Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SonofaNun Best non-Race Day combo - 08/10/04 06:31 PM

I won't be doing any racing, but I want to improve my brake system (not interested in a "big brake" conversion)

I really like EBC's Greenstuff pads and performance rotors, but they don't offer rotors for the rear.

Is there a better pads/rotor set-up out there? I like the Greenstuff pads for their low dusting and for their looks, but I'd like some quality rotors that won't get eaten up by the more aggressive pads.

I'd be interested in finding out about any front and rear pad/rotor combo - low dusting and high quality are my main concerns.

I have a 12/99 SVT Contour
Posted By: JB1 Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/10/04 08:08 PM
here you go, stazi's brake kit. lots of ceg'ers use his stuff.
Posted By: SonofaNun Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/10/04 11:01 PM
Originally posted by acrdklr:
here you go, stazi's brake kit. lots of ceg'ers use his stuff.

Thanks for the link. It's a good choice, but I'm leaning a little to the punkier look. I still want quality, and the Greenstuff pads. I'm researching the drilled and grooved KVRs as the rotors to go with EBCs pads. I hope that's a pretty decent choice - one that's better than what my SVT already has.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/13/04 03:33 PM
If you haven't, add a few bucks for stainless lines. It's a nice extra bit of oomph in the system.
Posted By: SonofaNun Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/14/04 11:27 AM
If you haven't, add a few bucks for stainless lines. It's a nice extra bit of oomph in the system.

Thanks. I'll look into it just as soon as I decide on which pads to use. Now I'm leaning towards the KVR pads. I hear that they're not too great in wet weather, but with slotted/drilled rotors, I figure they'll do okay. Anybody prefer the KVR's over Greenstuff?

*listening for crickets*
Posted By: CRSRFLS Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/14/04 03:54 PM
I have drilled and slotted rotors from EBC. Front and rear. Ordered from BAT. Both sets are from EBC.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/15/04 01:07 PM
See, you're kinda losing me over the drilled rotors bit. I don't think they look cool enough to make up for the downsides. I put the BAT Big Brake C package on my '95 with the stainless lines and a really good system bleed with ATE Super Blue fluid, and even though there's no drilled cosmetics in the rotors, I think the bigger discs look great behind the E1 wheels I have and more importantly, the stopping power has ALWAYS been strong and consistent (IIRC, it took probably a year and a half before I felt like maybe I was having to push through more brake pedal travel for the same stopping oomph). And my rotors can be turned...drilled ones can't.

For my money, brake function always trumps form, and if there's something else you can spend dollars on than the drilled rotors, I'd stay with solids and pick up that something else.
Posted By: SonofaNun Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/15/04 01:30 PM
Big brakes are good for the extra sweep area, but like I said, I'm not interested in that; don't have enough HP to the wheels, as it is. The SVT already stops better than most in its class, and I'd be really surprised if the changes I make result in a poorer performing brake system. I understand the point you're trying to make though. Thanks.
Posted By: CLASSVT Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/15/04 08:49 PM
I would highly recomment Powerslot rotors. I have them on all four corners and love them. I would also recommend Satisfied Pro Performance pads. Tire Rack gave me negative feedback in regards to the EBC pads that they have tested, which is the only reason I didn't buy them.
Posted By: JB1 Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/16/04 01:20 AM
drilled rotors can be turned it is just difficult to do as well as harder to find someone to do it. i know because i just had mine done. generally, you are right about there being little advantage when compared to a properly made "normal" rotor save for the quicker water evacuation which is what convinced me to try them. also, a buddy of mine has ebc pads on his bike and says that they are only ok. he is not terribly pleased nor really displeased.
Posted By: SonofaNun Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/16/04 10:14 AM
drilled rotors can be turned it is just difficult to do as well as harder to find someone to do it. i know because i just had mine done. generally, you are right about there being little advantage when compared to a properly made "normal" rotor save for the quicker water evacuation which is what convinced me to try them. also, a buddy of mine has ebc pads on his bike and says that they are only ok. he is not terribly pleased nor really displeased.

On today's cars, by the time you go through one set of pads you're lucky if you're not below discard thickness, after refinishing a rotor, so turning or not turning them was never really an issue for me. And thanks for the EBC feedback.
Classvt, thanks for the Powerslot and SPP pad advice.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/17/04 01:11 AM
SonofaNun, I advise you do a little searching on this subject in the archives. The whole drilled, slotted issue has been tackled so many times it's crazy. And these are guys who specialize in brakes, engineers, and the likes. It's really impressive the group of guys we have on this site.
Posted By: patman Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/17/04 02:26 AM
If you want cheap, I'm trying to unload the leftovers from my GP. $225 + shipping will get you 4 slotted rotors and Axxis Metal Master pads all the way around. Let me know if you are interested.
Posted By: SonofaNun Re: Best non-Race Day combo - 08/17/04 07:41 PM

Thanks. Before I actually buy anything, I'll be sure to take a look at the archives. Right now I'm thinking that I want a G-Stop 4 Line Stainless Steel kit, with black cadmium plated drilled and grooved KVR rotors, with KVR pads, or maybe Greenstuff pads front and rear. Guess I'll find out how right or how wrong I am.
© CEG Archives