Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bradSVT I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:01 AM
Alright so this weekend I drove for a total of 7 ?½ hours there and back to get an engine. From Car-Parts and from talking to the manager of the salvage yard on the phone he told me I was buying a 2001 Taurus engine with 11k on it. After looking at it and bringing it home I thought I had a 2001 engine.

Thanks to Buckshot he noticed the absence of the water pump on the front right side. Now I have to call a place that doesnâ??t speak English and wonâ??t give cash refunds to explain that they sold me the wrong motor. The engine has a date on it of 01/25/00. This really sucks. I got my entire garage organized and clean. Not sure what I am going to do now.

Any suggestions?
I could use a hug.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:05 AM
make a hybrid??
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:14 AM
im wondering if anyone here in MI has some oval port heads you can use!?
Posted By: muntus Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:19 AM
That sucks a lot, dude.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
make a hybrid??

I really wanted to do the 3.0L Oval port to match the SVT intakes.

That was my intention in the first place.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:29 AM
This is what the engine looks like:

Since its a 2000, the only modification i would have to do is get a different water pump correct?

Or should i go try to return the engine and if they wont give me my money then go to legal actions with false advertisement?
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:40 AM
take it back...
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:54 AM
Originally posted by mapoftazifoshoâ??¢:
take it back...

If I take it back most likely I will get store credit at a Plymouth and Chrysler salvage yard. That engine was the last Ford thing they carried.
Posted By: SpdySVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 05:24 AM
Originally posted by bradSVT:
Originally posted by mapoftazifoshoâ??¢:
take it back...

If I take it back most likely I will get store credit at a Plymouth and Chrysler salvage yard. That engine was the last Ford thing they carried.

well i would say .... umm being new to the 3.0 swap .. work with another water pump if you can .. also work on that oval port swap... who knows if not tell them you will get a lawyer, do you have papers saying it is an 01 taurus motor if so they sold you the motor under false pretenses and you will result to legal action and you will also sew for driving cast and loss wages cuz you took time off work .. that just a little dirty info .. i did take pre law classes in college.. anyway good luck be easy ...

SpdySVT
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 11:44 AM
FYI You didn't get screwed. Your lack of research and preparation screwed yourself.

Either sell it to someone else and hopefully break even, or go the hybrid route.
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 12:12 PM
Brad,

I've got a full set of the correct heads you need. Since you're planning on doing the SVT port matching, you've got to pull the heads anyways so it doesn't matter if you put on another set. Should be cheaper than trying to return the old motor. Also, if you were planning on having Kinger do them, I can ship them direct for you since he's only a couple hours away from me. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Brad,

I've got a full set of the correct heads you need. Since you're planning on doing the SVT port matching, you've got to pull the heads anyways so it doesn't matter if you put on another set. Should be cheaper than trying to return the old motor. Also, if you were planning on having Kinger do them, I can ship them direct for you since he's only a couple hours away from me. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks,
Rick

Nice!
Posted By: kinger_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 01:26 PM
I got a extra set of oval ports if you need them as well. really this isnt a big deal, unless you wanted the oval port heads to come with the engine.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Who the F are You?:
FYI You didn't get screwed. Your lack of research and preparation screwed yourself.

Either sell it to someone else and hopefully break even, or go the hybrid route.

Thanks buddy; actually I have done a lot of research. For not having the engine in front of me I could tell you a lot about it.

Iâ??m sorry that the salvage yard told me it was from a 2001 Taurus. I guess you canâ??t trust anyone. Oh and my bad for not noticing the water pump sooner. I got to excited that after a year of waiting that I finally got my engine.

Brad,

Thanks,
Rick

Thanks!
PM Sent

Originally posted by kinger:
I got a extra set of oval ports if you need them as well. really this isnt a big deal, unless you wanted the oval port heads to come with the engine.

Thanks!
PM Sent
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:13 PM

Thanks buddy; actually I have done a lot of research. For not having the engine in front of me I could tell you a lot about it.

Iâ??m sorry that the salvage yard told me it was from a 2001 Taurus. I guess you canâ??t trust anyone. Oh and my bad for not noticing the water pump sooner. I got to excited that after a year of waiting that I finally got my engine.

Brad,

Thanks,
Rick

Thanks!
PM Sent

Originally posted by kinger:

Thanks!
PM Sent

I understand, however, I get tired of people pointing the finger at someone else. Personally, I would have looked for those types of things before I took it home for those exact reasons.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:26 PM
I understand, however, I get tired of people pointing the finger at someone else. Personally, I would have looked for those types of things before I took it home for those exact reasons.

Very understandable I just wish I looked closer and thought about the chance of getting the wrong engine. I know the guy probably thinks he sold me a 2001 engine as well. It will just be an expensive mistake.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:31 PM

Very understandable I just wish I looked closer and thought about the chance of getting the wrong engine. I know the guy probably thinks he sold me a 2001 engine as well. It will just be an expensive mistake.

at least you didn't buy the 3.0L Vulcan (Pushrod) engine like a previous member did!
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 04:45 PM
at least you didn't buy the 3.0L Vulcan (Pushrod) engine like a previous member did!

Ya everything looked right when I checked it through really fast. I noticed the waterpump later and thought I could switch it from my 2.5, but thats more like a hybrid.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 05:27 PM
Don't worry, I did the exact same thing, but with the intent of doing a hybrid. I got a 1999 Taurus block with hopes of mating some SVT heads to it and calling it day. Then along came a deal I couldn't pass up ... free heads in exchange for some help ... 2001 Escape heads. I now have the makings of a full oval port engine. I sent the heads to kinger and now I have a head/block combo of pushing 400+ HP to the wheels.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 05:34 PM
Originally posted by fastcougar:
Don't worry, I did the exact same thing, but with the intent of doing a hybrid. I got a 1999 Taurus block with hopes of mating some SVT heads to it and calling it day. Then along came a deal I couldn't pass up ... free heads in exchange for some help ... 2001 Escape heads. I now have the makings of a full oval port engine. I sent the heads to kinger and now I have a head/block combo of pushing 400+ HP to the wheels.

Wow, looks like it worked out for you. Is that the setup your turbo is on?

Hopefully everything will work out for me too.

I called the salvage yard today to explain that they sold me the wrong year engine, the guy is doing research on it and I am calling him back in 10 minutes.

Maybe I can convince him to just refund half of my money because itâ??s an older model and not desired as much. Then I can get new heads and get Kinger to make them pretty.
Posted By: giddyup306 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 06:21 PM
Quote:

Yeah that would be bad. lol
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 06:35 PM
Update: I called the salvage yard and was told I have a 2001 engine and if I want a 2000 engine I should have told themâ?¦ya that confused me too.

The English is limited but after 20 minutes on convincing them that the water pump changed from 99â?? 00â?? in 01â?? he got fed up and told me he couldnâ??t do anything about it. He explained to me that I have 2001 engine and that a water pump is cheap. I also got threatened to give him my VIN number so he can tell me if it fits or not, he said â??Are you scared or something man?â?. I went and found a 2001 Taurus SEL VIN # off of Auto Trader, so they can see what type of engine I need to use in my car. This has been no picnic today.

Finally still not giving into giving me my money back I told him that itâ??s a false advertisement, then I got an English speaker on the phone.

I just called them to give them the VIN # so they can look it up. They said they could possibly order in the engine I need to exchange it with mine.

If this doesnâ??t work out I will just go with getting the right heads and water pump for the 01â?? Taurus engine and working from there.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 07:13 PM
He explained to me that I have 2001 engine and that a water pump is cheap.

That part right there is enough to threaten to stick a work boot up his butt for. The water pump isn't swapable from 2000 to 2001 engines because the front head is entirely a different casting! Conference me on if you need to... email me at work for a number... bnoon@avtex.com
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 07:19 PM
Even if someone does het you some 01+ heads I'd take it back just on principle alone.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Yummy Mummy:
Even if someone does het you some 01+ heads I'd take it back just on principle alone.

Ya because the price of the engine would have gone down lower since its an older model and $500 would have been expensive.

Their computers are being updated so I am put off until later on today.
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/10/06 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Russell-3L:
make a hybrid??

Ditto, it may take a tad more prep time but there is nothing inferior to a correctly done hybrid and it would probably be easier than taking it back and fighting with them to be honest. Still, he could call them just to see what they will do for him.
Posted By: procyon_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/11/06 03:12 AM
BradSVT, you only need the 2001+ level LH head to get the rear water pump setup. The RH head is fine how it is.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/11/06 04:15 AM
Originally posted by procyon:
BradSVT, you only need the 2001+ level LH head to get the rear water pump setup. The RH head is fine how it is.

Ya I need to find one of those. Buckshot has one I can buy off of him.

Update:
I gave the place the â??01 Taurus VIN# and they still told me itâ??s the same engine from â??00-â??03. But it looks like they might take the engine back for a full refund and not the 25% restocking fee they told me before.

The problem is that if I return it, I donâ??t have an engine for this swap and there are a limited number of good engines on the west coast. I have been looking for an engine under 20k preferably around 10k and this engine was supposed to be 11k.

It was $538 and $50 bucks of gas. It will be another 7 ?½ hours of driving and another $50 to return it. That brings the total from -$588 to -$100 from the driving. If I just go with getting new heads from Buckshot I will be running around -$688 then the price of gas from the first trip, so up to -$738.

I called a place for another engine today. Itâ??s in Arizona and the engine is a â??02 Taurus with 6k on it. It is $550 with core deposit and $150 to ship it to me. That brings that total to $700.

Not sure really what I should doâ?¦

I still need to either try, or pay for someone to do the port matching for my SVT UIM.
Posted By: fastcougar_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/11/06 04:34 AM
For the record, an engine's mileage is absolutely NO indication of engine condition ... only more likely to have less wear IF treated right during that time frame.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/11/06 04:57 AM
I hope that I'm not rubbing salt in a wound, but my experience with wrecking yards is that almost always they try to say that an engine is one year newer than it really is. I can't tell you how many I have sent back without allowing them to be removed from the delivery truck.

They really should be willing to be of more help here.

It sounds like you have offers to help with getting the correct heads. Why not take them up on it and be done with it.

In the mean time, file a complaint with whoever might be able with getting a partial refund. The better business bureau, the state department of consumer affairs, etc. Don't expect a refund and be pleasently surprised if one comes through.

Life's too short to spend too much time trying to force them to make it right.
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/16/06 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
I hope that I'm not rubbing salt in a wound, but my experience with wrecking yards is that almost always they try to say that an engine is one year newer than it really is.

Or the mileage is off too make the engine look better. I CarFaxed the Escape I pulled mine from. The last mileage that was reported to the DMV a few months prior was 36K.

Suprisingly, the Escape had a clean CarFax. Strange considering it was totalled.
Posted By: bradSVT Re: I got screwed. Now I need help. - 04/16/06 06:25 AM
Well I took of the UIM on the engine to see the LIM and the ports are VERY clean so I think thats good.
© CEG Archives