Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Snipey Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/13/06 07:49 PM
I just picked up a set of kumho ecsta supra's from a ceg'er and im looking forward to getting them mounted on my e1's.

my concern is that they are replacing my only other tires that are worn and dry-rotted. i only have one set of wheels so they would most likely be my all-seasons. monetarily i dont think remounting tires is worth it twice a year(id also have to buy new winter tires if i did that)

i know they are designated for summer, but does this mean they are 100% crap in snow, or can i live with them for a few months if i play it safe

will the summer tires be of little to no use for me once it gets cold?..snowy..icy? im not planning on buying new winter tires as well so if they wont be of use im going to have to change the plans. (was maybe thinking getting some nice wheels for strictly summer use, and saving the e1's for winter)
thanks in advance

.Snipey
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/13/06 07:54 PM
They will be no use at all in the snow. I've tried it.

Drive only when roads are cleared perfectly, otherwise you need some all-seasons or snows.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/13/06 08:31 PM
yeah, summer rated tires are worthless in the snow, they don't even have a snow rating, this past weekend Cobra talked about how he pulled his SVT out of the garage in the snow with SO3's on the car and he just slid right down his driveway, and couldn't get it back up until the used the sand/salt mix to make paths for the wheels down to pavement
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/13/06 11:45 PM
That is BS. I drove my Contour 3 out of 5 years with summer tires in winter.....all winter.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/14/06 12:10 AM
Originally posted by EVOLUTION VIII:
That is BS. I drove my Contour 3 out of 5 years with summer tires in winter.....all winter.

Sorry, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I know it can be done, but very risky.

Driving with Ecsta Supra 712's, I slowed down very slow from waaay back coming to a red light, and all it would do was kick in the ABS and slide forward towards the other cars. I stopped with only inches between me and the next car.

Next intersection I had to stop at, I ended up sliding straight into the middle, pulled the e-brake to try and avoid it once I realized I wasn't going to stop, but instead did a 180 and was looking at the cars at the light I was supposed to be stopped at. Thank god the other cars saw me sliding and didn't attempt to go when the light turned green.

That was my first and last time attempting to drive on those in snow. All-season were installed within a few weeks. I upgraded even more to Blizzak WS-50 because I was having trouble starting on inclines and getting up my driveway. Getting a push into the garage everytime it snowed was not fun.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/14/06 12:20 AM
Originally posted by SVT4STD:
Driving with Ecsta Supra 712's, I slowed down very slow from waaay back coming to a red light, and all it would do was kick in the ABS and slide forward towards the other cars. I stopped with only inches between me and the next car.

I would slow way down driving in dry/wet if I had 712s.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/14/06 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Originally posted by SVT4STD:

I would slow way down driving in dry/wet if I had 712s.

Have them right now....they are good for AWD powerslides in the rain.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/14/06 01:27 AM
Don't do it. If you're contemplating it, check Tirerack to check snow rating of the tires you are considering using in snow.

If anything, pick up a set of steelies/non-SVT wheels for cheap and slap some decent all seasons on them.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/14/06 01:53 AM
I have snow tires for sale. 15"
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/14/06 12:12 PM
What summer tires did you drive in the snow? Most decent summer tires are very poor on dry pavement below freezing, and literally worthless on snow.
Posted By: bensenvill Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/14/06 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
What summer tires did you drive in the snow? Most decent summer tires are very poor on dry pavement below freezing, and literally worthless on snow.

I went the whole winter on a set of bfgoodrich gforce kdw's.... I DONT recommend it, I had to be very mindfull of the weather I was driving in and there were a couple occasions that were a bit scary. [oh, I dont have abs or traction control]. if the winter was any less mild, I would not have done this.

even when its cold out, those tires lose alot of their traction
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/14/06 11:43 PM
No, summer tires should NOT be used in the winter. You might as well be on ice in 1/4 inch of snow. Dead serious, not exagerating.
Posted By: Snipey Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/15/06 01:27 AM
Yikes, thanks everyone for the info... i think i decided im going to put the kumho supras on my e1's and find some lesser rims to hold my winter tires... maybe find some cheap e0's or just anything cheap.
oh and the kumho supra's had an N/A for all winter conditions rating no thank you to that! i prefer to have traction when rally-driving in the snow
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/15/06 07:07 AM
u can have a completely clear winter and summer tires will still suck in winter. it isnt just snow on the ground that affects them. when the temp gets down usually before 40f the rubber in summer tires becomes useless. the reason they r so good in summer is the reason they suck so bad in winter. and also why winter tires suck in warmer weather. tire compound plus tread pattern. can u get by in a snowless winter with summer tires, yes. would i want u driving behind me when u have to hit your brakes hard, hell no.
Posted By: Berkel Re: Summer Tires...useless in winter? - 06/15/06 06:45 PM
Don't use summer tires in the winter, bad experience

Was going 60 on a highway and saw cars braking about 100ft ahead and my ABS stayed on for a good 7 seconds before hitting dry gravel, scary .. and i also flew through a stop sign going about 20,, barely missing a car, and launched up someone's driveway.. i bought winter tires by then Any snow at all and traction is gone.
© CEG Archives