Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: tjbugs1 Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/19/04 08:11 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2474565368&category=33677

So i saw this on ebay and was thinking of geting it. Dose anyone have it and if so dose it look good? Is it hard to put on? because it dosent come with instructions. is there any where else online that i can get the same set for less or with the instructions? thanks Peace
Posted By: Jason43 Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/19/04 10:53 AM
Those look pretty decent. 30 bucks isn't a bad deal at all if they go for that.
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/19/04 02:47 PM
I think I bought my silver reverse gauges from them, they work fine.

There are a couple of points.

1: The new overlays power wires will prevent you from completly closing the gauge cluster. They get in the way of it snapping shut (at least they did in mine) so be ready for that. However, when you screw the cluster back into the dash the cover is firmly held in place, so it's okay.

You can see the power wires coming out from the top there, that area is normally tightly spaced against the gauge cluster cover.

2: The switch that controls the intensity & color is a small rectangular switch with a rotary knob. I couldn't find a place to mount on my dash so I modified a dash insert

It works fine, however the wires that connect to the rotary switch are TINY so if you screw with them, be careful, they'll snap right off and you'll have to re-solder them.

Besides those tiny concerns they're great. I love my gauges!
Posted By: tjbugs1 Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/19/04 07:46 PM
What if I was to drill a hole in the top of the gauge cluster? Would that alow it to line up flush? Plus, i saw in your pics, looks real good by the way, that you still have some green in there. Is there any way to change that to say blue or red?
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/19/04 08:21 PM
1: The green is the actualy backing of the old gauge covers. They aren't removed, they are just overlayed. There's 5 bulbs in the back of the cluster that some people are modding by using LED's but I have not seen a HOW-TO with the actual bulb replacement. There's some pics, but I'm not sure how to replace a bulb with a LED so I didn't. But with a blue LED, the needles would be a bright whitish blue...

2: No, drilling at the top wont do. If you look at the pic, at the power cord for RPM's & MPH the wires begin at a point which is right where the clear covers snap back in. So they are blocking the cover from closing from the back, not the top. Now you could mod it I suppose and bend the overlays a little back, then go around some parts, but the overlays themselves are bendable, but not THAT bendable. I think they would pop themselves up from the cluster so that's why I didn't do it. I never figured out a way to safely close the clear cover and have it snap back in so I didn't. However, the cover is screwed into the dash and so is part of the cluster, so the whole assembly, once put back in the dash is held in place. You won't have to worry about loose parts.
So i saw this on ebay and was thinking of geting it.

Go for it. Except now that you've posted the link to it on here you'll be bidding against 50 other CEGers who also want it.
hey jsut to give you the heads up check ur cluster to see if it is cable or electronic, if cable the speedo gauge will not work on ur cluster. it will cover the miles and trip odometer. jsut to let u know. I know cuz i have an early 95 speedo cable
Originally posted by nOsSvTcOnToUr:
hey jsut to give you the heads up check ur cluster to see if it is cable or electronic, if cable the speedo gauge will not work on ur cluster. it will cover the miles and trip odometer. jsut to let u know. I know cuz i have an early 95 speedo cable

They are overlays, you still use the stock speedometer.

However, IIRC, some of the speedometers have the trip odometer reset in a different place. You want to make sure it fits.
go for it......ebay is great...everything cheap and it works
Posted By: outkast Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/21/04 01:12 PM
DO it!I have those gauges also and I stole Nates Idea of
putting the switch in the dash looks so,so good
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/21/04 02:01 PM
Originally posted by outkast:
DO it!I have those gauges also and I stole Nates Idea of
putting the switch in the dash looks so,so good

You stole my idea!

Damn you!
Posted By: tjbugs1 Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/21/04 09:38 PM
I win!!! ITS MINE ALL MINE!! Had my G/F pick it up for me(I gave her the money for it). Cant want to get them and put them in. Ill let you guys know and get some pics up. YES I WIN!!!!
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/22/04 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
You stole my idea!

Damn you!

That picture if you can't see it should be this
Posted By: outkast Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/22/04 02:30 PM
Sorry Nate!I had to do it
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/22/04 05:59 PM
No worries

I still have one insert left that has nothing in it. I may put some gizmo there soon enough, but what?
Posted By: outkast Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/23/04 02:55 AM
I have no space on my panel!I have a switch for the panel
guages and pod.I,ll update pics soon.Check my link below.
Posted By: dartsoccer8 Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/23/04 02:48 PM
i just bought the same ones a month ago. ever since the install i haven't gotten it perfect. either the needles were a lil off, or the overlays rub on the needles. i've had the dash apart 6 times since then, taping, glueing and doing whatever i can to make them stick. good luck.
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/23/04 05:34 PM
Originally posted by dartsoccer8:
i just bought the same ones a month ago. ever since the install i haven't gotten it perfect. either the needles were a lil off, or the overlays rub on the needles. i've had the dash apart 6 times since then, taping, glueing and doing whatever i can to make them stick. good luck.

You didn't take the needles off did you?

I used gorilla glue to hold mine down, and I had to go back twice as well. Since then, no problems.
Posted By: tjbugs1 Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/24/04 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Nate'sTour:
You didn't take the needles off did you?

So do when i put them on do i leave them on?
Posted By: Pre98 Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/26/04 03:35 AM
You know guys, not to bump into the questions, I have one of my own however. Mine are agreeably beautiful I took them out however. Reason being is that they didn't match pretty with the mileage and it looked like a blue/green yellow/green hodgepodge of well...crap. Do you guys run with the interior lighting off or do you just deal with the missmatch?

Edit: Missmatch referring to the stock lighting in the gauge cluster leaking through
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/26/04 02:08 PM
The hole for the overlays is large enough that when you slide them on put them over the end of the needle first, then work them back to the back part of the needle, just jimmy them past it, they'll snap right over the end and there you go. Very easy.

Never remove the needles!
Posted By: outkast Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/26/04 08:33 PM
I have red needles from an svt gauge pod.It looks very good
with my cluster.Sorry yours look like crap
Posted By: 98SVT_LEO Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/27/04 10:15 AM
I'd avoid buying items like that on Ebay unless you are sure that the seller will back their products 100% I've heard too many horror stories......however I did buy a SVT license plate frame and was happy
Posted By: DankBud42o Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/30/04 04:24 PM
first of all u can get them on ebay for 25 bucks. second of all install wasnt too hard. u just have to slide them over the needles. i used double sided tape to keep them down but i recommend super glue. the tape is starting to give and my gas gauge overlay is a bit slanted. third of all, the power wires do get in the way of closing it all the way but all u need to do is cut little slits out to fit them in there perfect. mine snapped closed after i did that. u cant even notice that theres little slits in the pod. i have a 4cyl and i bought a v6 cluster just to do this mod. i even hooked up a tach wire.... these gauges are one of the best looking mods ive done to my car. good luck. o btw, DONT touch the back of the inverter! i did it on accident and shocked the sh!t outa myself!!!
Posted By: coatsy Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/30/04 07:07 PM
Originally posted by DankBud42o:
first of all u can get them on ebay for 25 bucks. second of all install wasnt too hard. u just have to slide them over the needles. i used double sided tape to keep them down but i recommend super glue. the tape is starting to give and my gas gauge overlay is a bit slanted. third of all, the power wires do get in the way of closing it all the way but all u need to do is cut little slits out to fit them in there perfect. mine snapped closed after i did that. u cant even notice that theres little slits in the pod. i have a 4cyl and i bought a v6 cluster just to do this mod. i even hooked up a tach wire.... these gauges are one of the best looking mods ive done to my car. good luck. o btw, DONT touch the back of the inverter! i did it on accident and shocked the sh!t outa myself!!!

I would suggest undoing the neg battery terminal prior to this work. Avoids unnecessary shock.
Posted By: DankBud42o Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 04/30/04 07:18 PM
Originally posted by coatsy:
Originally posted by DankBud42o:

I would suggest undoing the neg battery terminal prior to this work. Avoids unnecessary shock.

actually it was after install. i put the dimmer/on/off switch under my footwell (near the wire harness) and i went to switch it to green and ZAP!
Still have not got it in yet hope it will be here by this week end so I can get them in. If people would like I can make a HOW TO DO with lots of pics. SOON OH SO VERY SOON
Posted By: dpa43_dup1 Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 05/05/04 06:26 AM
You should enjoy them. I know I do mine.
These are from my 94 Probe.

You shouldn't have any problems with that seller neither, I have bought several items from them and NEVER had any trouble. As for all the items that I have bought off of E-BAY I have never had any trouble what so ever.
Posted By: tjbugs1 THEY ARE HERE!!!!!! - 05/15/04 09:57 PM
I got them Friday and put them in firday night. SOSOSOSOSO sweet they are the niceset mod I have ever seen!!!!! I will get some pics up latter to night so you can see how good they look
Posted By: auiotour Re: THEY ARE HERE!!!!!! - 05/15/04 10:49 PM
anyone know who or where I can get some indiglo's that have absolutly nothing on them, they are going to be covered up for when I do my gauges.
Posted By: tjbugs1 Re: THEY ARE HERE!!! PICS!! - 05/16/04 02:04 AM
Well heres the day pic still a few tell its dark out.

Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: THEY ARE HERE!!! PICS!! - 05/16/04 02:29 AM
I wish I had those. I also wish I had a tach
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: THEY ARE HERE!!!!!! - 05/16/04 06:06 AM
Originally posted by auiotour:
anyone know who or where I can get some indiglo's that have absolutly nothing on them, they are going to be covered up for when I do my gauges.

Go on ebay and search for "Electroluminescent foil" or google it as well. That is the stuff that indiglos are lit by. Its fairly cheap for a decent sized sheet and pretty versatile, you'll see what i mean once you look around a bit.

EDIT:

auio, here's some links you may find interesting:

http://world-electroluminescent.com/electroluminescent-new.html

http://www.elwirecheap.com/

http://www.beingseen.com/sheets.html

Pricey, but good color choice.
Posted By: auiotour Re: THEY ARE HERE!!!!!! - 05/16/04 04:01 PM
Originally posted by amarv12:

Go on ebay and search for "Electroluminescent foil" or google it as well. That is the stuff that indiglos are lit by. Its fairly cheap for a decent sized sheet and pretty versatile, you'll see what i mean once you look around a bit.

EDIT:

last question, do they come with dial so I can change the color from green to blue?
Posted By: tjbugs1 Re: THEY ARE HERE!!! PICS!! - 05/16/04 08:04 PM
HEre you gos. The pics dont do just for them they are SOSO nice OMG I think i have to go change

As you can see I took out the dash lights so that It wont have that ulgy green still up there and the nidels dont light up. For now that is. I am going to get the new lights on the LED GB
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: THEY ARE HERE!!!!!! - 05/16/04 09:07 PM

EDIT:

last question, do they come with dial so I can change the color from green to blue?

Umm, not sure if thy all come with a dial that allows blue to green. But i'm sure most all of them do have a power supply for at least one color, i believe last time i looked on ebay they all did.

Fwiw, the variable power supply that came with my indiglos is made by a company called "Epicenter" model no: E12-908D i guess search around the net. To be honest i dunno where you could find them.

Btw tjbugs1, sorry for the hijack, the guages look sweet.
Posted By: tjbugs1 Re: THEY ARE HERE!!!!!! - 05/17/04 09:21 AM
Btw tjbugs1, sorry for the hijack, the guages look sweet.

Its all good and thanks
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: THEY ARE HERE!!!!!! - 11/10/04 12:22 AM
I don't know, I kinda like mine better. And what happened to your needles, did you remove the bulbs from the back?
Does anybody have some SVT needles that they want to get rid of?

Posted By: 96 M edition Re: Saw this on ebay, should i get it? - 11/11/04 01:28 PM
Originally posted by outkast:
I have red needles from an svt gauge pod.It looks very good
with my cluster.Sorry yours look like crap

thats exac. what i was gonna say, svt needels look much better than the yellow ones
© CEG Archives