Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tisby Clean rotors with what? - 09/23/04 05:58 PM
Whenever I have replaced the rotors on cars, I always use some type of rotor cleaner, usually whatever is cheapest. My father is telling me that I can just use simple green and some of the blue shop papertowels that we have. Is he crazy or am I blowing money on something I don't need?
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/23/04 06:05 PM
put new rotors on my mystique the other week, father just washed them with soap and water, then after they were on the car I also wiped them down with brake cleaner to make sure they were clean after handling.

anything that will remove the protective coating will work
Posted By: TGO Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/23/04 06:39 PM
all you really gotta do is get rid of any grease/oil or brake fluid you might have gotten on them from installation, the heat from the pads contacting the rotors will take care of the rest. I've never heard of any "protective" coating though.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/23/04 07:37 PM
coating is when they are new so they don't rust from sitting in a warehouse
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/24/04 11:42 PM
i used denatured alcohol to clean my new rotors and all is well
Posted By: 96mercury Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/25/04 07:56 AM
Yeah like they guy above said, just make sure they are grease and oil free. Dirt won't really matter since they get dirty as soon as you drive.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/25/04 06:05 PM
As brapple said, they have a oil on them to avoid rusting while sitting there. Just shoot the crap out of them with brake cleaner. You don't want to go out to test them and not stop too well because they're oily...
Posted By: Montanaoffroader Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/26/04 12:13 AM
I just use dishwashing soap in warm water. I scrub them with a nylon brush and dry them off with compressed air. Works just as well as commercial brake cleaner but lots cheaper.
Posted By: ContourStrike Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/26/04 01:24 AM
Use taco sauce.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/26/04 06:37 AM
Originally posted by montanaoffroader:
I just use dishwashing soap in warm water. I scrub them with a nylon brush and dry them off with compressed air. Works just as well as commercial brake cleaner but lots cheaper.

You can get brake cleaner for as low as 99 cents....spray on, dries itself, with no residue left over. You can't get much easier or cheaper than that.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/26/04 12:58 PM
Originally posted by teodoro:
Whenever I have replaced the rotors on cars, I always use some type of rotor cleaner, usually whatever is cheapest. My father is telling me that I can just use simple green and some of the blue shop papertowels that we have. Is he crazy or am I blowing money on something I don't need?

Brake cleaner.....at most places it is like $.99 so why not buy it?
Posted By: Montanaoffroader Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/26/04 02:17 PM
Last time I bought brake cleaner here it was $3 + per can. Guess that's the price I pay for living in a place with no Autozone and not much of anything else.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Clean rotors with what? - 09/26/04 06:27 PM
The FAQ section of Raybestos suggests that soap and water is still the best thing to clean a rotor. They suggest using a sink if you have the rotor off anyway, or using a spray bottle if not. They also recommend drying off the rotor only with paper towels.

Personally, I use brake clean, but I also know that soap and water actually does a better job.
© CEG Archives