Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: tblazer_dup1 svt y-pipe - 08/04/04 03:25 AM
Is there a difference in the different model years y-pipes? I have been looking at the after market y-pipes and they have that sharp bend near the flange. It looks on my 2000 that the bend is mandrel. So what is the advantage of the after market y-pipe? Am I not seeing what's inside my stock y-pipe. Also do ALL the svt's resonators go down to 2"? I bought my car new # 2111 of 2150 and it looks like it's 2.25" all the way thru. What's up?
Posted By: 00SVTGA Re: svt y-pipe - 08/04/04 05:48 AM

This past weekend I finaly talked my buddy into helping me optimize my stock y-pipe on my 2000 csvt. I feel I must warn you that doing this is a pretty big pain in the a$$.
Altough it is well worth the effort.

There is a crushed bend where the two pipes off the headers join into the y at the rear flange of the y pipe.

Once you take it apart you will see what a major bottle neck this is .I know someone has pics of this.look under CEG photos on the main web site page and its under a heading of someone doing a 3L swap.

The 2000 from what I under stand and on my car has a three bolt flange. other svt produced mid year 99 and 98 have a two bolt flange .

This is the reason I believe the borla cat back is only made for 98-99 contour svt's due to the different flange. most aftermarket y-pipe give you a choice.

If you deside to go the cheap route like I did you will see what a pain cutting off the heatshield and welding the two halfs back together really is.

I was able to use a sawzaw a welder and file to do the complet task. but I could have used a grinding stone !

Once you over come the task of optimizing the y-pipe the benifit it well worth the effort you will notice a difference a big difference .I'm guessing a solid 5whp and 5 ftlbs of torque at the wheels.the car will have better throttle responce and it will get to redline a whole hell of a lot faster. you will really like this mod.

Before with my yokohama AVS ES100's I was lucky if i could bark the tires into second gear now with my current mods it SPINS yes SPINS the tires into second gear.

Sound difference is a little deeper but besides that theres no rasp or drone to note. good luck. IF you have the money buy an after market y-pipe if your on a budget like me this will take a few hours and it helps to know someone that can weld.

------------------
2000 silver frost svt

-yokohama AVS ES100's 225-45-16
-optimized throttle body
-optimized y-pipe
-K@N RU-3530,KKM maf adapter,rubbermaid breadbox heatshield
-fsvt fuel pump
-mufflers removed and replaced with straight pipes
-roush shift knob
-white HVAC overlays
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: svt y-pipe - 08/04/04 06:34 AM
Stock Y-pipe has a CRUSH flange.

Best option is to modify your stock Y-pipe by removing it and replacing it with a 2.5" flange.

Want more info and pictures then SEARCH. It's a well hashed out topic!
Posted By: tblazer_dup1 Re: svt y-pipe - 08/05/04 11:14 AM
Thanks, I figured there was a reason and I saw that there was an outer skin on the y-pipe, to hide the crush I quess. Did you do anything else to your exhaust? The precats, resonator, etc?
And Demon, once again thanks. You are a wealth of info! And you always respond quickly. You are a HUGE asset to this club!!!!! THANKS again!!!
Posted By: BlackBirdRacing Re: svt y-pipe - 08/05/04 11:08 PM
Originally posted by tblazer:
Thanks, I figured there was a reason and I saw that there was an outer skin on the y-pipe, to hide the crush I quess. Did you do anything else to your exhaust? The precats, resonator, etc?
And Demon, once again thanks. You are a wealth of info! And you always respond quickly. You are a HUGE asset to this club!!!!! THANKS again!!!

HMMMM!!

Is that sarcasim I smell?
Posted By: JEDsContour Re: svt y-pipe - 08/06/04 04:45 AM
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:
HMMMM!!

Iâ??m sure it's not. tBlazer sounds like a real enthusiast â?? though maybe he is laying it on a little deep!

I have to say that anyone who has been here awhile sees that DemonSVT really does have a phenomenal understanding of what works with our cars, and I think he is pretty damn good about sharing his experience and understanding.

So for whatever itâ??s worth, I second tBlazerâ??s sentiment â?? Thank you DemonSVT, you definitely make CEG more interesting and valuable!
Posted By: robb99se Re: svt y-pipe - 08/06/04 10:59 AM
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:
Originally posted by tblazer:

HMMMM!!

Not at all!! Tom is a 1st class guy
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Sharing What??? - 08/06/04 07:55 PM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:
I have to say that anyone who has been here awhile sees that DemonSVT really does have a phenomenal understanding of what works with our cars, and I think he is pretty damn good about sharing his experience and understanding.

Then the tuners here will love my current projects...

LM-1 output cable (done)
S-AFC input cable (done)
LM-1 Aux Input cable with regulated RPM converter (designed and waiting on a few chips)

...and those are just the ones I can talk about.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Sharing What??? - 08/07/04 12:51 AM
I hate you. In a good way.
Posted By: dubkatz_dup1 Re: Sharing What??? - 08/07/04 05:29 PM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:

LM-1 output cable (done)
S-AFC input cable (done)
LM-1 Aux Input cable with regulated RPM converter (designed and waiting on a few chips)

Am i the only one in wich that makes absolutly 0 sense?
Does this have something to do with being able to tune the air/fuel and timing with out have to go to a shop. Isnt that what you have the tweeker for? Or am i way out in right field on this one?
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Sharing What??? - 08/08/04 01:32 AM
def not the only one but everybody else is quiet and tries to look like they are in the know

I'm guessing it's way past the level of sophistication of TwEECer though.

I wonder how soon we will have enough interested ppl to justify EEC forum. (like this one: corral.net EEC Tech forum) That would be geeky

I did some searching yesterday (cause I too was interested in WTF Demon is talking about). Some interesting stuff, admittedly not easy to jump start. Anybody cares to post a link to a decent 101 page (like this one)? Perhaps separate thread and a sticky?
TwEECer
http://tweecer.oplnk.net/

all thread highjackers should be prosecuted

Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Projects - 08/08/04 04:33 AM
LM-1 is a wideband O2 controller made by Innovate. IMO nothing can touch it on the market!

I built an LM-1 output cable that can do 2 things.

The 1st channel simulates a narrow band O2 sensor (very easy circuit)

This means I could technically run my whole car off of just the wideband. Also the adaptive control would be run by an extremely more accurate sensor.
(I have the rear O2's turned off but MIL's do the same thing)

The 2nd channel feeds the S-AFC a modified voltage signal.

Therefore the input to the S-AFC allows me to have the actual A/F ratio (as in 13.2, 14.7, etc) display in real time on my S-AFC.
The S-AFC is an exceptional digital gauge package.

Also my S-AFC can log it along with it's other inputs (rpm, airflow, etc)

So basically I have a VERY VISIBLE and 100% accurate A/F gauge that can be logged verses other inputs and replayed from my driver's seat without needing a laptop.

The LM-1 Aux input cable is just like it says. An input cable for the LM-1 unit with a built in RPM converter.
The resolution will be about 5 times as good as the one Innovate sells and the response time about 10 fold. It also costs about 1/10 of theirs too. Hence why I am building it myself.
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Projects - 08/08/04 05:27 AM
It took some time to digest...

One thing is for sure though. Nobody can say your approach to tuning is anything less than fundamental
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Projects - 08/09/04 05:22 AM
I call it Fun.

The wife calls it Mental.

I guess that really does make it range from Fun d mental...
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Projects - 08/09/04 12:55 PM
I call it Fun.

The wife calls it Mental.

I guess that really does make it range from Fun d mental...

He's here all week folks....
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Projects - 08/10/04 01:04 AM
Quote:

He's here all week folks....

Posted By: Derk-xB Re: Projects - 08/10/04 01:40 AM
Demon, I wanna see a picture of your dash one of these days. I bet it displays more information at any given moment than my brain can digest. And it's accurate, to boot!
That's cool info, though. Here I just settled on that dinky blinky light A/F Autometer gauge. I always tell people, "It's really not as informative as I had hoped..."

Thread - officially hijacked
Posted By: tblazer_dup1 Re: svt y-pipe - 08/11/04 03:59 AM
It's not sarcasism. Demon is the first to respond to my posts and will explain it to me as many times as it takes for me to understand. You have to be extremely knowledgable and patient to perform all the mods he has done. I know from experience NONE of these mods work right out of the box, for these cars or others. You have to be able to fabricate, redesign and reengineer most of the aftermarket parts to perform better or at least as advertised. Demon, what do you do for a living? Thanks again for all your responses, no sense doing the same job over and over if some knows from expereince.
This is one of the only performance cars I've owned that aftermarket parts, or even parts were available. I had a TR250, TVR and a Lotus 7, to name a few. If you wanted to enhance the performance you had to come up with the idea then make it. and remake it and remake and remake it till it worked. The same with a lot of the parts. I had the Lotus doing 1.1 G's in 1986, with street tires, inboard coilovers like the old F1. I put a 13B rotary in it, over 200 HP. The car tipped the scales at 1250lbs. I had the TVR handling close to that, but could never get the TR250 to handle the way I wanted. I'm sure Demon would have done close to the same things I did, he seems to like high horses and like slideing thru windy roads with control.
Posted By: bnoon_dup1 Re: Sharing What??? - 08/16/04 05:41 PM
Originally posted by JEDsContour:

Then the tuners here will love my current projects...

LM-1 output cable (done)
S-AFC input cable (done)

...and those are just the ones I can talk about.

I, for one, love hearing about your projects! Since I'm involved in tuning my 18 year old GM computer, I can appreciate what you're doing for the uncracked code and logging priorities you have. Logging = your only fallback for changing binary codes that may or may not do what you think it does. Some fields are set values, some are mutipliers... 5% change on a set value is not much, but a 5% change on a multiplier = OOPS!!!

How far along are you on cracking things with TwEECer anyway? Gotta tell you, I hated writing my own code to expand some resolution on one of my maps... I'd hate to be the one trying to crack things...
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Electronics 101 - 08/16/04 11:00 PM
Originally posted by bnoon:
How far along are you on cracking things with TwEECer anyway? Gotta tell you, I hated writing my own code to expand some resolution on one of my maps... I'd hate to be the one trying to crack things...

I can program just about everything that "should" be "played" with.

I can program several things that really "should not" be "played" with.

I have a few things I can change (easily that is) but that I still don't have any "real" information on as of yet.

I can program all the transmission functions. Too bad I don't have a slushbox. Well NOT really too bad I guess...

I had not looked more into it for a while until my IMRC died a month or so ago. They I had no choice but to get off my duff or spend $100+ on something I wasn't using anyway. It was a hard choice...

I have the rpm converter circuit designed and laid out.
Matter of fact that's my plans for tonight to start soldering everything together and testing the circuits.

As I normally do I think I over engineered it but then again it's built in such a way that there will never be any input voltage deviation, beyond minimum ripple, & incredible output resolution. (It has a built in voltage doubler and regulator so input voltage is fixed and above the minimum needed for the opamps to stay accurate. )

The higher the rpm (Hz input) the more accurate the circuit.
For instance it has a +/- 30 rpm deviation at 4000 rpm.
At 8000 rpm it's only +/- 12 rpm. (4.86v on a 5v capped scale)

I used that as the top of the scale to maximize resolution per Hz. (That formula was the easy one - the V ripple verses C2 was a freakin' PITA! )

For reference the LM-1 unit is quite accurate itself and has minimum deviation of + or - 50 rpm. (100rpm total) However their's gets worse the higher the rpm. (for instance their minimum deviation at 8k rpm is +/- 80rpm)
They trade off less resolution and response time for self learning rpm scaling (very cool from a business standpoint!!! Love to see that circuit) and a higher rpm scale.
In the grand scheme even that minimum 160rpm total deviation is not much really. Though I don't think they factored in voltage ripple. That looks like just the deviation of their chip and circuit.

Also my version cost about $30 total and I can build 2 cables plus enough IC's and misc stuff left over to build 3 rpm switches of any kind.
($60-80 for an MSD switch - What mark up! )

I do feel like I've had a years worth of EE classes compiled into 1 month though...
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: Electronics 101 - 08/16/04 11:55 PM
Demon you are mental I need a electronics lesson sometime
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Electronics 101 - 08/17/04 12:54 AM
I'm in awe....I didn't understand a single thing you said, but it sounds fantastic!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Electronics 101 - 08/17/04 01:32 AM
Demon, say it in french & they'll soil themselves!!
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Electronics 101 - 08/17/04 01:43 AM
101 my 4SS... I once TAed 400 level electronics labsfor physics major back at MSU . I mean... we had no idea...

being a programmer w/ millions of lines of mission critical code behind the belt I'd be less impressed if you told me you can hack into EEC and reroute little green men in there...
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Electronics 101 - 08/17/04 03:45 AM
Originally posted by alex_96GL:
101 my 4SS... I once TAed 400 level electronics labsfor physics major back at MSU . I mean... we had no idea...

being a programmer w/ millions of lines of mission critical code behind the belt I'd be less impressed if you told me you can hack into EEC and reroute little green men in there...

I have mad respect for all EE folks. Especially now...

I would say I have a very good base level knowledge of it and leave it at that.
I can design and build circuits quite well considering. I guess I am just pretty good at mapping everything out in my head logically.

Also I have a handy helper if need be. My wife's an Electrical Engineer that designs Avionic test equipment.

My original majors in college eons ago started as 2 years worth of CS & ME so the knowledge base is there. It's just a wee bit rusty in places.

Oh and about the EEC code.

There are gnomes in there. They magically run out and stop the engine from overspinning if you pass redline.

Seriously...
© CEG Archives