Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Tourige Koni Sport Kit, or Koni's with H&R/ B&G - 12/09/05 03:03 AM
Just wondering whats the best combination (i might track race my car) but i want a smooth ride that i can deal with on a daily basis.
The Koni kit is hard to beat for the price. The Koni struts are very nice units.

I have the H&R springs and they are outstanding. A very good blend of moderate drop and increased spring rate. I run them with Bilsteins.
the savings alone is enough to get the koni kit.
Posted By: 111R Re: Koni Sport Kit, or Koni's with H&R/ B&G - 12/09/05 08:41 AM
i love my koni kit
so the Koni springs are good? i E-mailed AJUSA about the kit and they said that it came with Eibach springs..
Originally posted by Tourige:
so the Koni springs are good? i E-mailed AJUSA about the kit and they said that it came with Eibach springs..

IIRC it is not the same Eibach springs that are sold separately here in the states.
At least we hope not being those give fugly ass sag.
I run Koni's and B+G Sports and i love it. The b+g's were cheaper through my GB which i believe is still good.
Posted By: 111R Re: Koni Sport Kit, or Koni's with H&R/ B&G - 12/10/05 12:04 AM
i E-mailed AJUSA about the kit and they said that it came with Eibach springs..

i had the WORST experience with ajusa with the TERRIBLE shipping standards. after i finally got my kit after many hours waisted on the phone/net, i decided i will never buy anything from them again.

-a
Originally posted by 5V7 Dr1v3r627:
I run Koni's and B+G Sports and i love it. The b+g's were cheaper through my GB which i believe is still good.

the GB is still good? is it in the GB forums?
Originally posted by 5V7 Dr1v3r627:

the GB is still good? is it in the GB forums?

Yeah should be good to go still. I feel nice so here's the link. Here you go.
H&Rs have a very nice ride. Firm yet compliant over bumps. Of course, like most performance/drop springs, the little bumps and road imperfections show up quite a bit more but Im very impressed with the H&Rs. I dont know what struts they are mounted on, however. I tried to look but couldnt find anything distinctive (like Koni yellow or labels).

Not to mention the drop is very nice!
Whats the Reliability on the B&G and Koni Springs?
Whats the Reliability on the B&G and Koni Springs?

Near perfect. You can't get much better...
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

IIRC it is not the same Eibach springs that are sold separately here in the states.
At least we hope not being those give fugly ass sag.

I recently contacted Koni directly to find out the truth about this rummor of Eibach springs on the Sport Kit. Here is my e-mail and the responce from Koni...

Koni,
My question is, I have a brand new set of koni struts ft/rr for my 2000 Ford Contour SVT in the fatory box (never installed). I am currently running Eibach Pro springs. I plan to install my koni's very soon but now that the Koni Sport kit w/springs is available for the 2000 Controu SVT I am torn between installing the Koni's with my Eibach Pro springs or selling/exchanging my Koni's and springs and going for the complete Koni Sport kit. I have heard that the Koni kit is using Eibach springs, it there any truth to this and if so is it the same springs as the Eibach Pro? If the springs are different my feeling is Koni designed the struts and springs to work together for this application and would it be a better or basically the same. Please help me clear this up, what would you recommmend ? Thanks, Scott Denny

Scott,
Yes the KONI springs (which are now available for purchase separately) are matched to the Sport shocks and lower the vehicle 40mm (1.57"). I am not sure how much your Eibach's lower it. The springs used in the Sport Kit are not manufactured through Eibach but through a German manufacturer to KONI specs. Since you already have the Eibach's on the vehicle you can either; install the KONI sports and then see what you think or if you want to have the matching set you could contact the dealer you bought them through and see if they would take back the shocks you have and replace them with the full kit and you pay the difference. The KONI's work well with Eibach so it would just be up to you if you want to pay the difference to have the KONI springs.

Thank you,

Stoney Hamilton
Toll Free: 800-922-2616 x6
PH: 859-488-0331
FX: 859-334-3340

Also...

Apparently not everybody gets this so called a$$ sag I keep hereing about

Been running Eibach's since June '03 on SVT struts and no problems or sag that I can see

i believe they are referring to the fact that back sits lower than the front. i think it looks 100x better than the H&R Joe Dirt look.
Originally posted by svt4stv:
i believe they are referring to the fact that back sits lower than the front. i think it looks 100x better than the H&R Joe Dirt look.

Yeah, but I have measured mine several times over the years and the back is always a little bit higher
My Koni kit has been awesome so far. Haven't adjusted them since the trackday a few months ago. The ride is pretty comfortable and the body roll is almost non-existent. I would recommend it to anyone.
man I wish I woulda waited another month and got the Koni Kit..ahh well, I'm happy with the BAT Kit
Eibach sag!

Cut & paste
http://svt.sho.tripod.com/spring_zing/sz2k1_14.jpg
Those pictures prove to me that sag is in the eye of the beholder.

The only ones that appear to be sagging are the ones parked uphill. The others appear to have a level drop.

The angle isn't doing anything for those cars. They sag. Extra gravity pushing on the rear of the car on a slight incline? Maybe not with certain struts but come to any SZ and ask the owners why they have ass sag. "Um I have Eibach's."
Originally posted by todras:
The angle isn't doing anything for those cars. They sag. Extra gravity pushing on the rear of the car on a slight incline? Maybe not with certain struts but come to any SZ and ask the owners why they have ass sag. "Um I have Eibach's."

I call total BS. Double to you, Toddio!

Yes, parking on an incline will change the weight distribution, and the struts will not prevent it. (Struts damp motion--get it?)

I can't say that it has never happened, but I think the vast majority of "AS" cases out there are based on an ocular illusion, perhaps made worse by SVT bodywork.
NO! The Eibach springs lower the car to a level stance. Due to the cars body design it gives the car a saggy ass stance.

These aren't on "hills". Slinger's car is the only one posted on a big enough incline to effect anything.

Cut & paste
so youre saying is that the car's bodywork makes it APPEAR to have ass sag like pretty much every other car. look at the 3 series. the rear will be tucking tire while front does not (if level). if i were to put H&Rs on my car with those 19z the rear end probably wouldnt clear the opening of underground parking garages.
then id have to get side pipes and a big ole confederate flag waving off the back of my car maybe a nice shotgun rack fer mah back windah too.
i love really slammed vehicles. However, the eibachs do look bad. If you want that look, just keep the factory suspension and let your rear struts wear out like my car. I have always abhorred cars or trucks with a raked look (front lower than the back) buuuuuut.. with those eibachs it just looks like crap. Get H&R's or B&G's or if you dont like that look get ground controls and play with it til you find the happy medium

just my $0.02
so youre saying is that the car's bodywork makes it APPEAR to have ass sag

Yep. It doesn't "appear" to have it. It has it plain and simple. I described why it looks that way. I don't care what other car is that way. If it's arse appears lower than the front by the naked eye it looks gheyzorz. Eibach's are the only springs that make it look that way. Have not seen pics of any other Contour spring that give the same stance. You can argue all day about "hills", "weight distribution", Hollywood special effects camera angle's etc etc. Take almost any Eibach'd car to a car guy and ask him his opinion on stance. scottd60's car is one of the few that doesn't appear to have it. Don't know if it's the struts he's using or what but his appears to have a nice stance.
Originally posted by todras:
Eibach sag!

Cut & paste

These two I'll aggree...maybe it also has to do with whats in your trunk as well Mine is empty, clean and stock not 100lbs of amps, wooden boxes and huge subs
Posted By: NVSVT Koni Sport Kit, or Koni's with H&R/ B&G - 12/21/05 10:35 PM
Originally posted by scottd60:
Maybe it has [something] to do with what [you have] in your trunk as well Mine is empty, clean and stock not 100lbs of amps, wooden boxes and huge subs

Thanks Scott, you took the words right out of my mouth.

You can have AS with any spring if you put enough junk in your trunk.
what about intrax with koni's?that is what i have and there is no sag and their actually lower than eibachs.
B&G's with Koni...+ 2 12" woofers, box, 2 amps
Looks like im going with the KONI sport kit, its the best bang for my buck and its proven to work. To bad its gonna cost me 1 Grand to get them, and then i need to find a McPherson spring compressor.
Originally posted by NVSVT:
Originally posted by scottd60:
Maybe it has [something] to do with what [you have] in your trunk as well Mine is empty, clean and stock not 100lbs of amps, wooden boxes and huge subs

Thanks Scott, you took the words right out of my mouth.

You can have AS with any spring if you put enough junk in your trunk.

I know most of those cars don't have bog stereo's. Keep trying. Mark's car didn't have anything in it.

Cut & paste
so youre saying is that the car's bodywork makes it APPEAR to have ass sag like pretty much every other car. look at the 3 series. the rear will be tucking tire while front does not (if level). if i were to put H&Rs on my car with those 19z the rear end probably wouldnt clear the opening of underground parking garages.

I'm inclined to agree. It's an optical allusion IMHO. There are several areas on our cars that, depending on the vantage point, look out of kilter. One is that the rear wheels appear not to be centered in the wheel arch but forward of the center line. Another is the front track is wider than the rear which is one thing I hate on front drive cars. While those two examples aren't allusions, this one about rear sag - if you measure from the top of the tire to the top of the fender arch, yes, it looks like the rear is lower. I don't think there is really anyway to tell since the body cladding (at least on SVT's) is not symmetrical - that is, it's not equidistant from the ground when measuring the front and rear of the side skirt or measuring the distance to the ground from the bottom of the front or rear bumper covers.
Karl
I just had a thought but not soon enough to edit my first post. I suppose one way to measure front and rear ride height - to determine once and for all whether or not the rear "sags" is to remove the side skirts and then measure the distance between the bottom of the body just after the front wheel and just before the rear one. Maybe that would do the trick.
Karl
Originally posted by 88SVT:
I just had a thought but not soon enough to edit my first post. I suppose one way to measure front and rear ride height - to determine once and for all whether or not the rear "sags" is to remove the side skirts and then measure the distance between the bottom of the body just after the front wheel and just before the rear one. Maybe that would do the trick.
Karl

No need to remove the skirts. You can get behind them and place a level against the bottom of the rocker section.

Anyway, by Todd's definition, all SVTs have ass sag, even at stock ride height. By his definition, in which appearance=reality, I think the SVT's rear bumper makes the rear look too low. And that is a matter of personal taste only.
© CEG Archives