Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Knock Sensor Position - 03/12/04 04:45 AM
Where does the knock sensor mount? I know on the new 3.0Ls I need to retap the threads to fit the 2.5L sensor, but I don't know which hole it goes into. I don't see anything in my Haynes about it, I'll hae to look in my Ford CD, but if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/12/04 01:16 PM
The knock sensor is on the side of the engine closest to the firewall. It's just forward of the back of the block.

Rick
Posted By: CougarGT_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/14/04 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
The knock sensor is on the side of the engine closest to the firewall. It's just forward of the back of the block.

Rick

If you have one.
My 99' 2.5L did/does NOT have one.

Both 00's I have installed headers on had them however.
Posted By: PA 3L SVT_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/14/04 08:20 PM
Originally posted by CougarGT:

Rick

If you have one.
My 99' 2.5L did/does NOT have one.

Both 00's I have installed headers on had them however.

Now that's wierd ... my 98 SVT had/'01 3L has one. I know b/c the sensor and the 3.0 block didn't match (at first).
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/15/04 12:04 AM
I've never seen a contique engine without one. Are you sure you weren't just confused becuase of the two different styles? The old style was a large plug type sensor that bolted directly to the plug and the electrical hooked to it. The new style is a round black washer type sensor that has a bolt hole through it and has the wiring attached to it.

Rick
Posted By: CougarGT_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/15/04 01:10 AM
I've never seen a contique engine without one. Are you sure you weren't just confused becuase of the two different styles? The old style was a large plug type sensor that bolted directly to the plug and the electrical hooked to it. The new style is a round black washer type sensor that has a bolt hole through it and has the wiring attached to it.

Rick

Well considering I built my 3.0L with all my 2.5L components and wiring.......

My 3.0L did not have one either. (Early 2000 Block)

It's not there.
Trust me
Posted By: svtjeff Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/15/04 02:27 AM
The block alone does not come with one installed on it - kinda like thinking the alternator comes with the block - not so.... It is only with the engine assy. If the block was used, I am sure the bone yard took it off. If the block was new, again, it would not be pia. These engines require this part. I would be a bit concerned running without it.......
Posted By: PA 3L SVT_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/15/04 03:35 AM
Originally posted by svtjeff:
These engines require this part. I would be a bit concerned running without it.......

ESPECIALLY if running a high compression hybrid. It's not a panacea for bad timing, but it will be quite useful if you need it and if it works. Like say getting the wrong grade of gas from some idiot in NJ.
Posted By: CougarGT_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/15/04 03:41 AM
Originally posted by svtjeff:
The block alone does not come with one installed on it - kinda like thinking the alternator comes with the block - not so.... It is only with the engine assy. If the block was used, I am sure the bone yard took it off. If the block was new, again, it would not be pia. These engines require this part. I would be a bit concerned running without it.......

It was a complete engine assembly, all sensors, all harnesses, etc. (and it did come with an alternator! )

Since my 2.5L harness does not have a provision for this, its not like I can add it.....

I wonder if the SSD3 PCM code even supports a knock sensor?
Posted By: CougarGT_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/15/04 03:51 AM
Pics of the 2.5L moments after it came out of my Cougar.

Like I have said, I've worked on 2.5L's that have had a knock sensor, so I know where it should be located. Once again, I have a freak!
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/15/04 04:49 AM
Its a conspiracy! Both cougars I've worked on haven't had knock sensors even though they are suppose to. Its bizzar. The svt I just fixed up with a 3L had one.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/15/04 01:13 PM
I can see in the second pic where it's supposed to go. In any case, I'd be a little hesitant to run without one, but on the other hand if it starts going off, you've probably all ready done some damage.

Rick
Posted By: ov3n_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/20/04 08:29 AM
I can see in the second pic where it's supposed to go. In any case, I'd be a little hesitant to run without one, but on the other hand if it starts going off, you've probably all ready done some damage.

Rick

Rick
You seem to be under the impression that CougarGT and Blackcoog are simply choosing not to hook the knock sensors in their cougars up.

This assumption is incorrect.

They are saying their cars do not have knock sensors, nor are there any provisions for one in the wiring harness, thus making hooking up a knock sensor impossible.

For the record, my 2002 Escape engine does have a knock sensor.. I have no idea if my 2001 Cougar has one.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/21/04 01:05 AM
I had not seen one without a knock sensor. The 99 cougar I worked on and the Roush Cougar I worked on both had them. I guess ford decided to decontent them in the latter years of the cougar then. In either case, I would most likely bet that the threaded hole is there in the block. Whether or not the harness has a plug for it, that's another story.

Rick
Posted By: DanG Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/22/04 06:21 PM
My '99 Cougar has neither the sensor nor the wiring harness for one? Build date 11/6/1998.
Posted By: CougarGT_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/22/04 08:36 PM
Originally posted by DanG:
My '99 Cougar has neither the sensor nor the wiring harness for one? Build date 11/6/1998.

My car was made 6 days before your's
Perhaps Ford forgot about the knock sensor that month
Posted By: DanG Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/22/04 08:42 PM
Originally posted by CougarGT:
Originally posted by DanG:

My car was made 6 days before your's
Perhaps Ford forgot about the knock sensor that month

Ford... Where quality is Job #1.... hundred fifty-seven thousand five hundred sixty three! </rant>
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Knock Sensor Position - 03/22/04 09:30 PM
My '99 Contour SE didn't have a knock sensor either...
© CEG Archives