Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: qokuh K&N - 07/29/06 06:57 AM
What is the best place to purchase a K&N for y 99csvt? By best i guess i mean cheepest. Should i just go to Autozone or Advance Auto Parts? Are the pretty much the same price everywhere?

Thanks.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: K&N - 07/29/06 07:41 AM
a K and N what?
Posted By: Augi Re: K&N - 07/29/06 10:24 AM
Any auto parts store has them, you're almost garunteed to spend at least $50 or more.
Posted By: Marky_dup1 Re: K&N - 07/29/06 11:02 AM
AJUSA.com
Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: K&N - 07/29/06 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Marky:
AJUSA.com

Posted By: yyz-svt Re: K&N - 07/29/06 09:43 PM
doesn't he also need an adapter ?

maybe want to talk about that if so .....
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: K&N - 07/30/06 06:02 PM
He may be looking for a drop-in K&N filter ...
Posted By: qokuh Re: K&N - 07/30/06 06:31 PM
Nope...not lookin for a drop-in. Whats so good about AJUSA.com? What kind of gas mileage improvment are we talkin about with this filter (That YOU have experienced)?

Thanks
Posted By: beyondloadedSE_dup1 Re: K&N - 07/30/06 09:20 PM
Originally posted by qokuh:
Nope...not lookin for a drop-in. Whats so good about AJUSA.com? What kind of gas mileage improvment are we talkin about with this filter (That YOU have experienced)?

You asked for the cheapest and AJUSA is the cheapest.

I would say gas mileage improvement is probably no more than 1 mpg, but then again, I havent actually tested before and after.

Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: K&N - 07/30/06 10:33 PM
i think most of the open filter make you comsume more gas since you alway reving higher cause you love to hear the sound of your engine
Posted By: csc99svt Re: K&N - 08/01/06 04:52 PM
i added a tornado to my k&n and i got 22 extra mpg and 14 extra hp
Posted By: Beans_dup1 Re: K&N - 08/01/06 05:29 PM
Originally posted by csc99svt:

22 extra?? what were you getting before? 5mpg?

seriosly helped that much?
Posted By: my98SVTturbo Re: K&N - 08/01/06 05:31 PM
lol
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: K&N - 08/01/06 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Beans:

Wikipedia explanation of the word "joke".
Posted By: Beans_dup1 Re: K&N - 08/01/06 05:36 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:
Originally posted by Beans:

Wikipedia explanation of the word "joke".

apologies, sarcasm doesnt travel tru the internet
Posted By: JEFFtourCT Re: K&N - 08/01/06 08:14 PM
lol..

anyways. the drop in filter improves very little MPG. like he said 1mpg maybe 2.

a drop in filter did give my svt a little more sound because of more flow, but i replaced the filter assempbly with a KKM intake.

gas mileage is better. i dont have any number for you, i just know it becuase of when i go to the pump, and its less often, but on the other side, you do go through higher revs because you fell more of a pull in the power-ban... area (4-6 rpms) thus, more gas. haha

SPmotorsports has the K&N Firk.. its a bit pricey, but K&N is known for the best for its price. (which is the best intake many will argue.)

Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: K&N - 08/01/06 08:15 PM
Originally posted by qokuh:

Thanks

Despite K&N's claims, the theoretical mpg improvement of any air filter is exactly zero on a modern, electronically-controlled, fuel-injected car.

The amount of fuel you use is determined by the computer's reading of the amount of air coming through the MAF. This amount is regulated by the throttle, which BTW is by design the most restrictive part of the intake system. That's its job, after all.

Granted, with a less restrictive filter, you can get the same airflow with a less-open throttle setting, but remember that the throttle setting does not determine how much fuel is getting squirted into the engine--the airflow does.
Posted By: Jeb Hoge_dup1 Re: K&N - 08/02/06 02:30 PM
I was looking through a Mustang site and saw something stating that K&Ns may contribute to unusually fast failure of IACs. Considering I went through...hmm, I was on my third IAC in three years on my '95, which I'd put a K&N on soon after I got it, I'd say that theory has some merit. I have yet to replace the IAC on my '97, which has had paper filters all along.
Posted By: debos99csvt Re: K&N - 08/02/06 10:46 PM
I have a drop in cone K&N filter 40 bucks shipped in excellent condition if you are interested
© CEG Archives