Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tourige Wiring wideband. - 07/31/06 07:00 PM
We'll now that im effectivly done my change pod thingy, im going to start doing some wiring (yay!)

So i need a 12V power source for the guage, i was thinking about cig lighter, but i use that for my Itrip, i dont know how much power the guage zaps but i definatly dont want to overload that, some insight might be good.

Also, i need somewhere to wire the actaul sensor to the engine bay, the windshield wiper cowl grommet thing is pretty much full with other wires and my purge, so im wondering if there is another grommet somewhere else to run it. Thanks!

Also, i think i need a wire with a built in fuse (for the guage power draw) can i just buy those at walmart, or is it not important?
Posted By: Swazo Re: Wiring wideband. - 07/31/06 07:40 PM
For the 12V source, I tapped the green ignition wire right off the ign switch that's hot when the key is on. I use a fuseable link on all my aftermarket stuff and the proper sized fuse. I learned my lesson the hard way, and now cover my butt with the fusable links. Cheap insurance IMO.

You'll have to drill through the fire wall if you can't get that wire through the grommet.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 07/31/06 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Swazo:
For the 12V source, I tapped the green ignition wire right off the ign switch that's hot when the key is on. I use a fuseable link on all my aftermarket stuff and the proper sized fuse. I learned my lesson the hard way, and now cover my butt with the fusable links. Cheap insurance IMO.

You'll have to drill through the fire wall if you can't get that wire through the grommet.

Boo.

Haha, where did most of you run the USB hub thingy for the laptop hookup? I was thinking of running mine behind the glove box and wiring it through there.

looks like ill need another grommet for this too!
Posted By: TRicker Re: Wiring wideband. - 07/31/06 08:15 PM
if you dont know this yet......

the more amperage you have, the more accurately the guage will read at sub WOT..... look in your fusebox under the dash, find the fuse with the highest #, and wire it into that. or else, you need a relay and wire it directly to the battery, and wire the other side of teh relay to the ignition switch.

(my wideband power wire goes to the 40 amp fuse that's under the dash, i think it's for the headlights, but theres always power to it even if the switch is off for the headlights. ground goes straight to the battery.)
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 07/31/06 09:45 PM
Originally posted by TRicker:

the more amperage you have, the more accurately the guage will read at sub WOT..... look in your fusebox under the dash, find the fuse with the highest #, and wire it into that. or else, you need a relay and wire it directly to the battery, and wire the other side of teh relay to the ignition switch.

(my wideband power wire goes to the 40 amp fuse that's under the dash, i think it's for the headlights, but theres always power to it even if the switch is off for the headlights. ground goes straight to the battery.)

How do you wire to a fuse? Sorry im learning with this whole wiring up stuff.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Wiring wideband. - 07/31/06 10:43 PM
Wow, that made me really think of this:

Originally posted by Tourige:

When someone posts something as stupid as

"Does changing the thermostat to a cooler one help any? "

There is nothing else to do but poke fun and make them cry, as they obiously know nothing about cars or how they work.

Wiring to fuses must be pretty complicated stuff!

If you really dont have all the answers, maybe you should calm down about others who dont. Not to mention, all of your wiring questions could be found from a simple search. Or on google, or whatever. But you, of course, knew that.

Go to radio shack, and they will have little clips that fit under a fuse tab. At the other end it has a section of metal that sticks out to allow you to solder wire to it.

Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Wiring wideband. - 07/31/06 10:56 PM
in addition to that, they have little adaptor things that you can plug into a fuse, that has a wire coming off to tap, then you plug the fuse on top of that.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 07/31/06 10:59 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
Wow, that made me really think of this:

When someone posts something as stupid as

"Does changing the thermostat to a cooler one help any? "

There is nothing else to do but poke fun and make them cry, as they obiously know nothing about cars or how they work.

Wiring to fuses must be pretty complicated stuff!

If you really dont have all the answers, maybe you should calm down about others who dont. Not to mention, all of your wiring questions could be found from a simple search. Or on google, or whatever. But you, of course, knew that.

Go to radio shack, and they will have little clips that fit under a fuse tab. At the other end it has a section of metal that sticks out to allow you to solder wire to it.

your right, im sorry. Ill start searching more (no sarcasm here.. really)
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/01/06 03:45 AM
Audio has a couple of threads on switched sources, grommets, and wiring if you try there. Might not think about it for wiring a wideband, but some good info in there none the less.
Posted By: Barge Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/01/06 06:35 PM

So you have a 4 AWG cable running to your Wideband then? man that must have been a pain in the butt to run.

You do realize that a wideband will never ever need anywhere near 40 amps.. in fact I think mine they tell you to fuse at 3.

So when you have a short in that wire and melt the whole wire going back to the fuse and start the car on fire come back to this thread and think to yourself... man i'm an idiot.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/01/06 09:02 PM
Originally posted by M.O.A.D. Barge:

So you have a 4 AWG cable running to your Wideband then? man that must have been a pain in the butt to run.

You do realize that a wideband will never ever need anywhere near 40 amps.. in fact I think mine they tell you to fuse at 3.

So when you have a short in that wire and melt the whole wire going back to the fuse and start the car on fire come back to this thread and think to yourself... man i'm an idiot.

How do i run the wire from the battery to the starter to the guage/LC-1?

Im confused as to how i draw power from the battery but still wire it into the starter, where would i wire it? Or can i just wire it straight from the starter with a 7.5 amp fuse.

Also, can i split the wire after the fuse, so one goes to the XD-16 guage, and the other goes to the LC-1 Wideband sensor?

Edit: What happens when i want to Jump start the car (if i ever have to) is this bad for the guage?
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/01/06 10:55 PM
Innovative says 5 amps is optimal.
Posted By: TRicker Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/01/06 11:15 PM
my AEM wideband wont even work on 5 amps. IIRC it said 40 amps is optimal for it.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/01/06 11:18 PM
Why are you wiring to the starter?

For hookups: ground can be run to the battery, for switched there is an empty fuse in the fuse tray under the dash that is switched, or you can tap the ign. wire like swazo mentioned. Constant 12v can be picked up directly from the battery, or anything else that always gets power.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/01/06 11:59 PM

For hookups: ground can be run to the battery, for switched there is an empty fuse in the fuse tray under the dash that is switched, or you can tap the ign. wire like swazo mentioned. Constant 12v can be picked up directly from the battery, or anything else that always gets power.

so it starts when the car starts.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 12:15 AM
Bwahhahaha.

Tourige.. I love ya, man, but you REALLLLLY need to read up a little more.

Wire the constant to the battery, or something that always gets power (as stated) and the switched, either froma switched fuse in the fuse box, OR, run relay-fed lead from the battery.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Ray:
Bwahhahaha.

Tourige.. I love ya, man, but you REALLLLLY need to read up a little more.

Wire the constant to the battery, or something that always gets power (as stated) and the switched, either froma switched fuse in the fuse box, OR, run relay-fed lead from the battery.

lmao! i'm glad someone just said it out-right. i couldn't even understand what he was trying to accomplish

~Andrew
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 12:45 PM

so it starts when the car starts.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!

Im not even gonna reply to that. But i will give you some advice. Don't have children cuase your a freaking moron!!!
Posted By: Steeda. Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 12:47 PM
my AEM wideband wont even work on 5 amps. IIRC it said 40 amps is optimal for it.

NO it Didn't!!!

I'm starting to wonder if some of you even know what a amp is! 40 amps? HA!
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Decepticon:

NO it Didn't!!!

electrical n00bs are entertaining AND dangerous. fantastic

~Andrew
Posted By: Stazi Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 02:55 PM
40A draw for an O2 sensor...........right, what is it a space heater?!?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 05:32 PM

NO it Didn't!!!

lol, 40 amps will START the car.

The wideband heater is the part consuming the power. A couple of amps is sufficient for that but the don't want any voltage drops due to small wiring. Depending on the wideband you can use the accessory circuit for the cigarette lighter since it has a 20 amp fuse on it and you probably won't be running stuff drawing all that current.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 05:40 PM
Im just going to run a relay. Im just wondering where i should put the 5 amp fuse for the relay? on the wire running from the battery, or the wire from the relay to the guage.

Also, can i run both my power for the guage and the LC-1 from the same power source (off the relay)

Posted By: Steeda. Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 07:24 PM
do you even know how to wire a relay? LOL
Posted By: muntus Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 08:08 PM
Im just going to run a relay. Im just wondering where i should put the 5 amp fuse for the relay? on the wire running from the battery, or the wire from the relay to the guage.

Also, can i run both my power for the guage and the LC-1 from the same power source (off the relay)

Run your fuse post-relay.

Yes, but I would run a fuse to each individually.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 08:11 PM
do you even know how to wire a relay? LOL

Yes. And thanks Muntus.
Posted By: Barge Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/02/06 09:00 PM
Just remember that fuses aren't really there to protect your devices... usually too late for that. They are there to prevent you from melting the wire and burning the car down... so always size your wire according to whatever size preceeds it.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 03:44 PM
Originally posted by muntus:

Run your fuse post-relay.

Yes, but I would run a fuse to each individually.

I contacted Innovative, they said i can run both devices (LC-1 and XD-16) off of the same fuse (run the splitter after the fuse)

ALthough i question the tech support... Ill probably just run a fuse to each device.

Tonight begins the fun wiring (yay )

Should i just mount the LC-1 somewhere to the engine bay (i want to keep it nice and safe and away from the elements), it didnt come with mounting brackets so im thinking i might just get a universal bracket and drill it into the firewall.
Posted By: muntus Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 04:37 PM

Should i just mount the LC-1 somewhere to the engine bay (i want to keep it nice and safe and away from the elements), it didnt come with mounting brackets so im thinking i might just get a universal bracket and drill it into the firewall.

I ran my wires through two holes in the firewall that I drilled and then through another couple that I drilled next to the cabin air filter underneath the cowl.

My LC-1 is just floating up against my firewall without a mount. The engine wiring harness and the firewall sandwich it in place. If all else fails, use black zip ties.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 04:46 PM

I ran my wires through two holes in the firewall that I drilled and then through another couple that I drilled next to the cabin air filter underneath the cowl.

My LC-1 is just floating up against my firewall without a mount. The engine wiring harness and the firewall sandwich it in place. If all else fails, use black zip ties.

Sounds good.

Where did you wire your lap-top connecter?
Posted By: muntus Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 05:02 PM
I just shoved all the wires out of the way behind the glove box.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 05:23 PM
I just shoved all the wires out of the way behind the glove box.

Pretty much what i was thinking.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 05:54 PM
if anything catches on fire, don't panic. stay calm and nab the closest digital camera and take lots of pics!

~Andrew
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:
if anything catches on fire, don't panic. stay calm and nab the closest digital camera and take lots of pics!

~Andrew

Mhmm..

Dont you have some pictures of Lance Bass to oogle?

Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 09:14 PM

~Andrew

Mhmm..

nah, i've got taste

~Andrew
Posted By: Tourige Re: Wiring wideband. - 08/03/06 09:16 PM

~Andrew

Mhmm..

nah, i've got taste

~Andrew

hahaha

Thanks guys for all the help.
© CEG Archives