Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Have you guys seen this before...

RS500 Intercoolers on Ebay

It is exactly the same size as a Contour's stock AC condenser. I measured the depth from the front of the radiator to the hood latch bracket...almost exactly 50mm. This puppy looks like it was almost made for the Contour.

To make it work, you would need to:
Flip it upside down and backwards.
Cut off the inlet and outlet pipes and put on elbows.
Make up some mounting brackets.

All for less than $300. And they seem to be fairly plentiful on Ebay.

The only downside that I see is lag from all of the plumbing to get to/from the FMIC.

What do you guys think? Would this be better than a water-air IC?

BP
For the price it may be worth a try.
It could certainly work, but, I don't see it working better than a good air to water. I'm not terribly familiar with the RS500 specific intercoolers, but I'm pretty sure that isn't one. And further to the point, the car they show it in is a US spec 89 XR4Ti, certainly not even a Sierra, let alone a cosworth . . .
I'd say it is a great idea if you don't have an AC condenser. Go for it.
well for another $400 dollars you could do an water to air fit and plug with no lag
I wouldn't necessarily say that increased pipe legth will cause lag. Lag being something you will notice in the car. It might, but almost all turbos made use long piping through front mounts and many can be designed without noticeable lag.

My Volvo S40 is a perfect example of a turbo with ZERO lag. And I feel comfortable saying that. I also feel comfortable saying the turbo is too small. So you see, it is a balance of many things that result in the proper design of the turbo system.
Posted By: Stazi Re: RS500 FMIC for $260 - Too good to be true? - 01/03/06 01:14 PM
Blocks too much of the radiator and with how narrow the passages are it would have a big pressure drop. Pass on that one.
To be truly effective shouldn't it be a little thicker? That looks really thin, to me.
I was hoping that because of the sheer size, that the small passages wouldn't hurt too much, but you're probably right. The radiator coverage is also a good point. Overheating in street traffic would be bad.

Plus, all I need is a heat echanger to complete my current water-to-air IC. I was just thinking of the future for bigger boost/CFM goals.

Thanks,
BP
How would that block the radiator......from the looks of my car I don't have one.
Check out this resource-
Bell Intercoolers FAQ
Originally posted by Rev. Po-Jay:
Check out this resource-
Bell Intercoolers FAQ

By the way, that is a GREAT place to get custom intercoolers made. Absolutely awesome quality.
Originally posted by Bell Intercoolers FAQ:
A typical air-to-air intercooler for a street application achieves between 60% and 70% efficiency, an excellent/optimum design for road racing can approach close to 90% efficiency, but requires an adequate "budget!�

Typically, a liquid-to-air intercooler achieves higher efficiencies than an air-to-air intercooler, starting at 75% efficiency and reaching peaks of 95% efficiency. Another advantage is the optional use of ice as a coolant, which is the only way to reduce the charge-air temperature below the ambient air temperature.

Very cool info. I'm sticking with my water-to-air.

BP

© CEG Archives