Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Well I finally wore out my Yokohama's from 2 years ago. I purchased (4) Four Sumitomo HTRII Z's and mounted the front 2 yesterday.

So right now I have (2) Two Sumitomo 205/40/17 tires on the front and on the rear I have (2) Yokohama 225/40/17's (I can only take 2 wheels down to the tire place at a time because they **** my car up if they try to raise it). Now I am smacking my Mirko everywhere I go. Not to mention now it looks like I have donuts on the front.

Is this normal? My rims look really weird now, they are Enkei DM-5's and they really look like the rim is sticking out further than the tire.

Will putting my other (2) Two 205/40/17's on the back help even out the car to where I wont smack my Mirko anymore?

I dont know how differnt tire companies can have totally different side wall sizes when they both say '40', I now my car is way lower now.

Also is it okay to put 205/40/17's on my enkei rims?

Thanks
WAAAAAY too narrow - you'll get that stupid too-wide-rim look and you roll-over the sidewall when cornering - best you take those tires back and geet 225's instead.
Thats the problem, I have horrible rubbing issues with 225's

Anyone know what Tire racks policy is on returning tires?

I drove the car pretty hard on a wide industrial road yesterday and they didnt have any problems handeling it. Really that big of a danger?
Rubbing with 225's? Where - lemme guess the rear? If so look at my "rolling the fenders" sticky.
Originally posted by CSVT985:

I dont know how differnt tire companies can have totally different side wall sizes when they both say '40', I now my car is way lower now.

Well they do. It's the way it is. 215/45/17 is what most of us run. At least 225/45/17's.
Originally posted by Stazi:
Rubbing with 225's? Where - lemme guess the rear? If so look at my "rolling the fenders" sticky.

I went one step further, I actually cut them off with my dremel

I dont know why, I have always rubbed and I am sick of it, I bet 215's would have done it but they were $80 apiece where as the 205's where only $59 apeace.

I know price should not be a motive, but I am strapped for cash and these seemed okay for the time being. If they let me exchange with 215/40/17 I would do it, but since I have already driven on these, I dont think I can get a swap.
Originally posted by CSVT985:

Thats beacause the '40' does not represent a numerical measurement of the sidwall, it is proportionate to the width of the tire. 205/40 is going to be way shorter than 225/40 (almost 1/3 of an inch)

Oh, that makes sense now. Thank you.
40% of 225 = bigger sidewall than 40% of 205
Check out this tire calculator this might help you understand.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
© CEG Archives