Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/10/06 06:31 PM
getting an svt exhuast on a stock 99 se, anybody know what the rasp situation will be, from what i have read it seems like i will need to replace the resonator.

Just wondering how other people's sounded after it was done. Hopeing not to have too much rasp
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/10/06 06:33 PM
And why would it sound fine on a SVT, but raspy on a SE?
Posted By: morbid Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/10/06 06:41 PM
if you have headers, it might rasp when the pipes are cold... otherwise no rasp.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/10/06 07:17 PM
You won't even hear it if it is indeed stock. 1 resonator and 2 mufflers. Cut the res off an then you will meet mr. rasp.
Posted By: LUCA_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/10/06 07:38 PM
Why will you need to replace the resonator? Unless something is wrong with it, I would leave it.

I got my daughter an SVT exhaust for her car (98 SE), she hasn't mentioned any rasp. She doesn't have the resonator though, she has a glasspack.

Everyone tells her that the car sounds really good. I haven't heard it yet (she's in CT) so I can't say, just repeating what I've heard.
Hope that helps you.
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/10/06 07:46 PM
All I can say is get the SVT exhaust!!!! It sounds very good and looks cool too, although it sticks out a little too much for my liking. But it sounds very good, do what you can to get one!!!!
Posted By: tsSVT Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/10/06 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Yummy Mummy:
You won't even hear it if it is indeed stock. 1 resonator and 2 mufflers. Cut the res off an then you will meet mr. rasp.

No res. only rasps when it's cold.
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/10/06 08:33 PM
Originally posted by morbid:
if you have headers, it might rasp when the pipes are cold... otherwise no rasp.

no, it wont rasp period
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 12:21 AM
no rasp here
Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 03:53 AM
Originally posted by imurdaddytoo sport:
getting an svt exhuast on a stock 99 se, anybody know what the rasp situation will be, from what i have read it seems like i will need to replace the resonator.

Just wondering how other people's sounded after it was done. Hopeing not to have too much rasp

No need to replace the resonator. You probally read stuff about people who have replaced it for sound and maybe a little performance, but still no need. I believe the stock SVT resonator is a straight through design so going to a "performance" resonator will gain you no more than 2 to 3 hp. I just put on stock SVT exhaust on my se sport. It is still very quiet with no rasp, but it sounds a little throatier. I think it is a great mod for SE's , go with it!
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 04:10 AM
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:

No need to replace the resonator. You probally read stuff about people who have replaced it for sound and maybe a little performance, but still no need. I believe the stock SVT resonator is a straight through design so going to a "performance" resonator will gain you no more than 2 to 3 hp. I just put on stock SVT exhaust on my se sport. It is still very quiet with no rasp, but it sounds a little throatier. I think it is a great mod for SE's , go with it!

why do anything to a contour? You get barley any gains... People do it cause they want to, the car sounds damn sexy with magnaflows plus its nice to say you have a mod.
Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Tourige:
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:

why do anything to a contour? You get barley any gains... People do it cause they want to, the car sounds damn sexy with magnaflows plus its nice to say you have a mod.

He wanted to know if he had to replace the stock resonator to get rid of rasp, and I said no! I just explained that people replace the stock resonator more for sound that for performance, and personally I agree with you about the sound. That is why I am buying a magnaflow res!
Posted By: morbid Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 04:23 AM

no, it wont rasp period

Um... I have headers with stock SVT exhaust and it DOES rasp when it's cold at around 2500-3000 rpm. It did not rasp before I installed the headers.
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 12:49 PM
k first off to set things straight,
not doing the svt exhuast for hp, doing it for sound (plus the exhuast is free, i just have to pay installation)
second, thanx for all the help, now my only question left is how much better would it sound with a magnaflow res over the stock res?
btw i think im gonna cut the tips short/ under the bumper, cus i dont like the look of them that much
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 03:29 PM

no, it wont rasp period

Um... I have headers with stock SVT exhaust and it DOES rasp when it's cold at around 2500-3000 rpm. It did not rasp before I installed the headers.

your car is broken..

do you have a Main Cat still??

Im running trubendz resonated Magnaflow's Weapon R headers and Y, and a hi-flow cat. No rasp ever. And yes.. it gets cold up here in Canada.
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 04:08 PM

no, it wont rasp period

your car is broken..

do you have a Main Cat still??

Im running trubendz resonated Magnaflow's Weapon R headers and Y, and a hi-flow cat. No rasp ever. And yes.. it gets cold up here in Canada.

i tought I read gutting the precats on svt's is what leads to the rasp a lot of the time.
Posted By: morbid Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 04:25 PM
Gutted pre-cats will also lead to rasp.

When I installed my msds headers, I also installed a WR y-pipe and trubendz cat (not gutted). It is possible that what I'm hearing is drone and not rasp, but I had gutted pre-cats (waste of time) for about 6 months prior to installing the headers and stuff... and it did rasp/drone then too.

I'd hope Canada is colder than here.... I think pretty much everywhere else is colder than Phoenix
Posted By: lizard Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 06:31 PM
i remove my resonator and it only has a little rasp when cold once warm its perfect
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 06:32 PM
does the svt exhuast help much with the sound?
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/11/06 06:59 PM
Not much. More for looks IMO. It's a little louder but not much.
Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 03:36 AM

A little bit. It sounds better, but not much louder. Get a magnaflow res for a better sound. Not to expensive either. Some people prefer to go with a glasspack instead of the magnaflow res but that is a whole other discussion.
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 03:59 AM

I thought it helped a lot on my car with the sound.
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 03:59 AM
stock SE exhaust is terrible, im sure with SVT exhaust the car would sound way better.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 04:08 AM
The stock SVT exhaust, on an SVT or a non SVT, has a beautiful tone. It is a bit quiet, but beautiful.

There seems to be two reasons for changing or removing the resonator. One of them is for a louder tone. The other is because the resonator is slightly smaller in diameter than the rest of the exhaust so it is a bit restrictive. There is a performance improvement, but not a huge one, from removing it or from changing it to something less restrictive.

I would suggest that you install the thing and see how you like it. You can always modify it later. Mine is still stock, and I really like the tone. It sounds nice without attracting the wrong kind of attention.

My neighbor installed an SVT exhaust on his 96 SE with auto trans. He did not modify the SVT cat back. He did gut the pre cats and modify the Y pipe though. At first his car sounded just like mine. Now it is a bit louder, but not overly offensive. Personally, I would not like it any louder than his car, but it is all a matter of personal taste.
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 04:13 AM
i still need the gut the precats and mod the ypipe. and I also need a optimized throttle body.....anyone want to help? LOL!
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 04:46 AM
just FYI i raced a buddy who has a stock contour and i beat him by about 4 car lengths by the top of 3rd. I have WEapon r and trubendz crap. just thought id let someone know..
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 12:39 PM
just FYI i raced a buddy who has a stock contour and i beat him by about 4 car lengths by the top of 3rd. I have WEapon r and trubendz crap. just thought id let someone know..

yeah and at the top of third the SVT is still pullin ghard because of the heads/cams and a normal SE is falling on its face after 5k rpm ... off the line it is a drivers race, hit the upper rpm and the SVT will walk away from a SE, I know this first hand ...
Posted By: Pre98 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 08:09 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:

yeah and at the top of third the SVT is still pullin ghard because of the heads/cams and a normal SE is falling on its face after 5k rpm ... off the line it is a drivers race, hit the upper rpm and the SVT will walk away from a SE, I know this first hand ...

Agreed, the powerband in excess of 5k rpms on my SE is more like a slow climb than anything. Really it does nothing for a race in the quarter mile.
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 08:11 PM
Originally posted by BrApple:

i meant stock SVT
Posted By: lizard Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/12/06 11:42 PM
i dont kno about that. i think now my car could beat a stock svt and im willing to bet ill beat one on top speed
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/13/06 01:23 AM
Originally posted by lizard:
i dont kno about that. i think now my car could beat a stock svt and im willing to bet ill beat one on top speed

with out the higher compression pistons and cams, i doubt that.
Posted By: JB1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/13/06 01:32 AM

I'd hope Canada is colder than here.... I think pretty much everywhere else is colder than Phoenix

i hear the face of the sun gets pretty hot so you may have some competition there.
Posted By: Pre98 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/13/06 02:33 AM
Originally posted by elraido:

with out the higher compression pistons and cams, i doubt that.

My car is running almost every bolt on an SE automatic Contour should have- and what I mean by that is choosing mods that won't require a swap from auto to manual. "Sensible" mods I guess I should say.

The highest rating an SE has dynoed, that I've seen, was Josh's SE last year, @ 165wp right? I know Russel3L had an auto before his swap, but that's besides the point Anyways, even with headers my car probably won't break 150whp. The auto transmission sucks up that much potential. I would never hold up against a stock SVT. Maybe off the line

Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/13/06 02:48 AM

Below are your mods (that will affect power or "top speed"
Blue for beneficial, red for possibly harmful
Quote:

k&n filter, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT LIM, MSDS headers, MSDS Y-pipe, SVT dual exhaust, Custum burned ADC chip,
17" rims

Now, I've stripped away ALL the things that a STOCK SVT has, that you have ADDED.. this is what you have left:

Quote:

k&n filter, MSDS headers, MSDS Y-pipe, Custom burned ADC chip, and 17" rims

Now, take in to account that your K&N flows "slightly" better but NOT terribly better than a STOCK SVT intake, I'll toss THAT out..

So... you've ended up with:

headers.. a y-pipe... and... a chip. All on heavier rims, and withOUT the cams, pistons or raised compression, with a powerband that falls FLAT on its FACE at 5500-ish (top-speed, anyone??)

So, how is it that your car (with LESS performance pieces than a STOCK SVT, lower compression, and a power curve that falls OFF at the TOP) is going to compete against an SVT in the "top speed" category with the installation of headers and a Y?

Nothing personal, I'd hash this out with anyone that stated something anywhere near as unfounded.
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/13/06 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Ray:

Quote:

k&n filter, SVT TB, SVT UIM, SVT LIM, MSDS headers, MSDS Y-pipe, SVT dual exhaust, Custum burned ADC chip,
17" rims

Now, I've stripped away ALL the things that a STOCK SVT has, that you have ADDED.. this is what you have left:

Quote:

Now, take in to account that your K&N flows "slightly" better but NOT terribly better than a STOCK SVT intake, I'll toss THAT out..

headers.. a y-pipe... and... a chip. All on heavier rims, and withOUT the cams, pistons or raised compression, with a powerband that falls FLAT on its FACE at 5500-ish (top-speed, anyone??)

So, how is it that your car (with LESS performance pieces than a STOCK SVT, lower compression, and a power curve that falls OFF at the TOP) is going to compete against an SVT in the "top speed" category with the installation of headers and a Y?

Nothing personal, I'd hash this out with anyone that stated something anywhere near as unfounded.

the only thing better regualar duratecs have is a better low end because of the cams and that is slightly debateable.
Posted By: morbid Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/13/06 04:30 AM
Originally posted by JB1:

i hear the face of the sun gets pretty hot so you may have some competition there.

We'll have to see when it's mid-summer
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/13/06 05:20 AM

Quote:

17" rims

Quote:

Oh Snap
Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/13/06 05:24 AM

Oh Snap

Haha... I didn't know canadians said that!
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 01:15 AM
Leave the res and remove the mufflers!!!! OK so that was my Zetec, but it was the best sounding Zetec around.

And if that exhaust is all one piece, I'll install it cheap!!!!
Posted By: lizard Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 01:31 AM
hey my rims are for a purpose because i wanted wider tires to handle the twisties better and top speed of a svt is 148 well my car has been above that aready thats why i say top speed and ill race an svt sometime but untill then cant argue
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 01:47 AM
hey my rims are for a purpose because i wanted wider tires to handle the twisties better and top speed of a svt is 148 well my car has been above that aready thats why i say top speed and ill race an svt sometime but untill then cant argue

Did you clock yourself with a radar gun?

Your speedo isnt accurate at those speeds, and with those 17's.....
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 01:55 AM

top spead is limited to 143 not 148...and second, like stated before, speedos are VERY unaccurate at that level of speed. So you are saying that basically with a ypipe and headers you gained more power then a svt with a MUCH better set of cams and higher comp. pistons? Also with wheels being larger as well, you are loosing a little bit at the top end as well because it needs to rotate more mass
Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 03:04 AM

... like stated before, speedos are VERY unaccurate at that level of speed.

Agreed, speedometers almost always say you are going faster than reality. I have a JUGS Radar gun that I bought for baseball and it is accurate within a half mph. My friends and I tested many new cars, and the actual speed always showed up slower than the speedometer on every car. Anyways, on SE's like my car, isn't the governor set at 112mph? Because my speedo usually reads between 120-125 mph when it hits the govenor, meaning that my speedo is about 10 mph off at that speed.

Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 06:34 AM
he is chipped.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 06:54 AM
hum i think this thread slip a bit from its main subject
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 07:07 AM
"is that cuba below us?"
"why yes it."
"great goonga moonga, we've been hijacked"
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 12:03 PM
He wasn't stating that he COULDN'T do more than 112.. he was pointing out how inaccurate the speedo is at that level.. moreso at higher ones.

And he didn't go faster than 148..

period... ever...

Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 02:05 PM
He wasn't stating that he COULDN'T do more than 112.. he was pointing out how inaccurate the speedo is at that level...

If the "he" you are referring to is "me" then you are exactly correct!
Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/14/06 02:07 PM
he is chipped.

I know, I was talking about the govenor on my se.
Posted By: JB1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/15/06 12:47 AM

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *breathe* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thats the second funniest thing i have heard all day
Posted By: weargle Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/15/06 05:26 PM

You're full of it.

The SVT isn't computer limited at 143, it's drag limited. You aren't making more power than a SVT, and you have a similar or worse coefficient of drag. But then again, it is teh intarweb so you could claim that you hit 160.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/16/06 01:14 AM
Originally posted by weargle:

You're full of it.

The SVT isn't computer limited at 143, it's drag limited. You aren't making more power than a SVT, and you have a similar or worse coefficient of drag. But then again, it is teh intarweb so you could claim that you hit 160.

I did hit an indicated 155 on a slight decline... but I have too short of sidewalls, so speedo is a bit fast!
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/16/06 01:18 AM
An *indicated* 155, with short sidewalls, and irratic speedo at that speed is probably only in the 140's.. that's being easy about it, too.

A bit fast is right! lol

Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/16/06 03:42 AM
anyone that goes over 120 in a Contour is crazy.. too light at those speeds IMO
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/16/06 04:37 AM
so im assuming u guys dont get rasp at those speeds?
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/16/06 04:59 AM
i dont think your to worried about the sound at that point.
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/16/06 02:16 PM
Anytime I haul major *bleep* I don't get any sound.. until about a half second after I come to a stop, then the waves catch me and I get to hear 10 seconds of my WOT notes while they pass me.

Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/16/06 05:31 PM
is ur SVT a 3L?
Posted By: Ray_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/17/06 01:56 AM
Mine????

Yeah.. a 3L Turbo, as thanks to Tom!

Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/17/06 04:03 AM
Mine????

Yeah.. a 3L Turbo!

Ray, you suck!!!

PM me if ya wanna trade...
Posted By: Pre98 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/17/06 04:58 AM

Never been over, but I'll tell you the car was glued to the pavement at 112...
Posted By: Reebs Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/17/06 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Pre98:

Never been over, but I'll tell you the car was glued to the pavement at 112...

Totally agree with pre98! Altough, 112 and 120 are quite a bit different! 8 mph at that speed is way different than 62 and 70 mph...

This is yet another thread that strays from it's original topic!!!
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/17/06 12:31 PM
yeah, anyway im just gonna go straight up exhuast the way it is, i may put a magnaflow res in, but everyone started talkin about other stuff so i dont know how much it would help
Posted By: EuroTour Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/17/06 08:56 PM
Lizard forgot to mention his car is a PRNDL. How about we head out to Martin in the next few weeks and put this debate to rest.
Posted By: lizard Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 04:07 PM
in my sig it says atx but im up for it
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 04:13 PM
LOL! Make sure I'm informed of the date. How about This Saturday Open Test & Tune 12:00pm-6:00pm.

http://www.us131motorsportspark.com/schedule.asp
Posted By: lizard Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 04:20 PM
ill be in bellville for a b party
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 04:27 PM
How is Wednesday May 3 Test & Tune 5:00pm-10:00pm. Pick a date then from the site. I'll even give you a head start.
Posted By: lizard Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 04:32 PM
i think the third will work
i dont car if i win or ose in a quarter i just need see what i run, personally i wish we could race a mile
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 04:40 PM
i wish we could race a mile

So you can lose more?
Posted By: lizard Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 05:00 PM
maybe...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 05:58 PM
What do you mean maybe?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 09:06 PM

With solid suspension, the car is very stable at 150mph. But I'll take your word for it Tourige.

Mark
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
But I'll take your word for it Tourige.

Mark

Nothing out of the ordinary
Posted By: Blue Goose Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 09:56 PM
Not so sure about planted at 120. I've only been over 100 like 3 or 4 times and it seemed planted then, but I've touched 120 twice when i topped it out (about how fast it will get up to if you factor in the bigger tires by the time the govenor comes on) it starts to remind me why the govenor is there, as the steering starts to get rather light. Of course, I also am in desperate need of new struts so that could have something to do with it But from my very limited experience, it dosn't scare me (but then nothing really does), but it does start to make me concerned becuase if something happens to be on the road, as the car dosn't feel like it would take lightly to all but light swerving. Just my .02 on the subject.
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/18/06 11:24 PM

With solid suspension, the car is very stable at 150mph. But I'll take your word for it Tourige.

Mark

didnt i say IMO? Yea, its an opinion.. yeesh settle the hell down.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/19/06 01:53 AM
At those speeds you have little room for error. Object in the road, pothole, whatever - Just twitch the wheel too hard & you're asking for trouble. A lane change is about all you can safely expect on a public road. Beyond that and your speed is over-taxing your tires, contact patch is very small so a bump or irregularity in the road is exaggerated. Get into an actual need to maneuver & it's all but over, friend.
Posted By: imurdaddytoo sport Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/19/06 02:56 AM
funny, there are very few cars here that can make it to a hundred on a track, imo there is some street racing going on hehe, just playin, i'd never take my car to 100 (besides this one time, completely different story)
it's about the dumbest thing u could do
one thing goes wrong and your pretty much dead
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/19/06 03:25 AM
I'm a professional stunt driver.

Anyway, blown struts are not something I'd want in my car when I'm doing 100+ mph. This was with Konis & Eibachs, and everything else in check. I also don't skimp on POS tires. I'm not trying to turn this into a thread about unsafe driving habits. Believe me, I've learned a thing or two about safety. But like I said, MY car felt extremely sturdy, and planted to the ground at those speeds. It's not to say that everyone should try it with their bone stock, 150k mile GL w/ P195 width all season tires.

Mark
Posted By: Tourige Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/19/06 05:39 AM
I'm a professional stunt driver.

Anyway, blown struts are not something I'd want in my car when I'm doing 100+ mph. This was with Konis & Eibachs, and everything else in check. I also don't skimp on POS tires. I'm not trying to turn this into a thread about unsafe driving habits. Believe me, I've learned a thing or two about safety. But like I said, MY car felt extremely sturdy, and planted to the ground at those speeds. It's not to say that everyone should try it with their bone stock, 150k mile GL w/ P195 width all season tires.

Mark

I agree with you on that.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/19/06 02:04 PM

Mark

Ohh yes Ill remember that Next time im screaming down the straight at Road America that i need to slow down soo im not deemed crazy.

anything over 120mph is bad not to self
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/19/06 02:08 PM
Yea because 3100 lb cars are light at high speed. Don't you know anything about Canadian physics. The faster you go the lighter your car becomes. Contour is one of the most stable cars at high speed is driven.
Posted By: elraido Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/19/06 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Teenage Contour:
Not so sure about planted at 120. I've only been over 100 like 3 or 4 times and it seemed planted then, but I've touched 120 twice when i topped it out (about how fast it will get up to if you factor in the bigger tires by the time the govenor comes on) it starts to remind me why the govenor is there, as the steering starts to get rather light. Of course, I also am in desperate need of new struts so that could have something to do with it But from my very limited experience, it dosn't scare me (but then nothing really does), but it does start to make me concerned becuase if something happens to be on the road, as the car dosn't feel like it would take lightly to all but light swerving. Just my .02 on the subject.

you aren't chipped, are you? Gov's kick in at 112 or 113...once again showing how off a speedo is at highspeeds.
Posted By: Steeda. Re: svt exhuast.........rasp?? - 04/19/06 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Todd aRRRRRRRRR.:
Yea because 3100 lb cars are light at high speed. Don't you know anything about Canadian physics. The faster you go the lighter your car becomes.

crap i knew i was forgeting something