Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: RawBurt Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 03:27 PM
Has anyone ever bought the cheapest pads and rotors from a typical auto parts store... I mean like 40 bucks for a pair of rotors and about the same for pads... I dont know much about brakes, so uhhhhhh, is this a major "no-no?"

Sorry for the somewhat dumb and no0bie question...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 04:42 PM
If I had a total beater worth squat that's what I would use.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 04:50 PM
I was afraid of that... Looks like I'll be going aussie...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 05:28 PM
If you are talking about using these parts on an SVT Contour I'll gladly punch you in the baby maker.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 05:46 PM
The Autozone performance friction Z (I think that's the name) pads are a lifetime warranty pad that ou can use up and replace for free. I have no personal experience with them, but I've read a lot of good things. If you want more information, let me know and I'll dig it up. If you plan on using up your pads, it might not be a bad deal.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
The Autozone performance friction Z (I think that's the name) pads are a lifetime warranty pad that ou can use up and replace for free.

Actually, thats a misconception, even though the majority of the autoparts stores do it for customer satisfaction reasons (which I never did). The warranty, truly, only covers manufacturer defects, etc. Since brake pads are meant to wear out, the warranty does not cover this. For some reason, that amazes some people...
Posted By: Stazi Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 06:54 PM
Exactly. Moron's think they are buying a consumable part (like these "lifetime" brakes) and think that they will never have to buy them again.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 06:54 PM
I was actually at autoZ and s guy brought in some used up pads. They exchanged them for new ones. Kid you not.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 07:03 PM
Originally posted by todras:
I was actually at autoZ and s guy brought in some used up pads. They exchanged them for new ones. Kid you not.

Like I said, its a common. I had a guy bring in perfectly good pads and wanted them warrantied. I asked him why. His reasoning "I change my pads every 3 months to keep them fresh." I shot him down (Asst. Manager), however, the Store Manager replaced them after he complained. People are just stoopid.

If the brake manufacturer finds out that they are being warrantied for those reasons though, they get quite upset.
Posted By: Auto-X Fil Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 07:17 PM
I believe they have some that are what they call "lifetime" pads that really are a warrantied consumable. I've seen a lot of accounts of people doing this, but obviously check with your local store before trying it.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
I believe they have some that are what they call "lifetime" pads that really are a warrantied consumable. I've seen a lot of accounts of people doing this, but obviously check with your local store before trying it.

Nope...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 08:36 PM
Then we'll agree to disagree.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 01/31/06 09:02 PM

About? I know what you said, and seen it happen all the time. Like I said, its because the idiots behind the counter 1)are doing it to make the customer happy to avoid conflict 2)don't know what the hell the warranty really is on that specific product. The majority of counter jockeys have no f-ing clue what they are doing or what the parts they are do. They are just there for the paycheck. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox....
Posted By: tropictour Re: Cheap brakes - 02/01/06 06:03 AM
Brake pad warranties nowadays are strictly for defect only. I believe the stopped they wear warranty about 5 or so years ago or when they finally got some sense.
-tropictour
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 02/01/06 01:28 PM
well to the original question, I would never buy the cheapo brakes. this is what stops your car, why would you want to pinch pennies here? same thing with your $15 Wal-mart tires, why take the chance
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 02/01/06 02:03 PM
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

About? I know what you said, and seen it happen all the time. Like I said, its because the idiots behind the counter 1)are doing it to make the customer happy to avoid conflict 2)don't know what the hell the warranty really is on that specific product. The majority of counter jockeys have no f-ing clue what they are doing or what the parts they are do. They are just there for the paycheck. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox....

Ah gotcha now.
Posted By: Blackcoog_dup1 Re: Cheap brakes - 02/01/06 03:47 PM
On a similar note I had a life time Husky socket from Home Depot break on me and the store said they wouldn't exchange it. They said exchanges are only within 90 days so I should talk to the manufacturer. Apparently they don't know what the huge f'ing stamp "Garanteed Forever" on the part means in this situation. That's BS. Later I checked on Husky's web sight and it says to bring it in to Home Depot to exchange it.
© CEG Archives