Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: nafunu32 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 02/28/06 05:54 PM
I just did a full 3.0 swap with escape block and taurus upper intake and throttle body. My stock cougar throttle bracket will not bolt up, so I was wondering if either a taurus or contour svt bracket would work. If so, would I need new cables or just a bracket? Thanks.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 02/28/06 06:05 PM
You need to move the SVT TB bits and cable bracket over to the Taurus/Escape TB. Need to move the butterfly over etc.

The svt bracket needs to be flipped and bent a little.

Then you'll notice this "lug" in the casting that interferes with the cam when you rotate it, i.e. it won't let it turn through a full 90�°. Solution: cut it of with dremel and cut-off wheel.

You need to use the SVT TPS with it and you need also maybe grind a bit of the plastic cam a bit as it may touch the EGR on the plastic UIM. Do this on a bench grinder, and not it doesn't effect the cam's functionality as the actual valley the cable rides in is further into the cam.
Posted By: nafunu32 Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 02/28/06 06:12 PM
I don't understand that for some reason. I'm talking about the bracket that holds the cable to the throttle and runs to the gas pedal. My current cable is long enough, its just that we have to modify the bracket to bolt to something and its not very stable.

Is this what you were talkin about?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 02/28/06 06:32 PM
You need an SVT throttle body (TB), cable and bracket. The Cougar/Contour 55mm TB is different. You need to swap all of the SVT pieces into the Taurus tb.
Posted By: Stazi Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 02/28/06 07:06 PM
Originally posted by todras:
You need an SVT throttle body (TB), cable and bracket. The Cougar/Contour 55mm TB is different. You need to swap all of the SVT pieces into the Taurus tb.

BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

Man, some people are pretty dense.
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 02/28/06 07:24 PM
Actually he doesn't need a SVT TB because he is using the IAC on the top of the plastic intake. He currently has a 3L TB on there and is trying to attach his stock bracket to the 3L TB. I've been able to get the SVT brackets to attach without much modification onto the 3L TB's but this is a modified Escape rail instead of a modified Taurus rail which I normally use. The Escape rail blocks the second hookup on the water bypass so he can't use that even if he had a SVT bracket. I used an intake manifold spacer (pressed the bolt out), which was just tall enough for the SVT TB bracket (when flipped upside down) to bolt to it. I'd think his best bet is to make a cardboard cutout of a bracket that would work and then find something at the hardware store that would work. Drill a hole in the TB bracket and bolt the new bracket to it and then to the TB. It shouldn't be a big deal.
Posted By: Stazi Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 02/28/06 07:29 PM
All he need is the SVT bracket and the SVT throttle cam/shaft. You have to make a hybrid of both.
Posted By: stilov Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 03/01/06 03:10 AM
just make it work....seriously...

I just made my own TB bracket.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 03/01/06 05:27 AM
Why is there a need for the SVT linkage?
Just use the stock taurus linkage and to make the bracket work use a little imagination cut the taurus bracket, cut the contour bracket and weld it
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 03/01/06 12:49 PM
Exactly, just make a bracket. Anything you get to work will be custom.
Posted By: Stazi Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 03/01/06 03:52 PM
You guys make it so difficult. by using the SVT trottle shaft, bracket and TPS you avoid welding and hacking anything.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 03/01/06 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
You guys make it so difficult. by using the SVT trottle shaft, bracket and TPS you avoid welding and hacking anything.

But what if you don't have an SVT Tb at your disposal?!
Posted By: Stazi Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 03/01/06 05:49 PM
sux2bu
Posted By: morbid Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 03/01/06 08:45 PM
Then use your non-svt linkage cam, and extend the Taurus shaft. Why can't you also use the TPS off your contour?
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: 3.0L Taurus Throttle Bracket? - 03/01/06 08:50 PM
Originally posted by morbid:
Then use your non-svt linkage cam, and extend the Taurus shaft. Why can't you also use the TPS off your contour?

That may work, but the standard duratec Tb is totally diff from the SVT
© CEG Archives