the 19# injectors! I'm new to this, so please don't laugh if I'm wrong, but aren't 30# injectors a bit extreme? I've been looking in the 3L forums, and seems like people there think the 24#s are excessive. I am sure you have all the proper documentation, but if you want a copy of the Ford service manuals regarding gearshift linkage, let me know! I have the entire Ford line from 1997-2003 on DVD, and I think I can pull off a copy in PDF format for you! Again, good luck!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/20/03 01:54 AM
Hell, I'd like the entire line on DVD too??

(hopefull looking)

You don't happen to have a dvd burner do you?

Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/20/03 03:08 PM
Thanks for the support, this is in S.F.'s hands now. I fixed the tranny linkages, I just needed to back the small linkage off about a 1/4 turn on the threads to make it straight with the ball it goes on. Street Flights doing up a new chip with two programs on it for me now so I should have it tommorow. I hope it works good man, otherwise I'll be putting the 19# injectors back in and running the Vortech chip.
Edit: I would definately like to get that manual on cd or DVD if possible.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/20/03 11:24 PM
Well fellas, as I hang my head in disgust I will relay to you what I believe the problem is after all this. The bypass valve was installed backwards . Now, I don't know much about engines, but I've learned alot lately, one being the correct operation of a simple valve. Now I feel stupid for not knowing this, but hey, there is no reason I should have known this, I paid a mechanic so I didn't have to think about that stuff. Now with my chip at S.F. I can't check the car out to see if it runs well with the bypass valve installed properly(it will). I called S.F. to talk to Keith about the chip and at the end of the call I asked him one last question about the bypass valve. 5 minutes later after my schooling and swearing we were both laughing. He is updating my chip and sending it back. I will know soon how the car runs. By the way, check her out in the pics and videos section . Thank you Warmonger for all the help, I know that alot of my questions were stupid but now you won't have to answer some of the stupid questions and I can. I guess thats one way this site works. So I will hope that this is the fix, I don't see any other issues as I have gone through everything else. So we'll see on friday. Once again, THANKS ALOT!!!!!!
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/21/03 03:23 AM
Doh...

Hope everything works great when you get the chip back.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/21/03 03:56 AM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Doh...

Sounds like something I'd do!!! Though I don't think I'd be that honest.
No,I probably would
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/21/03 02:15 PM
Originally posted by warmonger:
Doh...

Sounds like something I'd do!!! Though I don't think I'd be that honest.
No,I probably would

No reason to lie to my e-friends or any friends for that matter. It's all been a learning experience for me and if I can share to help others out then it was worth it.
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/21/03 05:04 PM
I'm hoping for your sake that the valve is the problem, but I don't think it is. Right when I first installed mine before I knew the secondaries weren't opening I thought the valve was stuck open so I switched it around. The car drove exactly the same regardless of the valve direction. I think the vacuum is still strong enough to open it even though the extra boost would be pushing against it.

Of course, I haven't tried switching it around now that my secondaries are working so that may still be the problem.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/21/03 05:34 PM
well, for the most part my car was running rich and it didn't build good boost. I thought about it alot and it was not making sense until I started to play with the valve itself. With the valve on backwards the boost hits the side of the spring. In theory this would always have boost on the engine when the throttle is released. It is like that because the air cannot escape and is bouncing back and forth between the throttle plate and the impellar. In actuality the spring shifts if slight pressure is aplied to the side of it. The shift unseats the seal and caused a leak. This leak was responsible for the low boost situation that dumped fuel at higher rpm (the maf knew no better). The reason it was running rich on the low end was because there was a air leak after the maf thru the same spot. This caused incorrect maf readings as well, pulsing the injectors for the maf reading when it was really false. Thats what I came up with at least. lets just hope i'm right.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/21/03 07:00 PM
Ripper,
The valve on yours will cause the problems that I have if its on backwards. When you have boost, the vacuum line has boost. this means that the valve is in a equal state of pressure on both sides of the spring. when you release gas and the manifold pressure goes back to vacuum is when the valve opens and releases the pressure back to the intake side of the S/C. Depending on the side to side play of the valve the symptoms will be different. My valve opens slightly when there is pressure on the side of the spring. this losses boost. So basically with the valve on right, under boost there won't be vacuum present to open it up.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/22/03 04:33 PM
I got the car running. Everything is on right and I have 2 programs to chose from on the chip. It's hard to tell if its right or not. I never had the ride in the summer months. So all the power I have felt on it was with temps below 55-60 degrees and cold pavement. It seems to have more low end power now and the backfireing is no where near as bad. But I just can't tell if its fast or not. It's hard to tell when your in the seat and you know what to expect. It's definitly getting hot air in the intake. The intake pipe is hot and thats befor the S/C. So I dunno, It feels better than before the bypass valve flip but I don't know yet. I'm gonna get more seat time ( i only drove for 10 min or so) after work and when the sun goes down. I almost wonder if the exhaust has to much flow? I wouldn't think so considering some race cars run open header. Hmm...I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks,
Brandon
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/23/03 07:03 AM
Even with a chip, I do belive your car's computer will still be learning. Give it a little learn time, and make sure you drive it in the early morning for cool-air fun.
Glad you got your car back up and running! BTW, I saw it in the pics and videos, and it looks sweet. Super sleeper!
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/24/03 02:47 AM
Originally posted by BStoneMega:
and the backfireing is no where near as bad.

So it is still backfiring?! You're saying not as bad like it's a good thing.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/25/03 02:16 PM
I haven't driven it all weekend. Everything I worked on as well as the new chip helped out teh car sounds better and the cat helped out quite a bit. Problem is I have intermitent misfires. It hasn't been on all six cylindrs since I got it back. I'm confused. The compression is correct, the injectors spray and the plugs spark. The only other thing I can think of is I might have a bad chip or may be even a bad ecu. I have a trouble shooting handout for the ecu but the chip I will try to get a replacement. Hopefully I get my 19# injectors back from the service shop soon. When I get those I will put the normal intake on and pull the belt for the S/C like warmonger said. I hope it runs good, if so Then I will put the belt back on the S/C and pop the vortec chip in. I'm close but not there. Its too bad too because my brother brought his "new to him" z28 out this weekend and I wanted to show him what real power felt like!
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/25/03 07:09 PM
Is the intermitten backfire on decel only? That would indicate a rich spot in the maf curve. We would just need to check fuel trims throughout the rpm band with a good scanner.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/25/03 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Keyser:
Is the intermitten backfire on decel only? That would indicate a rich spot in the maf curve. We would just need to check fuel trims throughout the rpm band with a good scanner.

Mine is!!

How come you didn't offer to fix mine hunh????
(Probably because I gave you the maf function right? )
I get backfiring on deceleration pretty much only when I shift slowly and probably because the intake track is so long. I also get it when the blow-off valve opens but that is vented to atmosphere. Any easy fix for that?
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/26/03 03:43 AM
Blow off valve to atmosphere on a metered air system...

I think that answers itself.

Can your E-manage read a boost signal? If so it can likely compensate. I know my S-AFC has a special function just for that exact situation.
Posted By: BStoneMega Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/26/03 01:57 PM
Its fixed!!!!!! Keyser called last night and told me that it sounds like a wiring harness isn't plugged in all the way. I looked at the three on the passenger side of the engine and the looked good. So I took them off and re-plugged them in. the two black connectors clicked easy. The grey wouldn't click no matter how hard I pushed on it. So I got the good ol channel locks and squeezed til it clicked. Then I fired it up and I knew right away that it was smooth as could be with no misfires. The exhaust sounded clean and not to loud and the throttle response was nice and quick. So I took off for a test drive. I slowly let off of the clutch in first, got going to about 10 miles an hour and gunned it. I went back in the seat and the rpm shot up quick, then at the top of first gear the tires broke loose and started squealing. I knew it was on!!! Every gear responded well. It need some bugs worked out of the chip but over all its super bad. After some test driving I put her away for the night happy as I could be. Today I'm going to play with the two programs on the chip and see what those do. By the way, Ic an tell the DMD is doing its job, the car is extremely smoth up top. Unbelieveable. It's hard to put this thing in words. Thanks everybody for all the help, I really apreciate it . Now I just have to take it to the dyno and tune it. Oh man, am I happy!!!!!
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Big injectors no chip - 08/26/03 02:26 PM
Blow off valve to atmosphere on a metered air system...

I think that answers itself.

Can your E-manage read a boost signal? If so it can likely compensate. I know my S-AFC has a special function just for that exact situation.

I know the answer to the first part... I just wasn't clear enough.
I want to know if there is an easy fix for the rich spike when you close the throttle due to the long intake tract and the backfires that result even when the blow-off valve doesn't open.

It isn't really that bad, or I'm used to it.
© CEG Archives