Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TheGreatOne Focus SVT brakes - 06/25/02 12:55 AM
Since I'm in need of some new rotors...I figure some nice 11" rotors and matching calipers from the Focus SVT would be a good upgrade/replacement without shelling out mega bucks for a 3rd party setup. Question is...will they bolt right up, or are there any modifications needed, and if so, what? laugh
Posted By: Rara Re: Focus SVT brakes - 06/25/02 02:05 AM
I'm pretty sure they will bolt right up, if you get the caliper, caliper bracket, pads, and the rotor.
But don't quote me, as I have not had parts in hand to try it with.
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 06/25/02 02:31 AM
Yeah i've been silently waiting for someone to try it, figure out the bugs, and tell us about them...but nothings happening so hopefully I will spike someone's interest!
Posted By: timeless420 Re: Focus SVT brakes - 06/25/02 02:53 AM
Wanna fund my interest. I'm espically interested as AEM now had a big brake kit that uses the stock calipes as well.

All you would need if everything bolts up is the FSVT calipers, and the AEM brackets and 2-piece rotors. I'm just excited about the possiblitly of bigger rotors/better performance without having to use spacers. Right now I'm not too impressed with my KVR rotors. They seem to like to expand at different rates when pushed hard on the track and warp, but after they cool down they are fine. Then again...maybe I need to stop going into corners so deep :rolleyes:
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/17/02 01:38 AM
any new info on this? I'm getting prices fro mbill jenkins, but I'm really hoping i won't be wasting time/money on this.
Posted By: Bicycle019 Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/17/02 03:51 AM
If the rotor thickness is not much different than ours, you could possibly get away with only needing the rotors and the correct bracket to remount your calipers the correct distance away for the bigger rotor diamater. I know BAT is offering an 11" option for their Wilwood kit and my $ is on them using FSVT rotors for the kit...
Posted By: Mani Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/17/02 04:19 AM
Aren't CSVT brakes almost 11"'s ?
Posted By: louisw Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/17/02 04:55 AM
280mm, or yes, approx 11".
Posted By: javaContour Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/17/02 12:01 PM
SVT Focus brake specs from SVT website:

BRAKES

Front: 300mm (11.8 in.) vented disc, single-piston caliper
Rear: 280mm (11.0 in.) disc, single-piston caliper
ABS: Four-channel, four sensor system

And for "TheGreatOne" you could probably safely buy them. If it doesn't fit, a trip over to the FocalJet boards.

Or even better yet, team up with someone over there who wants the brakes, and let them know what you are doing, maybe they will back you up and buy them from you if it doesn't work on your Contour.

TB
Posted By: Phil Rohtla Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/17/02 03:52 PM
Another big question is will they fit under the 16-inch SVT Contour rims?
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/17/02 04:15 PM
yes they will...a focus guy has a set of E1 wheels that he uses on his Focus SVT for winter. They fit under the wheels.

EDIT: I was lead to believe the Focus brakes are better than the stock contour...rotors might be the same size, but are the calipers not different? I need new rotors regardless...I'd like to get some extra stopping power as well, but nothing over the top (like an $800+ baer kit or something). If it's really not worth the trouble, can I get bigger rotors, or does anyone recommend the slotted/drilled BAT rotors? And perhaps some better pads (recommendations please)?
Posted By: javaContour Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/17/02 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatOne:
yes they will...a focus guy has a set of E1 wheels that he uses on his Focus SVT for winter. They fit under the wheels.

EDIT: I was lead to believe the Focus brakes are better than the stock contour...rotors might be the same size, but are the calipers not different? I need new rotors regardless...I'd like to get some extra stopping power as well, but nothing over the top (like an $800+ baer kit or something). If it's really not worth the trouble, can I get bigger rotors, or does anyone recommend the slotted/drilled BAT rotors? And perhaps some better pads (recommendations please)?
Well they are bigger.

The SVT specs are "around"

280mm rotors up front (some say 278mm)
and ~253 rotors in back. So, essentially 11" up front and 10" in back.

So, the SVT Focus has slightly bigger brakes.

Dunno 'bout the calipers.

TB
Posted By: Rara Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/18/02 07:31 PM
well, a friend said he will loan me an SVTF caliper and rotor for a test fit on the contour, so we will see.
Posted By: stan750rr Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 12:11 AM
I'd be interested in a FSVT brake swap also. laugh I'll be needing brakes within the next year or sooner.
Posted By: GreenLantern Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 02:34 AM
Hey hold on before you buy those I was looking for some rotors for my Mystique and found a place that has Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors for our cars and wants $130.00 for the pair.

Call this Number 1-877-832-0194 EXT. 3291
Tell them You were told you could get rotors for $130.00 shipped. They look great!
bolt pattern 4X108
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 02:50 AM
Rara, be swift like lightning! I have an appointment at watkins glen on the 19th of august!
Posted By: Rara Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 12:53 PM
lol, well, I'm gonna be out of town until tuesday, so likely it will be next weekend at best before I can find out.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure they will fit, but I'm going to verify.

fwiw, I may have a cheap source for these brake parts, and maybe some of the SVTF wheels as well if this all works out. (friend of mine races foci, and one of his sponsors gets him super cheap parts)
Posted By: Rara Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenLantern:
Hey hold on before you buy those I was looking for some rotors for my Mystique and found a place that has Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors for our cars and wants $130.00 for the pair.

Call this Number 1-877-832-0194 EXT. 3291
Tell them You were told you could get rotors for $130.00 shipped. They look great!
bolt pattern 4X108
No, you see, we are talking about parts that actually IMPROVE braking performance, not just increase your pimp factor (which the Contour/Mystique is inherently low in anyway)
Posted By: 8AZ28 Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 02:25 PM
In the June '02 "Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords" magazine, they did an article on the SVT Focus. In the article they stated that the brakes were made specifically for the SVT model. They require a special steering knuckle to install on a regular ZX3 Focus. The article did not mention the Contour. However, I believe the regular ZX3 Focus and the SVT Contour share the same front brake design. This would indicate that the special (SVT) steering knuckle would also be required on the Contour. I've been meaning to call SVT and ask them about this.
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 02:26 PM
Quote:
No, you see, we are talking about parts that actually IMPROVE braking performance, not just increase your pimp factor (which the Contour/Mystique is inherently low in anyway)
LOL!

Thanks Rara, I would also be interested in FSVT wheels in the future, though I'm not sure whenI I was qouted @ $175 a piece from Bill.
Posted By: Rara Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 8AZ28:
In the June '02 "Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords" magazine, they did an article on the SVT Focus. In the article they stated that the brakes were made specifically for the SVT model. They require a special steering knuckle to install on a regular ZX3 Focus. The article did not mention the Contour. However, I believe the regular ZX3 Focus and the SVT Contour share the same front brake design. This would indicate that the special (SVT) steering knuckle would also be required on the Contour. I've been meaning to call SVT and ask them about this.
The guy loaning me the caliper and rotor is an SVT engineer . . . I guarantee that the SVT 800 line doesn't know the answer.
Posted By: 8AZ28 Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/19/02 02:39 PM
I'll bet you're going to need the special SVT Focus steering knuckle also. Ask the guy that loaned you the rotor and caliper about it. The MM&FF article specifically stated that the steering knuckle was different from a base Focus.
Posted By: RTStabler51 Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/24/02 08:23 PM
i was thinking the same thing, hopefully Rara will prove us wrong.

Quote:
I'll bet you're going to need the special SVT Focus steering knuckle also. Ask the guy that loaned you the rotor and caliper about it. The MM&FF article specifically stated that the steering knuckle was different from a base Focus.
Posted By: 3.0L SVT E0 Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/25/02 05:13 AM
Quote:
I read the exact same thing in Sport and Compact Car. It was a special SVT Focus steering knuckle. I read that the caliper was the same as the standard focus.

Roger
Posted By: Wiser Re: Focus SVT brakes - 07/25/02 12:42 PM
Would we be able to buy the special SVT Focus steering knuckle and install it with the larger SVT Focus rotors?
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/04/02 11:58 PM
the rotors/caliper bolt right up and are DEFINITLEY an improvement over the stock brakes. Hopefully the rears are the same. Can't wait to order mine.

Props to Chris A and Bill Jenkins for making it happen!!!!!!

EDIT: Page 2 Own3d biznatches !! :p laugh
Posted By: Shaggy Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 03:11 AM
Yup, they fit, full right lock and almost full left lock. My hand got in the way as I was holding my stock caliper right near the spring, but it was just a hare short of a full lock. But the calipers DO bolt right up using the stock bolts, although my bolts looked slightly corroded, so I will be replacing those.

Next month or so I will test out the rears.
Posted By: Rara Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 03:17 AM
Thanks Chris!

fwiw, I held off asking my friend to loan me a set, because Chris told me he already had some on the way . . .
Posted By: Dan Nixon Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 05:00 AM
Great info..
so to be clear, the CSVT stock steering is OK & does not need to be changed. And the FSVT calipers ARE different than CSVT??
Posted By: Shaggy Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
Great info..
so to be clear, the CSVT stock steering is OK & does not need to be changed. And the FSVT calipers ARE different than CSVT??
Well, I bolted the FSVT caliper on to the OE mounting points and it lined up and fit properly. Obviously, I removed, actually ziptied to the spring, the OE CSVT caliper. Installed the FSVT rotor on, perfect fit, and installed the FSVT caliper. I then installed the OE wheel back (E1) onto the hub. TheGreatOne then jumped into the driver's seat and turned the wheel full lock left and full lock right, while I was holding/pushing the OE calper out of the way and spinning the wheel. Full lock right was achieved with ease and 9/10 lock left was achieved; my hand and the OE caliper were in they way.

The calipers are basically the same, at least to my untrained eye. The FSVT caliper is larger and seems to be a bit heavier than the CSVT caliper. I won't know until I weigh the CSVT piece.

The FSVT rotor measured out to be 11 13/16 while the CSVT rotor is 10 15/16. (TheGreatOne, correct me if I'm wrong...) Thats an increase of almost an inch! smile

Weights:
FSVT caliper: 12lbs, loaded with pads
FSVT rotor: 19.5lbs
used CSVT rotor (30k): 15.3lbs

Now, the weights may be a little off, I was using my bathroom scale.

Now, my only question is, do I get SS lines that fit the CSVT or the FSVT calipers? I will be calling Bill J. in the AM to confirm that the brake line fittings (called a banjo?) are the same between both platforms.

I will try to get a friend with a digicam to come over during the install to help document the process. It does seem pretty much a straight swap.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 08:10 AM
So what would be needed to bolt these on to a non SVT?
Posted By: TLaven Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 12:25 PM
Would you be able to use the CSVT calipers with the FSVT rotors on a 2000 CSVT?
Posted By: Stazi the Aussie Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TLaven:
I would say NO, as there is not enough room to house the 1" bigger rotor.
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 01:44 PM
Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TLaven:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say NO, as there is not enough room to house the 1" bigger rotor.

Not to mention it would defeat the purpose!

As far as a non SVT goes...you can probably get away with the fronts, unless you have 4 wheel disc.
Posted By: Mani Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 02:27 PM
So there is no need to change the caliper bracket right? confused
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 04:06 PM
nope
Posted By: javaContour Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 06:17 PM
What about the back end.

Did you guys do any work with the rear calipers and rotors.

And I'd like to see those pics when you get 'em.

Brackets, will that be an issue for the E0 vs E1 vs Non-SVT. They can't all use the same caliper brackets.

TB
Posted By: Dan Nixon Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 08:03 PM
Also, these brakes work with stock SVT wheels??
Posted By: Rara Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 08:18 PM
Caliper brackets are definately different, you will have to use the FSVT caliper brackets w/ the FSVT calipers.

I believe these do fit under the stock SVT wheels, IIRC I have seen a few Focus SVTs w/ CSVT wheels mounted all the way around (test vehicles on winter tires)
Posted By: Rara Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 08:21 PM
One other item to keep in mind, no-one knows what affect fitting these brakes will have on pedal feel, in travel or in pedal force.
Posted By: TheGreatOne Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 08:29 PM
Quote:
Caliper brackets are definately different, you will have to use the FSVT caliper brackets w/ the FSVT calipers.
Are you talking for non SVT's because, again, they bolted right up to Chris' car. And the wheels fit just fine too. And they are filled up quite nicely!

The only "issue" chris mentioned was that he heard the FSVT bolts are longet than the CSVT, so it's a good idea to change them anyway.
Posted By: Shaggy Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 09:22 PM
Yes, I bolted my E1 wheels over the FSVT caliper and rotor and it fit. I also have my wheels balanced by those little sticky weights on the inside of the dish, not on the face of the wheel. Bill J. did tell me the FSVT caliper bolts are approx. 1/2" longer. Since my caliper bolts are corroding, I order the FSVT bolts.

For the rears, I hope to do it sometime in early September, I've used up my car budget for this month! wink
Posted By: Dan Nixon Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 10:01 PM
This is excellent new..thanks guys.

So, what did the set up cost, is it readily available at this time?? I smell group buy! laugh
Posted By: Slim Shady Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 10:04 PM
Quote:
I will try to get a friend with a digicam to come over during the install to help document the process. It does seem pretty much a straight swap.
I'll Try to get there soon :p
Posted By: Shaggy Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/05/02 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Nixon:
This is excellent new..thanks guys.

So, what did the set up cost, is it readily available at this time?? I smell group buy! laugh
I'll check the prices when I get home from work tonight. Also, Bill said the parts should be in stock soonly. smile
Posted By: Shaggy Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/06/02 05:05 AM
Prices:
DSC-FRT: 95.00 (list) 71.25 (sell)
BRAKE AS: 130.09 (list) 97.56 (sell)
CORE CHG: 70.00 (list) 70.00 (sell)

Now, I have purchased many, many items from Bill (both bumpers, full set of wheels, maintenance items, hard to get bearings, etc...) so these prices that he gets me may be better than other people's prices. Hell, other people may be getting better prices than me! So, YMMV...

Oh yeah, this is per side.
Posted By: cano Re: Focus SVT brakes - 08/06/02 10:47 AM
This is real good news
© CEG Archives