Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 02:09 PM
Does anybody live near the St. Louis, MO area that knows how to optimize a TB? This is the last modification I need to do before purchasing the "chip."

I am willing to drive to the location, and pay the person $80 for their time and effort.

This is VERY important to me, and any volunteers would be GREATLY appreciated!
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 02:15 PM
$80 will get you a nice Craftsman dremel, some countersunk screws, and you'll still have money leftover. And this way, you get a dremel out of it, and some experience.

Mark
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 02:28 PM
I'm not taking the chance of ruining my car by having a screw back itself out and shoot down my intake manifold (yes, I've heard of this happening before).

I've already stated that I'm not a mechanic, and most major processes I've tried, have ended in a dissaster.

About the only things I concern myself with are:

changing the oil, changing headlights/blinkers, and cleaning the UIM and TB.

My own pops (who has worked on many a car in his day) won't even touch the concept of boring out the TB.

The offer is out there, and I wouldn't have put it out there if I could do it myself. After watching someone ELSE do it I MIGHT be able to attempt this. But I'm no machinist, and I wouldn't be crazy enough to pretend I am.

Your advice IS correct Mark, doing this myself would be the BEST idea. I just can't afford for something to go wrong.

These kinds of things are better left to the professionals.
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ike:

My own pops (who has worked on many a car in his day) won't even touch the concept of boring out the TB.

The offer is out there, and I wouldn't have put it out there if I could do it myself. After watching someone ELSE do it I MIGHT be able to attempt this. But I'm no machinist, and I wouldn't be crazy enough to pretend I am.

Your advice IS correct Mark, doing this myself would be the BEST idea. I just can't afford for something to go wrong.

These kinds of things are better left to the professionals.

You don't bore out the TB when you optimize it.

Send me your TB...$80...and I send you my optimized SVT TB.

You'd figure as I own a SVT..the TB would be off said SVT
Posted By: RodneyBur Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 03:32 PM
I hope you are reffering to an SVT TB. 80 will almost buy and SVT TB and the parts needed for the install.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 07:38 PM
its really easy, just do it yourself.
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 09:03 PM
Didn't buckshot used to offer these? I'm assuming not any more?
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Mod-Deth:
You don't bore out the TB when you optimize it.

Exactly. Maybe this is why Ike thinks this is such a tough job. You remove the plate, and pull out the shaft. There are two sides of the shaft that the plate goes between. Just hack one of those sides off with the dremel. Put the plate back in, and throw in some countersunk screws. Voi-la, optimized T/B.

Mark
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 10:04 PM
You can take it even further and dremel down the uneven "ridges" inside the TB. Knife edging is also an option.
Posted By: Tourige Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 10:23 PM
Originally posted by GTO Pete:
You can take it even further and dremel down the uneven "ridges" inside the TB. Knife edging is also an option.

Thats a little more extreme, its also prone to over dremeling and then you need a new TB
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Optimizing the TB - 03/31/06 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

Thats a little more extreme, its also prone to over dremeling and then you need a new TB

Knife edging can be. For the ridges, it's not "prone" to it. There is plenty "meat" there - unless you go absolutely crazy with the dremel. I've optimized ~6 TBs and never had a problem.
Posted By: The Digital Slacker Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/01/06 04:26 AM
optimize mine pete?
Posted By: Buckshot77_dup1 Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/01/06 04:35 AM
Originally posted by posthuman63t:

I still do offer it, just not as a core exchange service so you have to actually send me your TB and I'll optimize it right away and send it back.

Rick
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/01/06 02:02 PM
When I said "bore" I was referring to the process in general. I'm aware that it's a countersinking screw process.

"Countersinking screw process?"
Posted By: posthuman63t Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/01/06 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Buckshot77:
Originally posted by posthuman63t:

I still do offer it, just not as a core exchange service so you have to actually send me your TB and I'll optimize it right away and send it back.

Rick

Looks like I'm gonna have to find a spare TB then.
Posted By: scottd60_dup1 Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/02/06 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

Knife edging can be. For the ridges, it's not "prone" to it. There is plenty "meat" there - unless you go absolutely crazy with the dremel. I've optimized ~6 TBs and never had a problem.

Dremeling down the edges to remove the ridges will work but will not give the best/cleanest results and can take a lot of time. I have done a few and along with modifying the TB shaft on a Milling machine (not by hand) I taper the intake side and the output side of the TB on a lathe to get a perfectly smooth finish and even transition from the 60mm bore to the outer edge. Also by doing the TB shaft in a mil you get precise accuracy and a perfect countersink on the TB plate. This is an example of what Pete is referring toâ?¦these are a SVT TB non-optimized and an optimized 65mm Mustang TB. Note the outer edge difference between the two (the TB shafts have not yet been done in this pic), the SVT edge is thick and the Mustang is very thin â??razor likeâ?. This eliminates any ridges from the intake tube into the TB creating smoother airflow.

Posted By: myconsvt Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/03/06 06:45 PM
i was thinkin about doin this to my TB but can someone write specific directions that i could follow.... thank you
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/03/06 06:49 PM
Search...and ye shall receive...

http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=32
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/03/06 06:51 PM
Read the Stickies.
Posted By: Stazi Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/03/06 08:17 PM
I optimise TB's too. If you want more info - PM me.
Posted By: Ike_dup1 Re: Optimizing the TB - 04/04/06 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Stazi:
I optimise TB's too. If you want more info - PM me.

When I get my truck running, I will hold you to that Stazi.
© CEG Archives