Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: nclxnotch Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 06:07 PM
Ok now you guys might think I'm crazy, but I'm giving up on duratechs! This is the 3rd one I have gone through. I am very tired of spun bearings I'm going to be getting a zetec, and I want to make it turbo. What is the best way to go, and what will I need? I am on a budget but i want to get the right stuff.
Posted By: Ausgedient the Ninja Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 06:17 PM
A MTX Zetec can be difficult to find, especially if you want a 98+. And they are usually the worst optioned. I found one that was perfect for me, but it did not have power locks or windows. I NEED those on a four door. I suppose if you do not care what year you get, it would be much easier. Anyways, here is an inexpensive solution:

1. MTX Zetec with a solid motor
2. Wheels (Many come with hubcaps, not acceptable)
3. 200HP turbo kit
4. 2.5" exhaust piping

Or it would probably be easier to find a higher mileage motor and rebuild/build it up.

I guess it all depends on how much power you want.
Posted By: Ausgedient the Ninja Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 06:21 PM
That is what I was looking at, but I did not have an SVT to sell. I found the MTX Zetec, same year, same color, same mileage, too good to be true.

Sell ATX SE Zetec -$7000
Buy MTX GL Zetec $5000
16" wheels and rubber $800
200HP turbo $3000
2.5" single exhaust ?$500?

So I was looking at ROUGHLY at $2500 for a faster car, but alas, power windows and locks. And my Zetec is ridiculously reliable, so I had to factor that in as a risk.

Good luck.
Posted By: nclxnotch Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 06:41 PM
I'm not selling my entire car, just the engine and trans. The rest of my car is set up the way I like it. I just want a more reliable engine. I keep trashing the bottom ends. I'm looking at a 98 zetec out of a ZX2 right now. I'm just going to build it up from there.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 08:00 PM
3 engines??????

Ever think that you may have possibly contributed to this???

Just somethign to throw out there. AS I have a few spun bearings in my car, and I was partially at fault.
Posted By: nclxnotch Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 08:40 PM
Oh I'm sure it is definatly partly my fault. But I think a Zetec could be a little more reliable.
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 09:10 PM
Originally posted by nclxnotch:
Oh I'm sure it is definatly partly my fault. But I think a Zetec could be a little more reliable.

could look at gettin an engine out of a focus.
Posted By: SVTMike_dup1 Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 09:22 PM
Just out of curiosity, were you using a DMD on any of your 3 Duratech engines?
Posted By: Ausgedient the Ninja Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 10:48 PM
In that case I would forget about a Zetec. It is going to be a HUGE pain in the ass to make your SVT take a Zetec. It will not be cost nor time effective. It would be cool no doubt, but it would cost you thousands in parts and who knows how much time.
Posted By: TGO Re: Planning a turbo install - 12/01/02 11:06 PM
HE doesn't have an SVT....but yeah you'd need new wiring harness', PCM, trans bell housing atleast, bla bla bla...would be cool, the demon dynamics stage 3 kit claims 350bhp and that's WITHOUT an intercooler IIRC!
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Walk away! - 12/02/02 06:26 AM
You went through 3 SVT engines (plus your original I suppose)

Either you should be sueing all the incompetant mechanics that did the work for you or never touching a car again.

Something is definitely amiss here!

BTW a swap from Duratec to Zetec is ludicrous. If you want one that badly just buy a car with a Zetec & MTX in it.
Personally I suggest picking a different car altogether. You seem to have no luck with these cars.

'nuff said
Posted By: Stazi Re: Walk away! - 12/02/02 01:37 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
You went through 3 SVT engines (plus your original I suppose)

Either you should be sueing all the incompetant mechanics that did the work for you or never touching a car again.

Something is definitely amiss here!

BTW a swap from Duratec to Zetec is ludicrous. If you want one that badly just buy a car with a Zetec & MTX in it.
Personally I suggest picking a different car altogether. You seem to have no luck with these cars.

'nuff said

Yeah what he said!

How the fugg do you blow 3 SVT engines? Do you drive in tight right hand circles all day long with 1 qt of oil in the engine?
Posted By: nclxnotch Re: Walk away! - 12/02/02 05:20 PM
Well I guess I should clear things up. I bought the car with a regular duratech that had a bad rod knock(spun bearing I am told), I put in a rebuilt SVT engine that was rebuilt incorrectly(thank you Canton auto) and this one that I know I drove hard, but I kept a full crankcase of Mobil 1 and changed it every 2,500. I have had freinds that have had problems with their duratechs also. I have gotten very efficent at taking the engine and trans out of contours, so swapping a turbo zetec to it should be no problem. Parts are way too expensive for the duratech. Just the gaskets for my rebuilds were $400.00, and that was with my employee discount. I know I run them hard, but in no means to I abuse them. As far as buying a whole other car, I really like mine. I have all options, rear disc, SVT body. Why start all over with a gl? I have all winter to do the swap.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Walk away! - 12/02/02 05:34 PM
Well, best of luck, but be warned that you'll need a whole new PCM, trans and engine as well as who knows what to do the transformation.
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: Walk away! - 12/02/02 05:41 PM
Why not use clevite 77 rod bearings and federal mogual mains or the clevite 77 mains when they come out?? Then your covered, they will last well beyond the stock lead(i think) bearings. Throw a DMD on there and if you spin another one I would be amazed. Sounds like very few of those engine built were the duratec's fault, ie bad motor rebuilds, etc. Tri-metal bearings and a DMD will damn near cure the spun bearing problems.
Posted By: nclxnotch Re: Walk away! - 12/02/02 05:43 PM
I was already thinking I was going to need all that. Unfortunatly I have done the engine replacement in a contour 3 times now so it is not even a hassle God I hope this is the last time.
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: Walk away! - 12/02/02 05:56 PM
I know it's been asked already, but you havent responded to what seems to be the most obvious explanation regarding you're troubles, from everything that i have read, 99.9% of blown v6's result from spund bearings = DMD, oil starvation = baffled oil pan, and overheating = waterpump. Maybe your biggest problem is overlooking small solutions that can solve big problems.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Run Away! - 12/02/02 06:13 PM
You will need a new subframe, all the harnesses, sensors, TB, etc... The list covers nearly everything under the hood and electronics.

By the time you collect all the parts you need you will have bought an entire donor car. A complete waste of time & money. Though I have seen pics of your car so I guess you are used to that. (what's with the aluminum park bench?)

4 blown Duratecs - Ride a Bike! You don't deserve a car IMO & from your track record!
Posted By: nclxnotch Re: Run Away! - 12/02/02 07:48 PM
There is no need to be a dick! I am very happy with my car and that is all that matters. I have read your posts, and you do nothing but bitch. If you have nothing constructive to say. Your car is yours and that makes you happy. Who am I to say it is a waste of money. Think about it jackass!
Posted By: nclxnotch Re: Run Away! - 12/02/02 07:51 PM
As far as to the other ?'s, I do not have a DMD, the water pump is still good, and I ran an extra 1/2 quart of oil. Either way I need a new engine, so I think I will spend the same amount on a zetec build-up.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Run Away! - 12/02/02 08:07 PM
Demon isn't a dick, just straight forward.

And Greg-O the zetecs v duratecs use different subframes? what about ATX - MTXs like SHOs?
Posted By: Lee_dup2 Re: Run Away! - 12/02/02 08:14 PM
I would just go with a 3.0 install and forget the SVT engines. Just use the cams and parts you need off of it and get more displacement. It would be alot cheaper then what your talking about. Also get a DMD. 3 SVT engines...sheesh.
Posted By: Livinsvt_dup1 Re: Run Away! - 12/02/02 08:16 PM
I think that with our connections and combined experience we can make this turbo work. Like you said we got all winter, you got the space and I know I sure have the time. Hard or not it will be a fun project.
Posted By: SVTMike_dup1 Re: Run Away! - 12/02/02 08:24 PM
Good luck, I wanna see pics when its finished!
Posted By: Keyser Soze Re: Run Away! - 12/03/02 12:07 AM
MTX to ATX are different subframes also.
Posted By: Lee_dup2 Re: Run Away! - 12/03/02 12:11 AM
Not to mention Pre 98 and Post 98 those subframes are different still...
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Run Away! - 12/03/02 03:10 AM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
And Greg-O the zetecs v duratecs use different subframes? what about ATX - MTXs like SHOs?

Yes. Different subframes, transmissions, axles, etc...

You would need an entire donor Zetec MTX to do the swap. Make sure the year is 96 or 97 too.

Henceforth why trying to do such a swap would not be remotely cost effective. However it is your time, car & money. Just understand what you are getting into and what you will end up needing to swap over. This isn't just a "simple" engine & tranny swap.

Also how do you explain blowing 4 Duratecs? That is a little more than just bad luck...

My car is a pretty highly stressed NA Duratec and I drive the living hell out of it and to date (knock on wood) it is running better than the day I received it. I contribute that to aggressive maintenance and subsequent knowledge.

...just where I am coming from...
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Run Away! - 12/07/02 08:02 AM
Hey if the guy want to put a 4 banger in his car let him what do you guys care just cause you wouldnt. that doesnt mean everyone wont. "if you dont have anything positive to say dont say it at all" didnt your mom teach you anything.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Run Away! - 12/10/02 07:29 AM
Buy the Zetec MTX car, part out your junker and call it good. Problem solved, now go in peace my fellow CEG'ers.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Run Away! - 12/11/02 08:38 PM
dude, do a 3L conversion, with DMD, and them good bearings (not sure what they are called lol) and use the extra money to make it fast, buy a set of headers, true dual exhaust and a wide variety of mods .
© CEG Archives