Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Goonz SVT CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 06:07 AM
I am sooo sick of the ru-3530..it was awesome when I first got it but now all I hear is intake..I'm sick of it..I wanna try somthing different..I really wanna get this CAI. However I'm not sure how that will react with the 3L that is being done up right now..any suggestions? or should I just suck it up and keep the ru-3530? I know CAI's have like a mellow sound and they are not loud like ram air intakes..but what u all think, will the custom cougars CAI be fine with the 3L hybrid? thanks
Posted By: zrated_dup1 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 06:14 AM
The inlet of that intake will be further away from you and on the other side of the tranny so it will be quieter and the cold air will be a good plus.

FYI it doesn't really matter what engine you are running for what intake is best.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 07:00 AM
i will say your the first ive ever heard say they dont like that intake noise. unfortunately for you, i think it is unavoidable with any open element filter.
Posted By: Redlineracer12 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 07:02 AM
I also think the CAI would be quieter, not sure how much but it would give it a noticably different tone i'm sure.
Posted By: Stazi Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 03:05 PM
That CAI would work with the 3L. It's a nice piece of work. I say get it.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 03:05 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
i will say your the first ive ever heard say they dont like that intake noise. unfortunately for you, i think it is unavoidable with any open element filter.

I love the sound man, but thats ALL I hear, nothing else, no exhaust nothing, I'm gonna keep the ru-3530 but I wanna try different things ya know
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Stazi:
That CAI would work with the 3L. It's a nice piece of work. I say get it.

coolness I think I'll get it
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 03:24 PM
that k&n filter will not fit with that intake...........its too wide for the area it goes in...ask bill(pre98) thats the one he had and we tried to use it on his intake..had to end up using the APC filter
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 03:27 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:
that k&n filter will not fit with that intake...........its too wide for the area it goes in...ask bill(pre98) thats the one he had and we tried to use it on his intake..had to end up using the APC filter

isn't there any other K&N filter that will fit over it?? this is the one we are talking about right

Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 03:31 PM
My advise is to do pre98's setup. I believe this is the one you are posting about.

Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 03:52 PM
ive been wondering this for a while, does anyone know if that setup will work with the BAT intake pipe? the CC one doesnt look as nice, especially after seeing it in person. it just looks flimsy.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 04:14 PM
the end product in the end looks veeeery veeery clean
Posted By: Pre98 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 04:27 PM
I'm with everyone on this, too. It's great. Just make sure you evenly space the pipes inside the rubber couplings, and clamp them with 3 inch bands. Just trust me and clip off the remainder of the 3 inch bands. If they are unevenly spaced, it causes more stress on the pipes that have less area inside the rubber couplings. Twice the upper curve pipe came off due to this uneven spacing. Considering you will probably have to relocate the battery, you should ziptie the two lower curve tubes to the body as well(drill two holes to loop through, if absolutely necessary) I've yet to do this but I don't really need to; the battery and fusebox keep it stuck there no matter what!

It'll look great with your new 3L, Goonz!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Pre98:

It'll look great with your new 3L, Goonz!

thanks man, I wana do this because I want to have an even amount of engine and exhaust sound. Right now all I hear is intake, I'm sick of it. THanks for the input guys..I'll order mine tonight
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:
I want to have an even amount of engine and exhaust sound. Right now all I hear is intake, I'm sick of it.

You want more exhaust sound and less from the intake..... And you bought a Borla!?!? Bassani or Trubendz would be your best friend right now!

Mark
Posted By: JustinCSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 09:14 PM
Man, the only way to make the intake less noticeable is to add more noise and the only way to add noise is to get an exhaust. A loud one preferably. Like a TruBendz unresonated Magnaflow system. Maybe some true duals. I guarantee you will not be hearing the intake as much.

Basically, you need to add more NOISE!!
Posted By: Stazi Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/26/05 10:40 PM
The Borla he will have to sell once he gets the 3L unless he doesn't want to make any power. All 3L's with 2.25" exhaust show a deficit of around 10-15hp on average, compared to those 3L with 2.5" exhausts. Basically he wasted oney on the Borla as he will never get what he pad for it and will have to buy another exhaust to suit his 3L.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/27/05 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Stazi:
The Borla he will have to sell once he gets the 3L unless he doesn't want to make any power. All 3L's with 2.25" exhaust show a deficit of around 10-15hp on average, compared to those 3L with 2.5" exhausts. Basically he wasted oney on the Borla as he will never get what he pad for it and will have to buy another exhaust to suit his 3L.

Sorry Stazi..let it go
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/27/05 07:59 AM
I've got stock piping with Magnaflow components all around...it's not loud but I would say I can hear the intake and exhaust noted about the same.
Posted By: Nate S Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/28/05 12:55 AM
Pre98- mind elaborating on what your current intake setup is?

I'm considering a CAI with my 3L as well
Posted By: Pre98 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/28/05 01:46 AM
After I met up with tour96se and thespyguy, we got to work on the project. We parked the car in 99MystiqueATX's garage and Brad drilled the hole in the fender. I suppose a few others could do a How To, if one isn't made already ZetecNinja comes to mind as another owner of the same intake iirc. I've got a plan to install another bend to a filter mounted in the front bumper fascia, behind some mesh for protection.. but it's still some time away. I have plenty of other mods to do before that.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/28/05 02:42 AM
the filter they provide..is that K&N??
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/28/05 12:23 PM
That is a very nice kit! If the filter is good, then your money is well spent. I built something similar myself but that's because there wasn't anything that nice out there.
Even if the filter is cheap you can put on a better one later.
Posted By: TrumpDrewSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/28/05 04:47 PM
it is a fairly easy install, i did it the other day.

I baught a small battery from Advanced auto, a hacksaw and a 3 1/2 circle drill-cutter bit from Home Depot, and that was it.

Use a torq's bit to take out plastic fender thingy that attached to stock airbox.

Use the hack saw to cut the battery bracket right where the fusebox rested on (closest to the driver's light), this leaves you 5 bolt locations to attach the battery bracket back.

Then, drill the hole right below and a little to the right of where the rubber circle (where the wire goes to the fog light).

After whole is drilled, reinstall new battery all the way to left of bracket, use the battery tie down to hold in place.

Then, i had to un-attach the bracket that hooks up to the negative of the battery, use tin snips to trim it down, drill a hole in it and bolted it up to the old spot where the fuse box bolted to the bracket (sits right beneath the CAI now).

Looks very clean and almost like it was made for the contour.

If anyone wants to host pics for me i can send all the pics to them, then they can cut and paste this guide to those pics so it all makes sense. PM me if you want to get my step by step pics and make this a how-to.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/28/05 04:58 PM
Originally posted by TrumpDrewSVT:

If anyone wants to host pics for me i can send all the pics to them, then they can cut and paste this guide to those pics so it all makes sense. PM me if you want to get my step by step pics and make this a how-to.

someone help him out!

Drew, go get photobucket www.photobucket.com , u can host pics on there
Posted By: TrumpDrewSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/28/05 05:04 PM
is Photo bucket free and do they send spam mail? i would rather not become a member of another service. Is it cool if i just send them to you tomorrow once i pull them off of my fiance's digital camera? If so just send me your email in PM.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/28/05 05:35 PM
Originally posted by TrumpDrewSVT:
is Photo bucket free and do they send spam mail? i would rather not become a member of another service. Is it cool if i just send them to you tomorrow once i pull them off of my fiance's digital camera? If so just send me your email in PM.

photobucket it free..I have it but I have exceeded my bandwidth thing so I can no longer use it for a month..try it out man, its free
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/31/05 05:06 AM
I have a question about this pointy thing sticking outa the pipe pictured underneath..it sticks out where the pipe is bending, what do I do about that?

Posted By: TrumpDrewSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/31/05 06:27 AM
I have a question about this pointy thing sticking outa the pipe pictured underneath..it sticks out where the pipe is bending, what do I do about that?

it comes with a plastic cap. No worries. you could put a fake small filter on it for show (i saw that some of the cougar guys were doing that).
Posted By: Pre98 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/31/05 08:09 PM
I'd imagine to only show off a mini filter and not actually run the car that way. Mine's plugged too, and I wouldn't think the MAF sensor would enjoy reading a vacuum leak, but I could be wrong. I guess that would be a neat little filter to show off though
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/31/05 08:19 PM
Run a vac tube to the valve cover where it's supposed to go. Vac. lines are there for a specific reason.
Posted By: Stazi Re: CAI and 3L..? - 05/31/05 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Pre98:
I'd imagine to only show off a mini filter and not actually run the car that way. Mine's plugged too, and I wouldn't think the MAF sensor would enjoy reading a vacuum leak, but I could be wrong. I guess that would be a neat little filter to show off though

The MAF is after that tube.
I most DEFINITELY would NOT hook up a valve cover tube to it as it'll end up smothering the MAF with oil which will wreck it and screw up the reading. If anything you could put a minifilter there, your IAT sensor or plug it - nothing else!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 01:57 AM
The intake is backordered for a month
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 03:31 AM
Get the GMK!!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Bridge:
Get the GMK!!

GMK?? what and where is that?
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 05:48 AM
GMK (GrandMasterKhan) is the original designer of this type of intake. His intake is almost identical except it is 3 inches in diameter as opposed to the CC 3.5

The 3.0 is supposed to add more power. He also makes these pipes in carbon fiber from time to time.

I got mine from him last year and haven't gotten around to installing it yet...

PM him here or on Fast Cougar and he'll hook you up.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 06:06 AM
whats the point in making it cf? does it not absorb the heat as much as alum.
Or is it total bling bling factor?
Posted By: warmonger_dup1 Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 11:38 AM
well, it will be lighter. It should transfer heat a tad slower but mostly just bling bling. It will still get just as hot.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 01:29 PM
uh, that cf one is freakin' sweet!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 03:14 PM
does the GMK come with the intake inlet pipe like the CC one does? plus how much is it? thanks
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 03:55 PM

.... until it starts to heat fade! The one reason I'd have a hard time buying a C/F IMRC cover for my car. They look awesome until they start to yellow.

Mark
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

.... until it starts to heat fade! The one reason I'd have a hard time buying a C/F IMRC cover for my car. They look awesome until they start to yellow.

Mark

well take the wind right out of my sails! good point though, didnt think about that.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:

Mark

well take the wind right out of my sails! good point though, didnt think about that.

I know the feeling. I REALLY want a C/F IMRC cover!! I guess I'll just have to pick one up and use it at shows.

Mark
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 06:09 PM
ok no one really answered my question, how much they run for and do they come with an inlet pipe like the CC CAI does
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: CAI and 3L..? - 06/01/05 08:11 PM
ok no one really answered my question, how much they run for and do they come with an inlet pipe like the CC CAI does

Originally posted by Bridge:
GMK (GrandMasterKhan) is the original designer of this type of intake. His intake is almost identical except it is 3 inches in diameter as opposed to the CC 3.5

The 3.0 is supposed to add more power. He also makes these pipes in carbon fiber from time to time.

I got mine from him last year and haven't gotten around to installing it yet...

PM him here or on Fast Cougar and he'll hook you up.

PM GrandMasterKhan!! He has ALLLLLLL of your answers!

Mark
© CEG Archives