Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: JayBoSVT Twin Turbo - 07/11/03 12:28 AM
The Noble M12 uses a 2.5L Duratec Ford engine as you probably know. They beefed up the internals for the 2 Garrett T25 turbos they bolted onto it to produce 310hp. Does anyone know if the same application can be performed on a CSVT?
Posted By: 95Mike_dup1 Re: Twin Turbo - 07/11/03 12:37 AM
Not enough room. Get the street flight kit single turbo. Twin turbos are more bragging rights than anything.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Twin Turbo - 07/11/03 06:17 AM
Originally posted by JayBoSVT:
The Noble M12 uses a 2.5L Duratec Ford engine as you probably know. They beefed up the internals for the 2 Garrett T25 turbos they bolted onto it to produce 310hp. Does anyone know if the same application can be performed on a CSVT?

Only 310 HP from twins. (bling, bling)

The SF kit makes 270+ FWHP from just one. (That's ~330+ crank)
Posted By: Oeneus Re: Twin Turbo - 07/12/03 04:28 PM
Ok, here is a question:
Is single turbo is better for all out performance in all displacements? What about driveablility? Obviously on a 'tour, if you found a place for both, each turbo would only be fed by 1.25L of displacement. Now, if you had a 4.6 Mustang, or a 5.9 Durango, you would have 2.3 to 2.95L feeding each turbo. You could put two decent sized turbos on each manifold, and not have much lag. Would this be more or less drivable than a single turbo at the same power level? Is anything I said really relevent, or are my assumptions way off?

PS I think I know what the answer is going to be, just sometimes it is better to hear is from someone else
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: Twin Turbo - 07/12/03 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Oeneus:
Ok, here is a question:
Is single turbo is better for all out performance in all displacements? What about driveablility? Obviously on a 'tour, if you found a place for both, each turbo would only be fed by 1.25L of displacement. Now, if you had a 4.6 Mustang, or a 5.9 Durango, you would have 2.3 to 2.95L feeding each turbo. You could put two decent sized turbos on each manifold, and not have much lag. Would this be more or less drivable than a single turbo at the same power level? Is anything I said really relevent, or are my assumptions way off?

PS I think I know what the answer is going to be, just sometimes it is better to hear is from someone else

Neither is always better and what you use typically depends more on the package space available and the turbo(s) chosen to meet the needs of the particular engine. As the necessary size for a single turbo gets very large, the boost threshold and lag time typically begin to get unacceptably large/high for anyhting other than single purpose usage (ie single speed generator usage, or drag race car, etc.) For me personally, around 4L I would begin considering two turbos instead of a single as a possibility. But I've seen very good single setups on 6.0L and even much larger gasoline engines, so there is a big range there where you have overlap.
Posted By: GreenNuggs_dup1 Re: Twin Turbo - 07/15/03 05:32 PM
Sorry to rehash a much talked about topic, but I have one quick question.

A twin turbo setup obviously uses two turbos, one on each manifold, and the single turbo (like the SF kit) uses just one on the front bank and the rear exhaust just goes out through pipes. My question is, would it be beneficial to have a turbo after the collector so that you are using the full exhaust to power the turbo? OUTSIDE of any packaging concerns, this is from a purely theorhetical point of view. Is the difference negligible? Is the distance of the turbo from the point of combustion providing an adverse affect? Could you now use a larger turbo, but would get nearly the same spool-up time as the T28 if mapped correctly?
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Twin Turbo - 07/15/03 05:40 PM
Originally posted by GreenNuggs:
Sorry to rehash a much talked about topic, but I have one quick question.

A twin turbo setup obviously uses two turbos, one on each manifold, and the single turbo (like the SF kit) uses just one on the front bank and the rear exhaust just goes out through pipes. My question is, would it be beneficial to have a turbo after the collector so that you are using the full exhaust to power the turbo? OUTSIDE of any packaging concerns, this is from a purely theorhetical point of view. Is the difference negligible? Is the distance of the turbo from the point of combustion providing an adverse affect? Could you now use a larger turbo, but would get nearly the same spool-up time as the T28 if mapped correctly?

the SF is powered off both set of manifolds after the collector pipe, not just one.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Twin Turbo - 07/16/03 02:45 AM
beyondloadedse
I have a twin turbo. I just don't know when you are going to install yours!

warmonger
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Twin Turbo - 07/16/03 05:24 AM
soon, very soon! should have the 3.0L in about a week and a half.
© CEG Archives