Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: cbman Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/23/06 07:48 PM
I had oversized valves put in my head, and if the exhaust and intake valves are open at the same time they can touch. So, I'm wondering if the VCT retarding could allow the valves to come too close.

If I want to check clearances, how many degrees does the VCT retard the exhaust cam?
Good question.

Something to consider... You really don't want any overlap in a tuborcharged application. Why not just get a VCT eliminator?

BP
Posted By: cbman Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/23/06 11:54 PM
I thought that under WOT the VCT would not be activated, but if that is not the case someone please let me know.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/24/06 12:30 AM
Only at deceleration the VCT is activated.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/24/06 04:51 AM
I don't know why people even mess with that retarded VCT motor. '97 Silvertop owns you.
Posted By: cbman Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/24/06 05:04 AM
By "Owns" are you referring to the hydraulic lifters that require oil pressure?

Posted By: cbman Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/24/06 05:14 AM
It looks like the VCT retards the exhaust cam 30 degrees (60 crank degrees).

http://www.zx2racing.com/pages/maintenance/vctproblems.htm
Again... Why not eliminate it?

VCT is just emissions crap and not performance.

I'm guessing that VCT will also hurt your spool time. It is letting pressure back into the cylinders instead of feeding your turbo.

BP
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/24/06 09:31 PM
Originally posted by ButtonPuncher:
Again... Why not eliminate it?

VCT is just emissions crap and not performance.

I'm guessing that VCT will also hurt your spool time. It is letting pressure back into the cylinders instead of feeding your turbo.

BP

VCT effects performance when not working correctly.
Originally posted by cbman:
By "Owns" are you referring to the hydraulic lifters that require oil pressure?

Are you refering to those lifters that can be easily swapped for focus solid lifters/shims and outfitted with Focus performance cams/cam gears?
Posted By: cbman Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/26/06 08:19 PM
Well, I purchased the adapter and adjustable pulley so that I can remove the VCT.
I have a SCT XCalibrator2 so hopefully I can easily get a program to remove VCT control.

I realized that turbo and valve overlap shouldn't go together.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/26/06 09:08 PM
CEL here we come.
Did you use an Xcal2 Hector? There may be some additional functionality that will allow control of the VCT (i.e. on/off) that was not available when you were teaking your Zetec. Be interesting to see if it can be pulled off now.

Originally posted by cbman:
Well, I purchased the adapter and adjustable pulley so that I can remove the VCT.
I have a SCT XCalibrator2 so hopefully I can easily get a program to remove VCT control.

I realized that turbo and valve overlap shouldn't go together.

It may even be a scalar value that you uncheck to disable VCT. It would take a programmer all of 30 seconds to modify it.

BP
Posted By: cbman Re: Oversized Valves, stock cams, and VCT - 05/28/06 07:36 PM
The problem is I don't have the Pro Racer Package software.
So, I have to have the dealer or someone modify my program.

I've definately been thinking about buying the PRP though.
© CEG Archives