Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: MazTour Polishing E1 rims? - 08/14/05 12:38 PM
As we all know,the E1 rims are aluminum,but painted silver. I've been thinking about stripping the paint and ploshing the wheels so they come out as nice bare polished aluminum,which will look pretty nice imo. Has anyone done this?

A guy I know has a Mazda RX7 Turbo,and it had the stock rims when he bought it,and the stock aluminum rims are just fugly,but they were polished down to bare aluminum and they looked absolutely beautiful. Hopefully I can do that with my E1's and add a little bling and make them look a little more unique.
Posted By: 98Ford2L Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/14/05 03:43 PM
Sounds like it be cool! You should try it.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/14/05 03:45 PM
you could try some wheel acid (which we use to clean rims at Mazda).we only leave them on for a minute then we hose it off.....im sure that stuff will strip the paint....then you could polish them.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/14/05 04:26 PM
I doubt it.
Posted By: esveetee Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/14/05 04:42 PM
if you do it, put up some results. if they turn out that would look great I bet.

I'd probably do it myself if it works
Posted By: ExDelayed_dup1 Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/15/05 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Marky:
I doubt it.

I agree, it will probably just damage the paint. A soft media blast (not sand) would provide a lot less work, and it would be cleaner.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/15/05 12:49 AM
Wow,so nobody has actually done it before? I'm thinking they would look really nice and shiny if they came out well.

I'm not worried about damaging the paint or anything if I screw up,because I can always repaint them,or have them powdercoated,plus they already have some nicks and stuff on them,so no worries. When I've got some spare time,maybe I'll look deeper into this and see what I can do with 'em.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/15/05 04:14 AM
Someone's done it. I've seen it.
Posted By: snakous Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/15/05 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
Someone's done it. I've seen it.

prove it!
Posted By: Woodencross Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/15/05 06:14 AM
I'd like to see how this looks too...
Posted By: Swazo Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/15/05 07:40 AM
Originally posted by SleeperTour:
As we all know,the E1 rims are aluminum,but painted silver. I've been thinking about stripping the paint and ploshing the wheels so they come out as nice bare polished aluminum,which will look pretty nice imo. Has anyone done this?

A guy I know has a Mazda RX7 Turbo,and it had the stock rims when he bought it,and the stock aluminum rims are just fugly,but they were polished down to bare aluminum and they looked absolutely beautiful. Hopefully I can do that with my E1's and add a little bling and make them look a little more unique.

Try the search button, it works wonders
Posted By: MazTour Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/15/05 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Swazo:

that was really....uh....helpful....

Kremit,did they look any good?

My car is going in next spring for custom paint and body work,so maybe the guy doing it can look into the wheels for me.
Posted By: Fmr12B_dup1 Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/15/05 10:53 PM
I have a set of Factory Chrome E1's, came on car from dealer when bought new. May very well have been a dealer installed option.

Also, I have actually seen one other car with chrome E1's. Saw on a car in a parking lot to a person who I know doesn't post here.

So I know 2-sets exist.

Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/16/05 03:10 AM

Yeah. Maybe FMR has a picture.
Posted By: stilov Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/16/05 04:08 AM
The older MKIII SUpra guys do it to their wheels...I did it to mine back in the day...stripped the paint with Aircraft paint remover in an aerosol can...then just buffed the wheel and it was mirror-like...it was very smooth underneath already...so grinding or polishing needed (granted they were Supra wheels, but you may get lucky)
Posted By: Swazo Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/16/05 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Swazo:

that was really....uh....helpful....

My car is going in next spring for custom paint and body work,so maybe the guy doing it can look into the wheels for me.

For someone who couldn't figure out that they need paint stripper to..... strip paint, I'm sure you need a step by step how-to/hand holding to get something like this done. Search outside of CEG, there is TONS of info on polishing aluminum wheels Eastwood Company makes an awsome kit, as does POR15.
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/24/05 04:35 AM
I say do it and it would be another first in the CEG. Who knew there'd be "first" this far into the life of the CEG
Posted By: 1314_dup1 Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 08/25/05 10:33 AM
Fmr12B - you're talking about chrome wheels. He's asking about polishing the wheels. I'm sure there are plenty of sets of wheels that have been chromed.

As Swazo's link pointed out, I stripped two E1 wheels of their finish. The aluminum is not smooth underneath and was pitted and very rough. It would take more than just stripping the paint and adding some polish to get them to look good. Unfortunately, I never had the time to finish the job. Maybe one day I'll get back to it, but it will require work.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 02/14/06 10:07 PM
A chrome set has been found!!! it's actually for sale in the classifieds, and i gotta say E1's look pretty cool in chrome.

Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 02/15/06 08:21 PM
Originally posted by 1314:
The aluminum is not smooth underneath and was pitted and very rough. It would take more than just stripping the paint and adding some polish to get them to look good.

I wonder how anodizing the wheels would work out...?
Posted By: jtour Re: Polishing E1 rims? - 02/16/06 03:15 PM
Chrome E1's =

© CEG Archives