Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: bnails longer wheel studs? - 04/15/05 02:51 AM
does anyone know if you can buy longer wheel studs, or where to buy the? cause i just purchaced 5/16" wheel spacers, but the origional studs are not long enough to safely secure wheel back on.
Posted By: elraido Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/15/05 03:03 AM
They do make them....I have some on my car. I don't know where you can get them because the rims came with the car when I bought it.
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/15/05 03:14 AM
you can also get lug nuts w/ longer sleeves and keep the OEM studs

out of curiosity, how is this Duratec maintenance related?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/15/05 03:24 AM
if he owns a Duratec, and he is maintaining the studs on the car (replacing, repairing, or removing) then it is DURATEC maintenance..

(don't repair...lol)

BTW:

I can get lug nuts for .50 a piece.. chrome, acorn style. They run 3.99 a piece at Autozone.. let me know if anyone needs them..

Ray
Posted By: woz_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/15/05 04:01 AM
The studs from a 99 touris (spelling) will work.

You have to grind off part of the head of the longer stud (one side only) to get it to fit past the hub. You can ask Todd from TCE for exact info.

FYI: once you place spacers the car is much more sesitive to potholes ex..

You realy should go with larger rims.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/15/05 08:35 PM
If you require spacers and longer studs the wheel studs you need are from 92-86 Mazda RX-7

Item Number: 610-341
Description: Wheel Studs
Brand: DORMAN
Application: Mazda 92-86
Type : Serrated Stud
Thread : M12-1.5
Knurl Dia. : 13.08mm
Length : 52mm
Shoulder Length : 25.5mm

Yes you will have to grind off about a 1/16" at the most on one edge to get them past the hub as mentioned...it's no big deal. You just need to make a little flat spot on the edge...dremel, file, beltsander all work fine.
Posted By: EternalOne Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/18/05 08:20 PM
Or just order the H&R spacer kit, which comes with studs that are mated to the spacers. I just put 15mm spacers all the way around on mine, and have plenty of threads for my wheels with the new studs.

E1
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/18/05 09:09 PM
Originally posted by woz:
PS: I hate ALL Ford Dealers

Even Tousley and Signature?

Ray
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/18/05 11:54 PM
Originally posted by EternalOne:
Or just order the H&R spacer kit, which comes with studs that are mated to the spacers. I just put 15mm spacers all the way around on mine, and have plenty of threads for my wheels with the new studs.

E1

I would have done that, but I only needed 13mm spacers and I think H&R have 15mm-16mm as a step up from 10 mm. I just had some custom ones made instead.
Posted By: csc99svt Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/19/05 03:12 PM
serious question here....could you not just take a lugnut and go to a local hardware store and buy new bolts....like a grade 8 or stainless...would that work? be cheaper too...
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/19/05 03:40 PM
Originally posted by csc99svt:
serious question here....could you not just take a lugnut and go to a local hardware store and buy new bolts....like a grade 8 or stainless...would that work? be cheaper too...

I think what your saying in this post is just going to a local hardware store and buy some same thread bolts that are longer. Theres no knurl on regular bolts like this. These bolts are pressed in for a reason.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/19/05 08:15 PM
NAPA 641-3131 or 641-2169. The 641-3131 has a knurl that is about 0.002" larger than stock. I believe the 641-2169 is a few thousandths less than stock. You will have to remove some material from the head in order to fit them onto the hub.
Posted By: EternalOne Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/19/05 08:51 PM

There's a ton to take into consideration with lug studs. Thread pitch, diameter, head type, and length. You'd be hard pressed to find what you need. =)

Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
I would have done that, but I only needed 13mm spacers and I think H&R have 15mm-16mm as a step up from 10 mm. I just had some custom ones made instead.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, they only make 5mm, 10mm, 15mm, and 30mm spacers for 4x108 -- but they all come with extended lug studs making it a bit easier.

Also, you can simply use an extra lug nut on the stud with an impact wrench to press these in with ease. Took about 3 minutes per side to do mine this way.

E1
Posted By: csc99svt Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/21/05 01:15 PM
Originally posted by EternalOne:

There's a ton to take into consideration with lug studs. Thread pitch, diameter, head type, and length. You'd be hard pressed to find what you need. =)

Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, they only make 5mm, 10mm, 15mm, and 30mm spacers for 4x108 -- but they all come with extended lug studs making it a bit easier.

Also, you can simply use an extra lug nut on the stud with an impact wrench to press these in with ease. Took about 3 minutes per side to do mine this way.

E1

i know how to find a bolt, i worked in hardware for 6+ years coming up in high school and some college....my question was serious cause i wanted to know for myself....i have never looked at the back of the wheel hub to see how the bolts are inserted into the hub and through the rotor...so i wanted if a hardware store item would work....what are studs closest to? hex, carriage, sqaure, i was just wanting to know...
Posted By: LBVSVT_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/23/05 01:29 AM
I used Napa 641-3131 on my car. They're not too long that I can't take the spacers off as well if I want to.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: longer wheel studs? - 04/25/05 03:34 AM
/
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: longer wheel studs? - 03/20/06 06:39 PM
I'm going to get some longer studs to fit my aftermarket wheels better. I found the NAPA and Dorman parts that are for the Mazdas - 52mm long. The problem is that they have a longer head. Will these fit my steelies? I need to have enough thread to get my nuts torqued down even when I have on the much thinner stock wheels.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: longer wheel studs? - 03/21/06 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
... to get my nuts torqued down ...

Haven't had much sleep lately & that portion of a sentence made me laugh. Geez, time for bed, I'm old & tired...

© CEG Archives