Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: J-Lab_dup1 Teaser!!: FSVT front brakes installed!!! - 10/21/02 01:32 AM
Well, I just got home a few hours ago from our local CEG meet in Burlington, VT, and I had the pleasure to help not one, but TWO fellow CEG'ers successfully install, shim, bleed, and road test their front Focus SVT brake kits.

I could tell you who they were, and post pics, but then I'd be stealing their thunder, now wouldn't I?!

I'm sure they will be posting them soon...
Do they bolt straight on? If not what modifications do they require. BTW i'm jealous.
They bolt on, but need shims between the caliper mounting brackets, and the knuckle mounting points. Not to mention minimum 16" wheels to clear the calipers. Besides that, its a direct swap.
Posted By: TGO Re: Teaser!!: FSVT front brakes installed!!! - 10/21/02 02:54 PM
Jeff is right you guys, all that's required to bolt up these brakes are some Home Depot special lock washers ($1.89). 1/2" Stainless, medium split lock washers. You need 4. They are in a brown bag (2per). I can get a pic if some people are really having problems finding them. Other than that, you don't need anything else. OE bolts work just fine, they are plenty long.

Overall, I like them. My original rotors were completely shot (jeff can attest to that ) and I decided to go with the focus setup because in the end it cost $360 from Bill Jenkins. A great upgrade for the price. We also swapped out my original fluid for ATE super blue race fluid. I think all I need now are some good pads all around...the stock SVT rears look REAL small now!!!!

I was wondering who was going to post about this first...looks like Jeff is the whore!

Thank you jeff for all your help, you are the spring clip king!!!

Pics are coming soon you guys, we've got some pics of the install as well as some nice rolling shots. also some pics of jeff's badass mystique
Whats the difference in brakes? Are they the 300mm rotor with your stock caliper or did you get FSVT calipers as well? Whats the difference in calipers if you got new ones?What was included for the $360?? Thanks! And way to pioneer!
Posted By: TGO Re: Teaser!!: FSVT front brakes installed!!! - 10/21/02 07:34 PM
2 11.xx" SVTF Rotors, 2 SVT F Calipers (bigger to accomodate the 1+ inch bigger swept area.)
I know brake basics, but not enough to answer this.

The big problem with the FSVT setup has been the necessary shimming, via plates or washers. In such a setup, how important is it to shim the caliper enough that the rotor is PERFECTLY centered between pads? Do the inner and outer pad only work in equal proportion, or do they essentially work individually in terms of distance they can travel?

We're spending money to gain braking performance, and it would be a shame to find that because of slightly off centered mounting, the inner or outer pad is only achieving, say 70%, of its potential.

Thanks ahead of time for the theoretical disc brake lesson.

Brian Dors
99 SVT
Posted By: TGO Re: Teaser!!: FSVT front brakes installed!!! - 10/21/02 08:32 PM
Well, if you don't shim them that's the problem you will have..if you even manage to get your car moving. With the spacers, we center the caliper over the rotor. Differences in space between rotor and pad, if any, are tiny...too small to see with the eye. If there are, the pads will merely wear down until they are even. so far so good...definitely better.

my car

Chris Arslanyan

More install pics to come.
Ok, so just what is the increase in rotor diameter?
And what calipers are you using, the Contours or the Focus?

Reasons for asking?

Well, first a slight increase in rotor diameter will net only minimal performance gains. I'd say it'll take about an inch of diameter to calculate out any value.
Next, if you are plannig to use the Focus calipers, compare the piston diameters. (I have this at the shop, but not on hand at home) if the Focus is smaller you'll have less clamp loading on said rotor.
Lastly, if the larger pad looks good, that's fine, but it does not have any effect on the ability of the brake system. It'll just last longer.

So if I were looking into this I'd dig a bit deeper before I'd shell out any money for the parts. I'll be happy to offer up the numbers for you tomorrow if you wish.
If you do decide to go this route I made up a set of spacers for someone and we can certainly do a quantity run if there is enough interest.
Posted By: TGO Re: Teaser!!: FSVT front brakes installed!!! - 10/22/02 03:19 AM
Taken from a previous post from Todd to me and Chris, just so nobody says I'm dishing out unjust sarcasm.

In reply to:

I'm thinking you guys can't read....

As posted above, parts we used are the FSVT Rotors AND Calipers.

The rotors are more than an inch bigger, calipers are alot beefier as well. I haven't got any measurements on the piston diameter. They definitley aren't smaller. Bottom line is they stop alot better than the stock SVT brakes, and they're a cheap upgrade. I don't tihnk we'll be needing any special made spacers either as we've discovered they're readily, and cheaply available, thanks though.

If people are interested in getting spacers made however, I recommend contacting Elky, he sent me a "prototype" spacer and while we wound up not using them due to a snafu on our end, they were very high quality.
No offense taken, (!) just didn't see hard numbers on this thread anywhere.
I can see the caliper in use is larger than what I recall from the stock Focus part. That's good. I'll dig out some sizes on what I know tomorrow.
Maybe we can find out the size somewhere. The package certainly looks to fill the wheel quite well and I'm sure this alone will make many people happy.
As an off shoot of this one again, I'd wonder if the Focus has a slightly larger mc in it on the SVT version. That, like the bolt pattern offers me some insight to the Focus package....I'd bet if the calipers you have are in fact larger bores that the Focus has a 25mm on it like your car. The stock Focus is only 15/16 thus has little room for larger calipers.
That is great...thanks guys! My car is in dire need of new pads and rotors. Looks like this is the upgrade path for me. You guys think about doing a write up or an article to put up on this website?

L8R
Posted By: TGO Re: Teaser!!: FSVT front brakes installed!!! - 10/22/02 03:02 PM
We're just waiting to get all of the install pics together. It's really straight forward but if an article or how to is needed, sure why not.
In reply to:

Bottom line is they stop alot better than the stock SVT brakes, and they're a cheap upgrade.

Can you explain what you mean by this statement? I like the package aesthetically but am having trouble understanding what performance value it will give me. If you step on an SVT's brakes hard, ABS will kick in. So stopping power is limited at the friction point where the tire meets the road. Perhaps the FSVT brakes feel better? Being larger they should handle repetitive stops better, so I could see their track use. I do plan on getting to Mid Ohio in the spring so less resistance to fade there would be good.

Brian Dors
99 SVT
that's because your tires are locking up. In the two years I've had my CSVT I can't remember the ABS kicking in. but if your just slamming your brakes on for shits & giggles I can understand. And used properly, a bigger rotor will give you better stopping power.

Bigger Rotor = More Leverage.

Originally posted by bxd20:
In reply to:

Bottom line is they stop alot better than the stock SVT brakes, and they're a cheap upgrade.

If you step on an SVT's brakes hard, ABS will kick in. Brian Dors
99 SVT
In reply to:

that's because your tires are locking up. In the two years I've had my CSVT I can't remember the ABS kicking in. but if your just slamming your brakes on for shits & giggles I can understand. And used properly, a bigger rotor will give you better stopping power.

Bigger Rotor = More Leverage.

You are spot on, at extreme braking levels the tires are not able to produce enough friction. Either your trained foot is keeping the pedal right at the limit of adhesion, or ABS kicks in and does so to the best of its ability.

With either setup, the coefficient of friction at the tires is the limiter, and thus both setups will achieve the same stopping distances with a skilled driver and brake components that are not overheated.

As the brakes heat up by repeated use the CSVT brakes will start loosing out to the FSVT brakes due to fade.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, I'm just bringing some physics into this. I myself will likely do the mod. But for an average driver this upgrade is more cosmetic than anything else. Now I'll admit CEG members aren't average, drive pretty hard, so they may notice the difference during spirited driving or track sessions.

And if you haven't kicked in ABS once in two years, you're not pushing the car very hard. Either that or you are the greatest driver in the world. Even F1 drivers lockup their brakes accidentally, probably more than once a race.

Brian Dors
99 SVT
The main reason why I installed the FSVT system was b/c I could not justify a full blown race-brake kit, for my manly street driven SVT. Plus, my OE calipers were on their way out. My LF was partially seized and was beginning to operate in an unsafe manner. Plus, they weren't much more than a full CSVT system, IIRC.
Sounds like a very smart move to me Chris....

Originally posted by Chris Arslanyan:
The main reason why I installed the FSVT system was b/c I could not justify a full blown race-brake kit, for my manly street driven SVT. Plus, my OE calipers were on their way out. My LF was partially seized and was beginning to operate in an unsafe manner. Plus, they weren't much more than a full CSVT system, IIRC.

Of course I meant mainly, not manly.
sorry for butting in, bit ot but u guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the focus parts, will stock focus rotors fit my stock se brakes? focus central has some neat slotted / dimpled rotors i'd like to get because mine are warped, now thats driving!! (that and going through 2 sets of pads in less than 20k)
Can someone give me some Part #'s? Or did I miss it?

Thanks!!
Posted By: TGO Re: Teaser!!: FSVT front brakes installed!!! - 10/23/02 06:32 PM
Matt, they should fit just fine, since you have the 16" SVT wheels which are needed for clearance issues. However, just putting the bigger rotor on would be pointless...for one it wouldn't fit, but then you still have a smaller pad/caliper, which kinda defeats the purpose. Not to mention to make the stock svt caliper work you'd need some sort of bracket to raise it up. You'll need the SVTF calipers AND rotors. Chris A. should have all the part numbers, I've only got the caliper boxes so those are the only numbers Ihave. You cna always contact bill jenkins, he'll know exactly what you need.
Quick question because I as well would like to upgrade my brakes but dont really see the need for a race spec setup like willwood and Bear and dont much like the price tag either... Are there any aftermarket rotors that we could get to go along with FSVT calipers like cross drilled or gas slotted... That would be better for aesthetic reasons of course.... And I see the price was about 360$ but how much for just the Calipers and then what kind of price are we looking at for some cross drilled or slotted FSVT rotors???
Posted By: TGO Re: Teaser!!: FSVT front brakes installed!!! - 10/23/02 07:47 PM
This is the other plus I was thinking of when doing this. Anything that bolts up to the SVTF should fit our cars in the same manner...only issue is wheel clearance (16" wheels vs the 17" of the focus). I saw some slotted/drilled rotors posted for the focus a while back, but this was more practical. Also, i wouldn't buy anything that requires spacers to bolt up to the focus in the first place, cause you'll need more to make them fit the contour which = bad. I have the bill at home i cna itemise the ford parts for you, aftermarket stuf fI have no idea on price.
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
Matt, they should fit just fine, since you have the 16" SVT wheels which are needed for clearance issues. However, just putting the bigger rotor on would be pointless...for one it wouldn't fit, but then you still have a smaller pad/caliper, which kinda defeats the purpose. Not to mention to make the stock svt caliper work you'd need some sort of bracket to raise it up. You'll need the SVTF calipers AND rotors. Chris A. should have all the part numbers, I've only got the caliper boxes so those are the only numbers Ihave. You cna always contact bill jenkins, he'll know exactly what you need.

I'm talking about rotor replacements for the focus SE / zx3-5, not SVT... wonderin if they're the same size as my SE brakes? i know the svt rotors are bigger.. i drive with small wheels in the winter though so that wont do...
Cool! I didn't think that they would fit under the 16"CSVT wheels.
NOW I can consider this upgrade when my fronts are shot. Can't afford to do wheels tires and brakes all at once. probably will stick with my 16"ers anyway.

Are there any issues with the ABS systems FSVT vs. CSVT.
I think they are both 4 channel bosch? So I guess it would all work out the same? Just wanted to be sure.

Mike
Very nice you guys got it working! I think I'll save my money for the Wilwood kit though. They're just a tag more money and same stock size, but they're a hell lot lighter and look better.
Still waiting on pix, before a nice writeup, but the longer bolt part number is W500443-S426.
© CEG Archives